8 weeks in and already 40 decks in

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Fluffykitten

8 weeks in and already 40 decks in

Unread post by Fluffykitten »

Hello,

I can to this place from kick starter. I have only just started collecting cards about 6 weeks ago and I have on hand 21 decks already. Plus 3 more in the mail. 2 in a completed KS project and about 5 others in current projects not counting duplicates. OUCH!!

So I have the bug!

Share anything you think I should know and so on.

Fk

Edit, it's 40 decks now. :mrgreen:
alric
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: 6 weeks in and already 21 decks in

Unread post by alric »

Hi Fluffy, it definitely sounds like you got the bug. But you know what? The playing card addiction is a wonderful addiction to have. Good luck on growing your collection even bigger and welcome to UC, it sounds like you'll fit right in!
Fluffykitten

Thank you!!

I am so excited and got my first out of print deck in the mail toay!
Lambency

Unread post by Lambency »

Wow, and I thought I had the bug lol Then again... it's only been a few days. 8-)

Nice to meet ya
“I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly - I'll beat you unfairly first.
- Ender ”
Fluffykitten

Lambency wrote:Wow, and I thought I had the bug lol Then again... it's only been a few days. 8-)

Nice to meet ya
what have you purchased in the past few days?
Lambency

Just two packs of Bikes. But I've been drooling over some crazy looking Silver Steampunk cards from theory11, amongst others. Does that count? lol
“I don't care if I pass your test, I don't care if I follow your rules. If you can cheat, so can I. I won't let you beat me unfairly - I'll beat you unfairly first.
- Ender ”
Fluffykitten

Lambency wrote:Just two packs of Bikes. But I've been drooling over some crazy looking Silver Steampunk cards from theory11, amongst others. Does that count? lol
i LOVE the silver steam punk box. the cards are good. but i think its the box that sands out in this deck.

edit another good one is the arch angel deck also by theory11
Lambency

Fluffykitten wrote:
Lambency wrote:Just two packs of Bikes. But I've been drooling over some crazy looking Silver Steampunk cards from theory11, amongst others. Does that count? lol
i LOVE the silver steam punk box. the cards are good. but i think its the box that sands out in this deck.

Yea, there are a lot of nice decks out there. But... I promised myself I'd perfect a cut or flourish before I buy a nice fancy one. Thankfully for me the Charlier cut is super easy :D
- Ender ”
Fluffykitten

Lambency wrote:
Fluffykitten wrote:

Yea, there are a lot of nice decks out there. But... I promised myself I'd perfect a cut or flourish before I buy a nice fancy one. Thankfully for me the Charlier cut is super easy :D
yeah i dont need fancy flourishes. i just like the pretty pictures :mrgreen:
RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Fluffykitten wrote:Hello,

I can to this place from kick starter. I have only just started collecting cards about 6 weeks ago and I have on hand 21 decks already. Plus 3 more in the mail. 2 in a completed KS project and about 5 others in current projects not counting duplicates. OUCH!!

So I have the bug!

Fk
Kitten, you're fortunate that there are so many resources for card collectors on the web today.

When I started collecting (around 1995), There was nothing I could find about the hobby online, and I thought I was the only person in the world with this odd hobby. (It didn't help that most people, upon learning about my new hobby, said "You collect WHAT?!?[/i]")

So I created a site about the hobby and soon heard from others with the hobby all over the world!

So, what sorts of decks interest you?
-Marcel Marceau
Fluffykitten

RSLancastr wrote:

So I have the bug!

Fk
Kitten, you're fortunate that there are so many resources for card collectors on the web today.

When I started collecting (around 1995), There was nothing I could find about the hobby online, and I thought I was the only person in the world with this odd hobby. (It didn't help that most people, upon learning about my new hobby, said "You collect WHAT?!?[/i]")

So I created a site about the hobby and soon heard from others with the hobby all over the world!

I like artsy interesting decks. For examplei like the style of the Americana deck and the army men deck. I like the Eco deck for its fun green color. I am also backing the call of Cthulhu deck, even though it's line art, (I usually like interesting color). I am also backing the Bohemia deck. Again great use of color.

Im not a big fan of black decks, though I did get two decks of quicksilver. Less for the black and more for the quicksilver.
MJF

Re: 8 weeks in and already 40 decks in

Unread post by MJF »

Hey Fluffy!

I've got it bad as well... looking at my tally from KickStarter, up until mid-November, I'm now on the line for 32 decks... HA HA HA
Fluffykitten

MJF wrote:Hey Fluffy!

