Tracking Collections

Where are you from and what are your interests?
elclarkey

Tracking Collections

Unread post by elclarkey »

I am new to collecting playing cards and have a few questions.

1) What is the best site or app to track your collection of cards? (I found one called Portfolio52.com - is this the best one?)

2) Are card collections limited traditional card games? I play a game called Pairs (http://www.playpairs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which utilizes a specially numbered deck. Would I be able to add this on a site like Portfolio52?

Thanks,
ElClarkey
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Tracking Collections

Unread post by ecNate »

Yes, Portfolio 52 is pretty much the best site for tracking collection, at least online. Some people have created custom spreadsheets or even applications, but for an online service and crowd sourced content it's pretty much the only one. P52 does have a section of forums here on United Cardists as well

Within those forums you will find the Add/Edit Guidelines
* Do NOT add card games that do not also function as a standard deck (has numbered cards, courts, suits, etc). Exceptions can be made for card games that also are a full deck, alternate or additional suits, alternate indices, using numbers instead of JKQ, or of course alternate conventions worldwide, etc. For example, do not add Uno, Hanabi or Cards Against Humanity , but a card game like Wizard would work because it can also easily be identified as a standard deck for use in other standard card games.
This means that Pairs, a game of which I have 2 copies myself by the way, would not belong on Portfolio52 because it's not a standard playing card deck since it's really a card game and not a multi-function playing card deck.
elclarkey

exNate - Thank you so much for your reply. Concise, and fully answered my questions.

Two more: Is there a site that tracks games like Pairs, Hanabi, Uno decks, etc. or maybe an app? I like P52 for standard deck games, but I'd also like to track variant decks for games I play like Pairs, Hanabi, etc.

Boardgamegeek.com somewhat has a function called "Versions" under the main card game name, but it really isn't geared towards playing card collecting. I really like P52 for the visuals and if there was another site/app like that for other styles of games etc., that would be awesome.

Second Question: Is P52 good for country specific decks like German cards, or Japanese Hanafudu style cards?
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

P52 works for any standard playing card deck, including for standards used in other countries. In the case of Spanish or German decks this is considered alternate suits from French/English/US versions and certainly fits the definition. Hanafuda like Tarot fall into a sort of grey area, but certainly would meet the spirit of the definition and I would think be workable and inside the scope of P52.

For the others, BoardGameGeek is the best option for you. If you click on a game and 'View in your collection' you can then add additional copies and also customize the image and title. This should work even if there are not specific variants created. Once you have all copies of your games and proper versions with images and titles you prefer, you can just use the view that shows images instead of a list. Use a URL shorterner and always use that to refer to it. I'm not sure what else you need here?
My example, go to page 2 to see both copies of Pairs each with specific image Or here is the URL shortened version for mine - https://goo.gl/ZcL7Qa

EDIT - So really, if you wanted to have all of them in the same place you could simply use BGG to add all your decks there and then add the standard playing cards entry with multiple copies and customize the titles and images for each of them for your standard playing card decks. That would give you all in one place. However, I would suggest using BGG and P52 together as each is meant to be used.
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

I second Nate's suggestion of Boardgamegeek as the only one that comes close.

Nice to see an interest in alternate card games. I play Koi Koi with Hanafuda cards, and wanted to learn Skat and play it with my German decks, but couldn't find anyone to play Skat with. I'm interested in the Pairs game too.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
elclarkey

Nate you are the man! Thank you so much for answering my questions. I am going to follow your advice.

dazzleguts - I want to learn Koi Koi and Skat. I dont' have a German Deck yet, as I'm new to the playing card collecting hobby, but we have a bunch of the Asian decks. We are heading to NYC this weekend and I may swing by some of the ethnic neighborhoods to see if I can find a shop that sells cards and/or ethnic board games (even though they are probably cheaper on Amazon, I just like checking out the ethnic goods).

Pairs is a fun, casual game. Each individual deck has 1-2 unique games designed just for that deck (although it is possible to play all of the variant games with any Pairs deck). I actually have a dialogue with CheapAss Games right now and trying to help them get those variant games listed on BGG (was thinking here too, hence my initial post). :-)

Thanks again to both of you. I'm on BGG all the time as elclarkey. If I can ever answer a question or help you out, feel free to send me a PM.