Card Organization Memberships

Have questions or comments about the site?
MJF

Card Organization Memberships

Unread post by MJF »

Does anyone here on the site have special membership (paid) to any of the big card/magic producers?

I know CARC has several paid memberships with discounts on products
I know D&D has a $99 year long membership as well

Anyone have these and can comment on how beneficial they are? Do you get special heads-ups on deck releases, etc...
Those against them also please feel free to comment in...

;)
jmrock

Re: Card Organization Memberships

Unread post by jmrock »

52 Plus Joker is a site you must pay for to join... If you like vintage decks it gives you access to a members only auction of incredibly rare and unique decks, many of which have historical significance... I found the members to not be that involved with the boards at all... So you should certainly not join if you are looking for feedback and posts similar to this or other forum type sites... They also have a convention once per year and send a magazine once per quarter... All in all a nice club... However, I was not too fond of the auction, in which we were to send our highest bid to an individual (who also has the ability to bid) and trust that he'll sort through everyones bids and choose the lowest winner... It's not that I think ill of the person, I just don't trust anyone like that, whom I personally don't know when it comes to hundreds or thousands of dollars...

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Collecti ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Thanks for the info jmrock... that sounds like a room full of people with many multitudes more money that I have... plus I watched the slideshow of their last convention... I think the median age was about 50. Some of their methods of storage made me gasp though... the tupperware bins with cards just thrown in... I hope those were all low value decks...
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

jmrock wrote:52 Plus Joker is a site you must pay for to join... If you like vintage decks it gives you access to a members only auction of incredibly rare and unique decks, many of which have historical significance... I found the members to not be that involved with the boards at all... So you should certainly not join if you are looking for feedback and posts similar to this or other forum type sites... They also have a convention once per year and send a magazine once per quarter... All in all a nice club... However, I was not too fond of the auction, in which we were to send our highest bid to an individual (who also has the ability to bid) and trust that he'll sort through everyones bids and choose the lowest winner... It's not that I think ill of the person, I just don't trust anyone like that, whom I personally don't know when it comes to hundreds or thousands of dollars...

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Collecti ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proxy bidding? It's exactly what Ebay does, just automatically.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

neongrey wrote:
jmrock wrote:52 Plus Joker is a site you must pay for to join... If you like vintage decks it gives you access to a members only auction of incredibly rare and unique decks, many of which have historical significance... I found the members to not be that involved with the boards at all... So you should certainly not join if you are looking for feedback and posts similar to this or other forum type sites... They also have a convention once per year and send a magazine once per quarter... All in all a nice club... However, I was not too fond of the auction, in which we were to send our highest bid to an individual (who also has the ability to bid) and trust that he'll sort through everyones bids and choose the lowest winner... It's not that I think ill of the person, I just don't trust anyone like that, whom I personally don't know when it comes to hundreds or thousands of dollars...

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Collecti ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Proxy bidding? It's exactly what Ebay does, just automatically.
I'm sorry. How exactly is bidding by proxy, anything like what EBay does? :?
No matter where you go... there you are :|
Russell

Unread post by Russell »

I am a member of 52+J. The last meet up was in Erlanger, KY.... Yes we toured USPCC, it was truly eye opening. The member and especially Tom and Judy Dawson are some of the nicest and true collectors I have ever seen. The auction/swap meet was a site to behold, hundreds of square feet of vintage and antique items.

As for the median age: it is dropping quite a bit. There were at least 25 people under thirty years old.

I encourage everyone to join, it's a great group of people with valuable information (and decks).
lumpyliew
Collector: Yes

Unread post by lumpyliew »

Aww... That's such a rare opportunity , sadly , I'm not in the US
Don't Worry , Be Happy Cheers!
neongrey

Unread post by neongrey »

Sharpie wrote:I'm sorry. How exactly is bidding by proxy, anything like what EBay does? :?
Well, it's anything like it by being exactly the same thing. It's a 100% legit way of doing auctions. Basically it's a lot safer and helps to keep people from overspending or falling prey to idiot techiques like you would see on Storage Wars or other such shows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_bid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a brief overview and a better explanation than I could give. The only thing about the way eBay that's different is that the proxy is automatic.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Russell wrote:I am a member of 52+J. The last meet up was in Erlanger, KY.... Yes we toured USPCC, it was truly eye opening. The member and especially Tom and Judy Dawson are some of the nicest and true collectors I have ever seen. The auction/swap meet was a site to behold, hundreds of square feet of vintage and antique items.

As for the median age: it is dropping quite a bit. There were at least 25 people under thirty years old.

I encourage everyone to join, it's a great group of people with valuable information (and decks).
Thanks for the info Russell!
They should definitely make more efforts to promote and display some of the younger folks... a revamp of their website wouldn't hurt either...
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

neongrey wrote:The only thing about the way eBay that's different is that the proxy is automatic.
This is not to throw any slander on anyone. I have no personal experience with bidding by proxy.
I'm sure most of the ones out there are completely honest and trusted.

The point I'm making is that a proxy is a person who has the ability to be fallible and untrustworthy.
They can make decisions without communicating them or being fair, and thus influence the auction how they see fit.

While Ebay is software that is hardcoded (not a proxy), which allows 2 people to bid on an even playing field.
You can use various methods to win auctions, but so can everyone else. Highest bidder wins... always.

These are 2 very different methods.

