Greetings from California!

Where are you from and what are your interests?
manksgloob
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Greetings from California!

Unread post by manksgloob »

Hello everyone!

Lurker-turned-sort-of-recently-registered-member checking in to say "hi!"
Admittedly I'm a year late but hey, better late than never.

My name is David and I'm from the SF Bay Area in northern California. I accidentally started collecting playing cards nearly three years ago and have since grown my collection mostly from online sellers, eBay, and Kickstarter. I say "accidentally" because it didn't hit me that I was actually collecting decks until I realized I was hoarding and favoring decks that weren't standard-issue Bicycles or generics from a convenience store. The initial attraction were the 54 pieces of art contained within the prize boxes but I soon grew to appreciate the tucks as well -- sorry, I've learned the error of my ways!

My collection consists mostly of contemporary decks, the majority of which are USPCC, followed by LPCC/EPCC, and then various others. The similar deck sizes of the first three printers make them so much easier to put in display cases...which sadly sit in a closet since I haven't figured out how to hang the cases without ripping out my drywall (the mounts don't line up with the studs) but I digress.
I have a miniature display case at work where I have a relatively teeny selection hanging for all to see. I get giddy whenever a colleague stopping by notices and asks about them, a decision they most likely regret as I open up the display and start spouting off my story for each deck.

Although flourishing and other cardistry has a certain appeal to it I could never quite pull off even a simple fan. Combined with the fact that I'm terrible at games...well, the cards are just eye candy for me at this point. Not that that's a bad thing. I also have a couple of uncut sheets that I've started framing up -- who knew frames would end up costing more than what you're trying to show off?!

Although I've secretly been gleaning information from this here community (VERY useful and knowledgeable!) and a few other forums I'm always looking to grow my collection so if there are any other resources or mailing lists that you recommend please let me know!

By now I've rambled on way too much so I'll end here.

Nice to meet you all!
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Greetings from California!

Unread post by ecNate »

manksgloob wrote:if there are any other resources or mailing lists that you recommend please let me know!
If you haven't found it yet - http://www.portfolio52.com/user/register

Welcome! Sounds like we had a similar path into collecting as well.