old to manipulations, new to cardistry!

Where are you from and what are your interests?
darkinertia

old to manipulations, new to cardistry!

Unread post by darkinertia »

hi im darkinertia from virginia and i just got into cardistry hard a few months ago. my brother specterhaterew has been into cardistry for years and has been helping me recently. i knew about flourishing ever since i got into pen spinning back in 04, but to be completely honest, i was turned off by it because of de'vo and how it seemed like this secret society that didnt like newcomers lol....i just remember making fun of some of my pen spinning friends that were into flourishing, yelling "COBRA CUT!" whenever they did something :P now i regret not getting into it eariler, but im here now!

ive practice most manipulations to an intermediate stage on everything from pen spinning, speedcubing, poi, glowstringing, etc...and to see this whole new world is amazing! since ive been pen spinning for so long, i ran into a wall a couple years into it where i eventually learned every possible trick there was and i quickly fell out of it. but i see with cardistry, there so much to learn, and endless possibilities, and im here to be a sponge! i love learning and i hope i can do that here :D
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Re: old to manipulations, new to cardistry!

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Welcome, darkinertia! Cool name :)

I'm sad to hear that you got put off by De'vo and his shady ways, I suspect he had that effect on quite a few. Better late than never, I guess ;) For me it started there, and I found The Flourishman to be somewhat of a positive counter to De'vo. I still look through his Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes from time to time, there's so much stuff in there.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
darkinertia

Unread post by darkinertia »

yeah the whole secretive boys club vibe i got from the superhandz/handlordz site i was put off by, it almost seemed like they didnt want people to expand the community lol. even now i think its kinda weird how theres some flourishes you have to pay for considering most manipulations people are glad to pass on new tech they found but im guessing that stemmed from the magic side of things.

so if there was one book/dvd you would recommend for someone to learn the most techniques for the best value possible, would it be Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes? ive been looking for a good way that i can slowly climb a ladder of difficulty, since i go through youtube videos and a lot of it is over my head with the difficulty of certain moves lol
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Welcome to the boards! :)
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Sent you a PM :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki