Card Organization Memberships

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Card Organization Memberships

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Cbkimble wrote:Just joined 52+joker this weekend. Hopefully will make it to the convention.
I hope you have made your plans by now, buddy! We're exactly one month to the day from the opening day as of today. Wednesday the 15th of October at The Charleston Plaza, which at $95/night for two including breakfast for two every day is an outrageously great price for any decent hotel in the Charleston area. Now, you can go outside Charleston/North Charleston (airport area) hotels and get under that price, but it's just not going to be anywhere close to the quality or class of the major (and even smaller) tourist destination hotels. Everybody can give you a place to lay your head at night, but you want to be in the area of the (VERY) close group of hotels in either the old towne (read that $$$$) or in the airport/N Charleston area ($$-$$$ range) and it's a beautiful hotel for the convention. Instructions and group code discount rate which includes breakfast for two - quite a bargain where anyone else is charging you $20 for a minimal breakfast for two every day. If you are just conventioning and don't really need a car to get around town, you're better off just using the hotel airport shuttle, and it's less than 5 miles away. I haven't checked out that part because I live here, but you might want to check with the hotel about the times and frequency even though obviously it's just once each way. The link is in my signature taking you to the "52+Joker 2014 Convention" thread in the "Site Announcement" forum. It's up to date with the latest information including the tentative schedule and notes about the UC & PCF forum group meeting on Saturday afternoon (I think that's correct - I didn't open up the link, but - "It's in there").
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Tom Dawson
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: Card Organization Memberships

Unread post by Tom Dawson »

jmrock wrote:52 Plus Joker is a site you must pay for to join... If you like vintage decks it gives you access to a members only auction of incredibly rare and unique decks, many of which have historical significance... I found the members to not be that involved with the boards at all... So you should certainly not join if you are looking for feedback and posts similar to this or other forum type sites... They also have a convention once per year and send a magazine once per quarter... All in all a nice club... However, I was not too fond of the auction, in which we were to send our highest bid to an individual (who also has the ability to bid) and trust that he'll sort through everyones bids and choose the lowest winner... It's not that I think ill of the person, I just don't trust anyone like that, whom I personally don't know when it comes to hundreds or thousands of dollars...

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Collecti ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While I understand the comment from JMR, as the one who runs the auctions, I can assure everyone, that we always bid, if at all, before we accept any bids from other members. The large majority of our members trust us and this has never been an issue raised. The other issue raised is that we select the highest bidder as the winner and in case of ties take the first one received.
Tom Dawson
President - 52 Plus Joker playing Card Collectors' Club