New Collector from Indiana

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Jazzman99
Collector: Yes

New Collector from Indiana

Unread post by Jazzman99 »

Hello, all, and thanks for letting me join the community. I live in Indiana, and I'm a brand new collector anxious to learn about my new hobby.

I've always liked playing cards, but the seeds for what's happened to me over the past month were probably planted earlier this year when I was lucky enough to attend Penn and Teller's show in Las Vegas--something I've wanted to do for years (and by the way, I have enormous respect for the two of them not just because it was a great show but because, after 13 years in Vegas, they STILL go into the lobby every night to take pictures and sign autographs until everybody's happy). At their merch booth I bought a deck of their "Perfectly Ordinary Deck of Playing Cards," which I found highly amusing.

Then, a couple of months back, I saw a touring show of magicians and escape artists called "The Illusionists." They had their own souvenir deck, so I bought that. It was a pretty plain deck, but I soon discovered that I liked shuffling it while I sat at my desk (I work online and spend a LOT of time just reading things off my screen). I started to get curious about the deck and about shuffling. Pretty soon I was watching Ricky Jay videos on YouTube. Mind you, all I can do is an overhand shuffle--I can't even make a decent fan.

I really fell down the rabbit hole, though, when I was on Kickstarter one day and wondered if anybody had a playing card project I could look at. Well, you know what I found! That started me down a path to all kinds of stores and designer sites, and eventually here. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, picking up tips and learning about new decks, and though I don't know how much I'll have to contribute, I've decided to jump in.

Truthfully, I've gone a little nuts since I found this hobby. I've ordered a bunch of decks from different stores and supported a bunch of KS projects, and I need to ease back and be more selective, though it's nice to have a little stockpile of fun decks already. I've always had a collector mindset--I've collected comics, Legos, Harlan Ellison books, Criterion DVDs--and this has the feel of something I'm going to be interested in for a long time. I feel lucky to have found the hobby in time to get in on what look to me like some beautiful KS decks--Le Chat Rouges, Grotesk Macabre, Bicycle Gentleman. Now I just have to keep myself from contributing to every project I see!

Anyway, it's great to be here, and I'm very grateful for everything I've already learned from you all.
My small but growing collection: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: New Collector from Indiana

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Welcome to UC!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Jazzman99, welcome. Thanks for your mention of the Penn and Teller deck. I was not familiar with it but within minutes I was able to locate a deck on Ebay for $5. :ugking: See, you are already contributing! It's smart of you to try to scale back now; things can get out of hand quickly. I find that by setting firm parameters for myself I'm able to buy more of the cards I enjoy without getting caught up in the frenzy and buying KS decks that I'm really not all that crazy about. Best of luck in you journey.
Jazzman99

So I feel like an idiot, but how do I post pictures? I tried posting the picture to Imgur and then pasting the URL into the the tags that pop up when you click "Img" at the top of the message, but that didn't seem to work. What obvious thing am I missing? The general instructions in the FAQ aren't much help.
My small but growing collection: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images
ecNate
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Jazzman99 wrote:So I feel like an idiot, but how do I post pictures? I tried posting the picture to Imgur and then pasting the URL into the the tags that pop up when you click "Img" at the top of the message, but that didn't seem to work. What obvious thing am I missing? The general instructions in the FAQ aren't much help.
First, welcome! <Insert mandatory Portfolio52 plug here, see my sig>

If you are using Imgur you need to right click the image and get the ACTUAL URL to the file itself and not the Imgur link. You can also upload attachments which may be better as it keeps the image around even if the original linked source goes down.
Use this - http://i.imgur.com/n2TzORx.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOT this - http://imgur.com/gallery/n2TzORx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Example in use with IMG tags (note the 2nd method will fail with broken image)
Jazzman99

Many thanks!

(And in answer to your plug, I am also on Portfolio 52: http://www.portfolio52.com/collection/811/images