Hello. New to the site, but not to card hobby

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Rustavius
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Hello. New to the site, but not to card hobby

Unread post by Rustavius »

Hi there,

My name's Ritch and I'm in the northeast USA.

My love for card games began when I was about 8 years old and my grandfather taught me how to play solitaire. This laid the groundwork for what was to come. :)

When I was 15/16, I fell very ill. I won't go into the gruesome details, save to say that I was sick for a good 10 months. During that time, my best friend in the world was my blue deck of Tally-Ho Circle Backs and the uncountable number of hands of solitaire we played during my sleepless, bed ridden nights. 30 years later, I'm happy, I'm healthy and I'm leading a very full life, so I certainly have made a full recovery. :D

After my illness subsided and as I regained my strength, I felt it was time to get a new deck of cards or two given how badly beat up my Tally-Ho's were. A new deck or two quickly became 15 or 20, and I'm sure I don't need to explain that to the good folks on these boards.

Time marches on, and my love of card decks took a backseat for complex reasons I don't want to bore all of you with. But now in the final weeks of 2015, I gave in to my longing for my card decks and bought several new ones. And of course I found all of the old ones buried in a box downstairs. Most were salvageable, but a couple were finished. That's okay, because I ordered 9 more today from Art of Play; had to take advantage of their Black Friday deal, and two of the decks I ordered are replacements.

I'm happy to be re-entering this hobby, and I'm happy to have found people who share this interest. Because I've been out of circulation for at/near 15 years, please bear with me if I ask stupid questions or post to the wrong forums.

For the record, blue Tally-Ho Circle Backs will always hold a special place in my heart, and that was one of the replacement decks I ordered from Art of Play today. I know they aren't flashy or anything special on the whole; to me they'll always be that trusted friend who comforted me in a time of need, even if the deck I had as a teenager has long since gone to the Great Dealer's Table in the Sky. A deck of cards made with solid gold and gilded with platinum could never take the place of blue Circle Back Tally-Ho's in my heart.
th4mo

Re: Hello. NEw to the site, but not to card hobby

Unread post by th4mo »

Hi Ritch!

Everybody here must be really busy this weekend with all of the black friday sales...
Welcome to UC, and welcome back to the addiction! :uggrin:
Keep it Sizzlin'!
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Hello. NEw to the site, but not to card hobby

Unread post by ecNate »

Welcome (back) Ritch! Thanks for sharing your background story, I always find those interesting. Glad to hear you bounced back from illness and also bounced back to decks, quite the different collecting world now than when you left it, right? :o
Rustavius

Re: Hello. New to the site, but not to card hobby

Unread post by Rustavius »

Thank you both for the welcome.

It is a different world now than is was in 2001. USPCC and Hoyle (still an independant at the time) were both making "branded" decks for Walgreens and CVS respectively back then, but now it seems USPCC has special decks they sell only through special retailers such as Target or Wal-Mart, etc. That's new.

So is Theory 11. I picked up a couple of their decks at Barnes & Noble, and I am very pleased with what I've seen.