Hello everybody, Greetings from Austria

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Azid

Hello everybody, Greetings from Austria

Unread post by Azid »

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to card collecting, and finally decided to make an account here.

This whole thing startet after playing poker with my friends from time to time. We always used cheap cards to play poker but after 3-4 poker nights the cards were crap.
So i decided to buy cards with better quality. After browsing google , amazon and ebay i found Bicycle playing cards in so many different designs and ended up to place an order with some decks at a magic shop in germany.
Few days later i got my package and was fascinated what i got (never had any playing cards with embossed finish in my hands before).
Looking for more and more decks got me to this forum, where i read every day since ~1 year now as a guest.
By watching deck reviews on youtube i got quickly to some cardistry videos and was shocked what two hands can do with 52 cards. Since that i try to learn some flourishes & cuts with more and less success. :lol:
I really got addicted to playing cards and my collection grow up to 777 decks right now.
Back to my friends and playing poker... well.... now we use COPAG plastic cards because having sweaty hands, eating chips and smoking cigarettes while playing poker is a death sentence to every deck made of paper.

Anyway, i'm happy to be here because i learnd so much things about cards from this forum, especially what's new and upcomming decks. Nice to meet you all.

Regards, Azid
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Hello everybody, Greetings from Austria

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Welcome to UC!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
nECr0MaNCeD
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

Willkommen bei UC !

I love Austria. I lived in Vienna for 8 months and can't wait to return.
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Azid wrote: Back to my friends and playing poker... well.... now we use COPAG plastic cards because having sweaty hands, eating chips and smoking cigarettes while playing poker is a death sentence to every deck made of paper.
So true. I also got into collecting by just wanting to have more fun decks to play with and still occasionally will buy an extra deck that I really like to duplicate for both collection and playing with. My wife really likes Natalia's decks (Russian Folk Art, Christmas), Emmanuel Jose's are always fun too, plus the poker nights are more interesting with some of the darker themed decks. HOWEVER, you do need to take care with who you use these with and under what circumstances as you say. Playing cribbage with my family is fine, but a 12 year old destroyed a deck with a fumbled shuffle and I would never want to play fast games like Nerts with such decks, it would lead to many bent cards. As you say, plastic decks and regular Bikes have a place in these situations when greasy food is around too!

Anyhow, welcome!
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

Thanks Mike

nECr0MaNCeD wrote:Willkommen bei UC !

I love Austria. I lived in Vienna for 8 months and can't wait to return.
Danke ;) Hope you enjoyed it, Vienna is about 1,5 hours from my city if you drive with a car.

ecNate wrote: So true. I also got into collecting by just wanting to have more fun decks to play with and still occasionally will buy an extra deck that I really like to duplicate for both collection and playing with. My wife really likes Natalia's decks (Russian Folk Art, Christmas), Emmanuel Jose's are always fun too, plus the poker nights are more interesting with some of the darker themed decks. HOWEVER, you do need to take care with who you use these with and under what circumstances as you say. Playing cribbage with my family is fine, but a 12 year old destroyed a deck with a fumbled shuffle and I would never want to play fast games like Nerts with such decks, it would lead to many bent cards. As you say, plastic decks and regular Bikes have a place in these situations when greasy food is around too!

Anyhow, welcome!
Thank you,
Yes, my friends don't know how to do a nice shuffle and taking care about cards. You should have seen their faces when i first time did a faro with a bridge :lol:.
Emmanuel Jose's decks are one of my favorites too. I think his 5th (sports themed) deck will launch Kickstarter soon, as he finished the artwork for the cards late december 2015. Delicious campaign startet march last year an he is already working on an fashion themed deck.

Regards , Azid
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Welcome to the forum Azid! Sounds like you have a decent collection already and hope you can show some of your cards when you have a chance! :ugdance: Also, you should look into Portfolio52 if you are not already as it is a great place to maintain a list of your decks and allow others to see what you have in your collection.

Thanks for the info on Emmanuel's Sports deck and next deck (Fashion I presume), I too love his work and look forward to the Sport deck KS project :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Azid

Unread post by Azid »

@shermjack:

No, i'm not at Portfolio52. Maybe i will do this one day, but it is a lot of work.
You wanted some photos, here we go :)
Sorry for the bad quality (made with my phone)

1. My collection, all sealed

2. Sealed multiple decks (some of these maybe opened, sold or traded one day)

3.Opened decks (most are still like new)

Regards, Azid