Things.

Where are you from and what are your interests?
Frequenter

Things.

Unread post by Frequenter »

Morning all!

My name is Ollie, I'm an author/designer/journalist currently living in Australia. Just thought I'd drop a line to say hello to the community (not my first post - have already had some fantastic help from members!), as I'm digging the vibe that is going on, and plan to stick around!

My card collection is pretty basic, I guess, about 100 decks. I'm not yet sure what kind of audience I'm dealing with, haha. I recently went traveling/writing across Europe and North America, and despite always having a certain predeliction for playing cards, found myself properly indulging that enjoyment for the first time. My preferences for collection err much more towards the custom print, and less towards the rare or established. This isn't to say that I don't love the institutions that have grounded playing cards as a design medium - I think I just prefer some of the more odd stuff.

I'm not sure what my favourite deck of cards is, it's a tough decision, but I do know that my collection will never be complete without Turkish Artist Ozlem Olcer's MAD deck (yeah, I'm THAT crazy guy who keeps asking for those cards on the forums...). It's been an obsession for two years, and seemingly the chase continues.

I can't wait to get more integrated with this amazing community of people, and I think a great place to start would be the following question to anyone and everyone reading this:

What was/is the biggest struggle to add to your collection?

Catch you.
Russell

Re: Things.

Unread post by Russell »

Welcome to the boards!

It's great to have members with different tastes. We've a number of collectors with interests in the latest and greatest, but it nice to see a change up! I know I (along with others) would love to hear your opinions on things!
dazzleguts
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Mine would be the Rixdorfer deck. This is the deck Peter Endebrock claims started him collecting cards:

http://www.endebrock.de/coll/pages/d2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the question mark backs here:

http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02866/d02866r01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was printed around 1968 by Heinrich Schwarz & Co. in Nürnberg, Germany. The Rixdorfer was made by 4 diff artists using relief printmaking. Since printmaking has been an important part of my own artistic practice, and the deck is so very interesting/odd, it immediately became a must have. I first saw the Rixdorfer deck shortly after I started collecting cards in January of 2010 and had been looking for it ever since. It is a very rare deck and when it does show up the price is usually way out of reach for my very limited budget.

There are 2 versions of this deck, the full 52 cards plus 3 jokers, what Peter Endebrock shows, and, the skat (European card game) version with no jokers and 7 - K in each suit (no ace - 6). Both versions were issued at the same time. In June of 2012, 2 & 1/2 years after I first saw them, I saw the skat deck listed by a seller on ebay and I knew it might be my only chance. This was an impatient seller who did not research any of the decks in the collection he was selling, a collection which had been assembled by someone else. The listing was badly titled and drew no other bidders, so I was able to purchase the deck for a price within my means. I now have all twelve of those wonderful court cards. :D

This deck seemed like an impossibility to me and yet it eventually came my way. I'm sure the MAD deck will find it's way into your collection as well.
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
Frequenter

Russell wrote:Welcome to the boards!

It's great to have members with different tastes. We've a number of collectors with interests in the latest and greatest, but it nice to see a change up! I know I (along with others) would love to hear your opinions on things!
Thanks for the warm welcome! Boards have been brilliant so far, and the members doubly so! Easy decision to stick around!
Frequenter

dazzleguts wrote:Mine would be the Rixdorfer deck. This is the deck Peter Endebrock claims started him collecting cards:

http://www.endebrock.de/coll/pages/d2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see the question mark backs here:

http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/decks05/d02866/d02866r01.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was printed around 1968 by Heinrich Schwarz & Co. in Nürnberg, Germany. The Rixdorfer was made by 4 diff artists using relief printmaking. Since printmaking has been an important part of my own artistic practice, and the deck is so very interesting/odd, it immediately became a must have. I first saw the Rixdorfer deck shortly after I started collecting cards in January of 2010 and had been looking for it ever since. It is a very rare deck and when it does show up the price is usually way out of reach for my very limited budget.

There are 2 versions of this deck, the full 52 cards plus 3 jokers, what Peter Endebrock shows, and, the skat (European card game) version with no jokers and 7 - K in each suit (no ace - 6). Both versions were issued at the same time. In June of 2012, 2 & 1/2 years after I first saw them, I saw the skat deck listed by a seller on ebay and I knew it might be my only chance. This was an impatient seller who did not research any of the decks in the collection he was selling, a collection which had been assembled by someone else. The listing was badly titled and drew no other bidders, so I was able to purchase the deck for a price within my means. I now have all twelve of those wonderful court cards. :D

This deck seemed like an impossibility to me and yet it eventually came my way. I'm sure the MAD deck will find it's way into your collection as well.
What an awesome story! Absolutely fantastic when stuff like that comes together, isn't it?! A stunning deck, also. Unique and even all these years later is clearly reminiscent of the influential type of art and design that can be found in Rixdorf in Berlin to this day.

Funny how sometimes you see something and you have an almost inexplicable attraction to it/them. Nearly unexplainable, but yet so clear in your mind's eye. Suddenly nothing else will do - you've just got to have them. I'm so glad you managed to get your hands on them! And on the cheap too, too sweet.

In regards to my MAD deck, it appears I'm on my way to placing them in my collection - thanks to the amazingly generous help of some board members! When all is said and done, it looks like it'll be a pretty great story too! Haha.

Thanks for dropping by, look forward to catching you around the boards!