I've got it bad as well... looking at my tally from KickStarter, up until mid-November, I'm now on the line for 32 decks... HA HA HA
32 decks!!! I didn't know there had been that many ok kickstarter.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Well, keep in mind I'm backing 9 projects, some of them I got 2 decks, some I went all out and got 7... I was lucky enough tonight to get in on the Green Cthulhu Limited decks... :)
Fluffykitten

MJF wrote:Well, keep in mind I'm backing 9 projects, some of them I got 2 decks, some I went all out and got 7... I was lucky enough tonight to get in on the Green Cthulhu Limited decks... :)
Ah ok. That makes sense.

Yeah those green decks are awesome. I wonder if they have what it takes to be legend. I hope they choose a good finish stock combination.
RSLancastr

Fluffykitten wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:

So I have the bug!

Fk

I like artsy interesting decks. For examplei like the style of the Americana deck and the army men deck. I like the Eco deck for its fun green color. I am also backing the call of Cthulhu deck, even though it's line art, (I usually like interesting color). I am also backing the Bohemia deck. Again great use of color.

Im not a big fan of black decks, though I did get two decks of quicksilver. Less for the black and more for the quicksilver.

I am a fan of "full bleed" decks.

("Full bleed" is a printer's term for when the printed matter on a piece of printed material (such as a playing card) extends beyond the edge to the printed material - look it up on Wikipedia for more info), and is how most "black decks" are printed (they are not generally printed on black cardstock, but on white cardstock).

One of my favorite decks is the Russian "Palekh" deck, which was the first black deck I saw.

I also have many of the Bicycle full-bleed" decks (such as The Purple Deck), and enjoy them.

I have read that these decks can be hard to flourish and fan, due to the extra ink making them "heavy", but since I only colect to enjoy the beauty of the cards, "full-bleed" decks are just fine by me!
-Marcel Marceau
Montag

Unread post by Montag »

Hi MJF, I'm gonna introduce myself but I just wanted to reply to your post about the green Cthulhu deck. I had the chance to grab a green deck at the last moment like yourself, too.
RSLancastr

Fluffykitten wrote:

MJF didn't say 32 different decks! He/she might have gotten 32 copies of the same deck! :D
-Marcel Marceau
RSLancastr

Now I'm wondering if I should have titled my "Introduce Yourself" post

"44 years in and 2000+ decks in"!

:D
-Marcel Marceau
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

RSLancastr wrote:
Fluffykitten wrote:

MJF didn't say 32 different decks! He/she might have gotten 32 copies of the same deck! :D
Oh no no no, I don't think I've ever order anything larger than a brick of a particular card series... then again who knows, the rate I've jumped into this I may indeed have more than that... :)
Here's what I've committed to on KickStarter so far:

Vanda : 1 Crimson, 1 Gold
Uusi : 3 Blue bloods (through Ebay)
Uusi : 6 Bohemia
Circle City Cards : 3 Army Men
Cipher Studios : 1 Medusa
Albino Dragon : 3 Cthulhu Limited Green
Albino Dragon : 3 Cthulhu Limited Red
Elite Playing Cards : 7 Ritual
Altius Management : 3 Asylum
Pedale Design : 5 Pedale
Tribulation Playing Cards : 3 Heraldry
4 PM Designs : 1 Necronomicon
4 PM Designs : 1 Necronomicon Limited Foil
Conjuring Arts : 1 Skull & Bones (through Ebay)
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

RSLancastr wrote:Now I'm wondering if I should have titled my "Introduce Yourself" post

:o RSLancaster, how long did that take you to collect 2,000+ decks??? I bet your collection is simply incredible!
RSLancastr

MJF wrote:
RSLancastr wrote:Now I'm wondering if I should have titled my "Introduce Yourself" post

:o RSLancaster, how long did that take you to collect 2,000+ decks??? I bet your collection is simply incredible!

As I said, 44 years!

Read my topic, "HOW I STARTED THIS ADDICTION - ER, COLLECTION" for details, but I bought my first deck at ten years old (1968), my second deck at twenty (1978), and that's when the collecting began in earnest. I collected like a madman until 2008, when a serious health issue sidetracked my life. I started collecting again in 2010 when I discovered collectible Bikes.

My collection is now at least 2,200 decks.
-Marcel Marceau
Creature13

Unread post by Creature13 »

:mrgreen: HOLY MACKERAL :mrgreen:

That must be one killer collection!!

MJ
RSLancastr

It would be, if I could get to it! (most of it is currently stored up out of my reach - I'm hoping to remedy that soon).
-Marcel Marceau