One is secure and fair, while the other does not have to be.
It all depends on the amount of trust you place in the proxy.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
jmrock

Unread post by jmrock »

I personally find that by giving the one individual power to make all the decisions regarding who wins the auctions (including himself) is extremely unsettling and ridiculous... He may be the nicest and fairest guy in the world, but I do not know him whatsoever and I don't care to trust anyone solely with my bids or finances... Apparently there are many people that are comfortable with this, but I am not one of them... What is to stop him from bidding just $10 more than the top bid after the fact to win the bid, or phone his friend and say that the top bid is $145 on a particular deck and that if he is willing to pay $150 then the deck is his... I'm not saying that this happens, but the fact that it can so easily is the reason I will not take part in their auctions... I am more comfortable with an eBay style auction that has a time limit, or the old fashion auction that ends when the bidding stops - last call... SOLD for $110 to the man in black... From what I understand one can host a private auction on eBay and only those people who are members can bid...
andrew daugherty

Unread post by andrew daugherty »

52 + Joker has safeguards (and multiple officers) to ensure auctions are handled fairly.

You would be wrong to assume one person has the final word on bids, etc. Those who run the auctions are bound by rules (again supervised by others in the club) that do not allow such shenanigans.

The Dawsons wrote the revised Hochman encyclopedia. They have a stellar reputation for integrity in our hobby. 52 + J has operated the auctions without any controversy for many years.

Yep, decks in the auctions are expensive for most of you here. But they are quality, vintage decks -- often in top condition. If you want a gem of a historic deck, the auction -- or a club meeting -- is the place to get one.

Lee Asher is pujblicity coordinator for the club and would be more than happy to answer any of your questions. Lee and a number of younger cardists/card designers, etc., attended the last convention in Erlanger. They helmed an excellent presentation on the new card designs and burgeoning cardistry hobby. They educated dozens of members, this one included.

More info on the presentation: read Don Boyer's description of it on the other site. You might be surprised at what you learn.

Age of members: it is dropping, slowly. New and younger card collectors would be wise to tap the wisdom of the current members and contribute their own knowledge. Membership gets you the "Clear the Decks" magazine and access to archives and other features on the website.

Storage: don't knock the Rubbermaid tubs. Many 52 + J members have 1000s of decks in their collections. The tubs are an efficient and safe way to store decks. One should keep a catalog and numbering system, however. Most members are careful to store their most valuable and fragile decks in responsible ways.

Further questions: contact Lee Asher... or you can ask here.

Chicago Playing Card Collectors is the other U.S. club, also with an aging membership base. It caters to singles collectors (something some of you might like, too). CPCC also prints a 3x a year bulletin. However, there is a wealth of knowledge among its veteran members. Just ask.
MJF

Unread post by MJF »

Awesome!

Thanks for all the info on these two groups!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Maybe we should revive this topic? 52+J now actively seeks out younger members, and I know quite a few deck designers who have run KS projects in the past few years attended last year in Las Vegas and are planning to be there in Charleston in October.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Bicycle 808 club :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

montecarlojoe wrote:I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Bicycle 808 club :)
Well, Club 808 is a virtual group, really. There's not much human interaction. I don't see why you wouldn't be a member, though. Finding uncut sheets for $9.95 is a rare deal, and when they have their 20% (25% for members?) sale that becomes $7.99 or even $7.49.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Card Organization Memberships (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

Just joined 52+joker this weekend. Hopefully will make it to the convention.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cbkimble wrote:Just joined 52+joker this weekend. Hopefully will make it to the convention.
That's great! You'll find that the quarterly newsletter "Clear the Decks" is worth the annual membership fee with information about vintage, antique and contemporary decks - among many things, an annual auction held during the spring - usually with around 100 lots of cards and related ephemera. In October the annual convention takes place, last year in 'Vegas', this year in Charleston - my hometown. I'll be hosting the convention this year and if you can make it you'll meet a wide cross-section of members of all ages.

Hopefully you've already found it, but just in case there's a thread in the "Site Announcements" forum about the "2014 Convention" of 52+J with dates, hotel reservation information, etc.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I looked at that thread. I'd like to go and I'm supposed to get off work the day it starts but i dont want to commit to it just yet.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Since 808 was mentioned I suppose we should also include CPC's club and their new 1000 deck club (which seems to simply be a part of their CPC club and not separate):

http://www.collectableplayingcards.com/ ... 31955.html
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cbkimble wrote:Just joined 52+joker this weekend. Hopefully will make it to the convention.
I hope you have made your plans by now, buddy! We're exactly one month to the day from the opening day as of today. Wednesday the 15th of October at The Charleston Plaza, which at $95/night for two including breakfast for two every day is an outrageously great price for any decent hotel in the Charleston area. Now, you can go outside Charleston/North Charleston (airport area) hotels and get under that price, but it's just not going to be anywhere close to the quality or class of the major (and even smaller) tourist destination hotels. Everybody can give you a place to lay your head at night, but you want to be in the area of the (VERY) close group of hotels in either the old towne (read that $$$$) or in the airport/N Charleston area ($$-$$$ range) and it's a beautiful hotel for the convention. Instructions and group code discount rate which includes breakfast for two - quite a bargain where anyone else is charging you $20 for a minimal breakfast for two every day. If you are just conventioning and don't really need a car to get around town, you're better off just using the hotel airport shuttle, and it's less than 5 miles away. I haven't checked out that part because I live here, but you might want to check with the hotel about the times and frequency even though obviously it's just once each way. The link is in my signature taking you to the "52+Joker 2014 Convention" thread in the "Site Announcement" forum. It's up to date with the latest information including the tentative schedule and notes about the UC & PCF forum group meeting on Saturday afternoon (I think that's correct - I didn't open up the link, but - "It's in there").
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Tom Dawson
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Tom Dawson »

http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/Collecti ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While I understand the comment from JMR, as the one who runs the auctions, I can assure everyone, that we always bid, if at all, before we accept any bids from other members. The large majority of our members trust us and this has never been an issue raised. The other issue raised is that we select the highest bidder as the winner and in case of ties take the first one received.
Tom Dawson
President - 52 Plus Joker playing Card Collectors' Club