Hi from France ! ... Please don't hold it against me

Where are you from and what are your interests?
iGeriya

Hi from France ! ... Please don't hold it against me

Unread post by iGeriya »

Hello there !

I'm Alex, born in Lyon (France), raised in The Hague (Netherlands) and back to France (Paris to be specific) since 2009 to study. First I went for a prestigious music school to keep learning guitar techniques at a very hiiigh level (been playing the guitar for years in a way that is barely known to the public, JUST like cardistry !). I left since I figured the music business won't let me break through unless I become a whore. Which I'm not.

Since then I'm in for web engineering studies along with design studies. Yes I love design. I worked for the iOS Jaku theme for almost a year (that makes more than 50 projects) and worked a lot for my deviantart portfolio (you can find me with my current username iGeriya).
I discovered card tricks like ... what, last may ? yeah :P ! Since then I'm an addict, I practice daily, few hours minimum. Being in love with design I also thought of coming up with my own card design and to get them printed ! Yes I had great hopes in Deckstarter before they literally abandon it for no reason. Which I think is quite a great shame, but it's Dan&Dave, and I believe they do wha the hell they want, when they want, as they want, if they want and we have nothing to say about it. My entourage and acquaintances are pretty much excited about being one day able to handle my design in their hands since they love the design, but I have no other choice than contacting USPCC's custom card department, and ordering a hundred decks of my own design. Which will cost money, and I don't have that money right now, so it's on a serious hold, but this project will be brought to light, because I f***ing want them !!!

I'm quite new to card handling. I pretty much discovered close-up magic last may, spent hours every evenings since then watching close up magicians doing their show. I loved it. Tried to learn a few tricks by the bias of Youtube. And then one day, I saw Dynamo performing his version of the 5 faces of Sybil ... and I fell in love with that. Since then I learned the Sybil forms, especially my favorite from 52kards's channel : the 6 packets Sybil that I intimately call the 6 faces of sybil ^^. And after that I realized that the Sybil is by far one of the easiest cut ever made !! So obviously I went to learn one handed cuts to improve and get to be able to do some other two handed cuts. And i'm struggling, damn I'm struggling. I wish I had discovered cardistry in my early teenage years ! yes I had guitar, that's why I didn't bother with anything else.

And most of all, what's an art, without a community to share it ? Well believe me I haven't met ONE single cardist in the world yet. There are few, but they aren't in my neighborhood, that's for sure. Although my roommate is slowly getting interested in this art since I practice on automatic mode all day long when I'm free, so he's like "hey, are you gonna teach me that move later on ?" ... "- sure mate !" but that's all I got as for a community around me so far. So I typed "Cardist community" in google, and found this forum. Read some threads, found it pretty cool and interesting, so I joined, and here I am ...

So, that's it about me ! TL;DR ?? Yeah I know I know.

Greetings from France !
Alex
jsantafe
Collector: Yes

Re: Hi from France ! ... Please don't hold it against me

Unread post by jsantafe »

Wow! What an intro! Welcome!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
iGeriya

Unread post by iGeriya »

Thanks mate, although it looks like it was indeed TL for many other readers haha. Anyway, glad to be here ! I found the sub forum for card designers, I'll be posting in there soon, seems like a kickstarter founding could be a nice idea later on.

See ya.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Welcome to UC, Alex!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.