Coming July 11th - UC2016 Deck & Artist announced - and??

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Coming July 11th - UC2016 Deck & Artist announced - and??

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Those of you that follow @UnitedCardists on Instagram have already seen this last night, but I forgot to post it here and on Facebook. It's the first tease of the coming UC2016 deck.

If you have been paying attention, I truly try to find great European artists that are either new or have been unfunded, but should have been, IMHO. This year will be no different.

Some of you might have a good idea from the first hint (graphic) - or not. The joint announcement will be made next Saturday the 11th of July, and the deck will be funded on KS starting about mid-August, to give members time to help further shape the artwork direction. Frankly, the deck is pretty much ready, with more UC branding and clearly along the theme of keeping it green, at least as far as the main color and pallette.

Here's the first pix. If you immediately recognize it, hold on for a while to make it more interesting for everyone else, please. About a week from now, after I post a couple more mini hints / previews, I will ask for guesses, and try to keep up. I truly hope everyone is pleased!! I think it qualifies as both a throwback and a solid notch on the belt of the UC Deck series.

To be totally honest, I have already decided who will be doing UC2017, and the artists (one of our own) has agreed. It will be a new direction and jump off the European tour back to an artists from one of the original 13 colonies here in the states. Let's keep it one at a time, after we (completely) reveal the UC2016 deck and artist, we will discuss the new directions of UC2017. We have not picked a theme or direction, and that gives us the opportunity to maybe head a certain direction - if we can think of one that fits the series and the artist's style. That would / could / should be fun!

Let's not forget that the annual deck long with donations from Friends of UC keeps this site up and running - unbiased and advertising free. While we have a place for vendor and artist offers and promotional posts, UC has never and will never accept advertising like almost every website you visit these days, and the flip side is that we don't generate any click through revenue, either. Those funds also pay for a couple of prizes for the annual Decks of the Year contest every new year as well. DotY will be coming up in January as always, so it's a cycle we won't break - funding a new deck in the August to October time-frame, and Decks of the Year contest every January & February,and Kai has run our most popular promotional annual project with both style and class - and I think everyone has a great time!

I have an idea for a new project in April & May each year. More about that after we have funded UC2016. I think what I have in mind will be popular, and lends itself to an annual project, as well.

Here is your first glimpse:
tmp_14249-IMG_20150701_174311-1151030166.jpg
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
jsantafe

Re: Coming July 11th - UC2016 Deck & Artist announced - and?

Unread post by jsantafe »

Great, Mike! I manage an advertising based website and it's a real pain. Best of luck with this awesome community!
I already made my guess in Instagram, won't repost here
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Looks like Bona Fide or maybe Passione from the colors and style. Could be someone new I don't know too.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

My guess is bonafide ?? First thing that came to my mind.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

volantangel wrote:My guess is bonafide ?? First thing that came to my mind.
I guess my supposedly cleverly disguised artwork isn't too well disguised, eh?

You are the third person who has guessed that. I suppose that I should go ahead and confirm that the deck will indeed be renovated version of that deck, both keeping our traditional UC Green color scheme and highlights of the UC & UC2016 logos along with tuck, AoS & Jokers that display the full name of both the artist's and UnitedCardists.com

I'll make the formal announcement mid-day this coming Saturday (11-July) and go ahead and note that the campaign will move up a month earlier to the mid September.

Here is another collage of three elements of the tuck and card back, showing the clockwork like "M M X V I" - 2016 on Roman numerals arrayed around the center 10 times. All artwork is preliminary and subject to change, but this gives everyone a good idea of where it is headed.. Comments and suggestions is encouraged!

The courts and Aces will be available as art prints in an 18"×20" format as well, along with a few more goodies germane to playing card decks projects. Since we had three people guess who it was in the first 24 hours, I have gone ahead and included more artwork, including the AoS, Nouveau / UC2016 tuck box and a Harlequin Joker/Jester sticker / logo for the project. More graphics posted soon!
Collage of various elements showing UC branding
Collage of various elements showing UC branding
Nouveau / UC2016 card back
Nouveau / UC2016 card back
Nouveau / UC2016 deck tuck box
Nouveau / UC2016 deck tuck box
Nouveau / UC2016 Harlequin Joker/Jester
Nouveau / UC2016 Harlequin Joker/Jester
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Wow, beautiful deck. I have to say I am very impressed with the previous UC deck, both the handling and the artwork/design. It is one of my favorites. I only have one for now but I hope to pick up a few more down the line. The new deck design is so nice that it will be a "one to display, one to play with" situation for sure. Great job, Mike. I can't wait.
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

Wasn't sure if it was done on purpose but if you turn the image of the back of the card 180 degrees the Roman numerals will be backwards, therefore making the back one way.

Just thought I'd point that out ;)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Slavich wrote:Wasn't sure if it was done on purpose but if you turn the image of the back of the card 180 degrees the Roman numerals will be backwards, therefore making the back one way.

Just thought I'd point that out ;)
Yep, I noticed, and I thought about it, but it's really one of those cases where if it wasn't blown up 2× or 3× actual size, you wouldn't even notice. That doesn't make it two way, but in my mind it is close enough to that blurred line where it's more or less like Heretic. The sun vice moon in the corners is small enough that unless you really get out a magnifying glass, it IS small enough to be considered "Greeked" text. The same is true for the borders around Bicycle N°17 courts - it's so small unless you blow it up - until it shows - it's just scrollwork or filigree. Arguably, this example is on the faces, not backs, but I think it's a "pass" (no harm, no foul), really. You can also say that Heretic intended to "break the rukes", I suppose. Either way, I am happy. Does it really make it above the threshold other than the technicality?

Here's a teaser for the second Joker, both of which are all new:
tmp_17364-teaser21878973529.png
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<