Major upgrade (v 3.1) of phpBB release - please read!

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Major upgrade (v 3.1) of phpBB release - please read!

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

The major release of phpBB that has been in the works for nearly three years has been released after a cycle of six release candidates.

Some time in the near future Joe will be updating the code, and during the time it takes to finish upgrading the files and databases, the system will display a "Maintenance Mode" banner. It's very difficult if not impossible to get a good sense for the amount of time it will take to complete, but it is anticipated to be under an hour.

DURING THAT TIME THE SYSTEM WILL BE UNAVAILABLE! Also note that we likely will lose some of the mods (think "Thanks", "Mobile / WAP", etc) and even the "Lucid Lime" color may temporarily default to the "SubSilver" system default while the modules are updated. The updater is supposed to upgrade everything in place, but it's not possible to test certain things, like the 'extra' smileys might go away (or perhaps not).

Joe will post more specific information about timing once he has tested the updater offline and likely on DeckRefinery.com as well.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Re: Major upgrade (v 3.1) of phpBB release - please read!

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Mike thanks for the heads up. I do like a good backup. So, that means sign up over there http://deckrefinery.com/index.php

So we can bitch about the UC being down over here. I like it.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-10-29 16.42.34.png
Screenshot 2014-10-29 16.42.34.png (117.17 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
RussellSprouts
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sprouts1115 wrote:@Mike thanks for the heads up. I do like a good backup. So, that means sign up over there http://deckrefinery.com/index.php

So we can bitch about the UC being down over here. I like it.
Yep, or the other way around. I am doing a full backup both on the server and my laptop and another one is pushed to the cloud (encrypted) every four hours. I think we'll be fine.

phpBB 3.1 is supposed to be an awesome upgrade, and expected to be available since this time last year. You have to figure they beat it up pretty well as much as they can.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Major upgrade (v 3.1) of phpBB release - please read! (w

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I really hope this new upgrade is much more mobile device friendly. There is a lot I can't view due to having to use my mobile phone.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cbkimble wrote:I really hope this new upgrade is much more mobile device friendly. There is a lot I can't view due to having to use my mobile phone.
Any size display support is supposedly "baked in", but we will see. I sure hope so. TapATalk works well, but still has some issues with writing new messages - especially when you try to include graphics.

I'll see what it looks like from my phone and report back.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Thanks Mike.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Wonder what this update will bring us ? Any interesting features there mike?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cbkimble wrote:Thanks Mike.
From what I can tell browsing the phpBB support board from my phone and tablet, the changes are very well done, and without trying everything, from 4" to 10" screens are supported VERY well, without making it into a completely different model for everything.

As far as changes, the list is too long to post, but basically just about anything that has been introduced over the past several years plus over 1100 more items were addressed or 'fixed'. This looks (to me) pretty much like a glossy 'slick' (sales sheet), but here's the general overview: https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/ - of course it covers the "big picture" perspective for everyone from users to administrators to mod(ification) writers at a 30,000 foot view.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a note: 3.1 had enough problems they already published 3.1.1, so we're going to give it a little time to age. Maybe a couple of weeks before we are willing to give it a shot. Joe will post the time that the board will be down when he gets to the point he's ready and confident it can be done. As it turns out a lot of the mods we have he will likely have to beat with a hammer to get them to work - including the "Lucid Lime" skin - unless of course the updates with 3.1x support come out in the next two or three weeks.

They act like it just upgrades everything in place, but - it turns out not to be quite that simple. Mods are especially picky about running on versions they weren't originally designed to run with.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I went through a dry run on a local version - becasue we have modded quite a few things there's plenty to check by hand, and files no longer used in the new version also need to be deleted by hand. so to run the update will take a couple of hours.

Because certain files or blocks of code that made parts of some of the mods work, it is inevitable that some will break - but a functional board will be in place fairly quickly.

There is, of course no real rush to do it - I have some time off work in a couple of weeks so that seems as good a time as any.

-On the lead up to 18th of November I will look at the new 3.1.x features and determine which of our MODs will be made obsolete, or that will have been updated for PHPBB 3.1. (this will make the update a bit quicker and a lot cleaner.

-On the 18th this is the plan:

1300-1400 UTC/GMT Uninstall unneeded / out of date mods & backup files locally
1400-1600 UTC/GMT Update UC software - UC will be unavailable during this time.
1600 UTC/GMT Boards will be available
Then:
- Make sure basic functions work
- Update theme as needed
- Reinstall updateed mods (e.g. Tapatalk has had a couple of updates in teh last few months)
- Check function of mods kept in-situ and seek fixes where required. (may not be done same day - but these are the least essential bits)

Extra smileys should be fine - but things like the country flags, Thanks, Chat, IMG tag tweaks might need attention!

https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Do we NEED to upgrade? :lol:

I'm just saying coz Joe has made a pretty comfy little forum as it is, and upgrading just to have a bunch of stuff ripped away or not have it work sound like pretty big cons.
montecarlojoe

Well there are big pros too - like beefed up security and soft delete as standard (would have saved a lot of heartache a few months ago...)

We wont need the WAP view (apparently), I doubt that apart from adding a link to the header that any real change will be needed for the chat.
Tapatalk needs an update anyway.

Most vulnerable are thanks and flags - but they are agoing to be a situation of suck it and see...

There are a couple of weeks till the "plan" lol - lets see what developments happen in that time. You are right we can decide not to go ahead - but probably a discussion fo rhe moderator forum.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Eoghann wrote:Do we NEED to upgrade? :lol:

I'm just saying coz Joe has made a pretty comfy little forum as it is, and upgrading just to have a bunch of stuff ripped away or not have it work sound like pretty big cons.
Nobody NEEDS a new iphone either. Or a new TV/PC/HiFi/<insert the latest gadget of your choice>, but you know you want it ;)
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

MagikFingerz wrote:Nobody NEEDS a new iphone either.
Almost nobody - my daughter being an exception. If a cell phone is still functioning 4 months after she gets a hold of it, it should earn a 5 star rating for durability. So far, nothing has made it more than 7 months without being replaced. We cannot even get insurance for her cell phones anymore because she has blown through so many.
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

StanKindLee wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:Nobody NEEDS a new iphone either.
Almost nobody - my daughter being an exception. If a cell phone is still functioning 4 months after she gets a hold of it, it should earn a 5 star rating for durability. So far, nothing has made it more than 7 months without being replaced. We cannot even get insurance for her cell phones anymore because she has blown through so many.
Well, I meant "new" as in "the latest model". So it's still nobody, and perhaps especially not your daughter ;)

Also I'd argue that nobody "needs" an iphone compared to any other cell phone, but that's a different discussion entirely.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

MagikFingerz wrote:Also I'd argue that nobody "needs" an iphone compared to any other cell phone, but that's a different discussion entirely.
Agree with that... the key being "compared to any other cell phone". That wasn't always the case though. When the iphone 1 (original) first came out, I was using it as an installation tool while installing and setting up WiFi networks for apartment complexes. It made the work so much easier that at the time it truly seemed like a need. Now-a-days, any smart phone type appliance or tablet can do the same thing. And since I no longer do any of that WiFi stuff, the need for a WiFi 'smart' phone has gone away, so I've downgraded to a simple no app flip phone which makes phone calls and does text messaging. Since I do not have Internet at home, my ability to jump on KS projects for their EBs has gone away with the flip phone... who needs EBs anyway?
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
montecarlojoe

Anywho... back on topic...

We dont NEED to upgrade - but if you don't it makes it harder in the future.

Either way there is certainly no hurry - it may be worth waiting to see if there will be supoort for Lucid Lime by the theme creator for instance. Lets see teh lay of the land in a coupl eof weeks!
montecarlojoe

Right - so no Lucid Lime support specifically for 3.1 - I'd like a bit more time to prep that side of things .

For now postponing any down time to 22nd. Likely around 1300 GMT
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote:Right - so no Lucid Lime support specifically for 3.1 - I'd like a bit more time to prep that side of things .

For now postponing any down time to 22nd. Likely around 1300 GMT
Joe, as people have noted, we're really in no big hurry, and we can definitely wait until a few of the support mods are out, especially the lucid lime graphics/scheme.

If it's going to cause heartburn, I don't think we're in any hurry at all.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

montecarlojoe

Sweet. If everyone's happy enough we'll put this on hold - keep the thread open though and I'll update as support for the various mods arrives (or I cobble stuff together locally)