Databases restored to December 21st - "We're baaaack!"

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Databases restored to December 21st - "We're baaaack!"

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Well, last night's foul-up (until around 5PM / 17.00) here the forums were offline from some time in the wee hours of the morning. I do know the board was online shortly after 1AM here, because I got a thread subscription reminder or PM notification. What happened was explained elsewhere here, I won't double-post. We're paid up and secure through 24-Feb-2016 for the forum hosting (unlimited bandwidth, unlimited disk usage) with SiteLock and CodeGuard, and the basic 'cPanel' administrative (external web-based entry to an offline web hosting control, including ability to reboot the system if it's hung or damaged (after a restore). The board is backed up internally and to the cloud every day, and SiteLock works to scan incoming and outging (as well as existing) code is the forums. Domain registration prepaid through September, 2018.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Just keeping everyone up-to-date: today I upgraded our "CodeGuard" license from a 1GB to a 5GB per day backup. It seems as though we have grown from about 700MB to 1.2GB in just under two weeks. That's a good thing, membership is up almost 25% in the past ten days as well, and obviously - we're growing quickly, with the total data space required to backup our entire system has jumped by more than 50% in that same time-period.

As it is, we were getting by because of the compression used during the backups and only taking up a total of about 3/4th of a GB (compressed size of 1.2GB actual size), but it was pretty obvious that unless we suddenly hit a brick wall and quit growing, we will soon be beyond the ability for compression to keep us under that 1GB limit. When I upgraded, I went to a 5GB per day size limit, but also this new increase allows me to do backups "on demand" several times a day if I feel it necessary. It still includes the automated backup that takes our information and stores it "in the cloud" encrypted so that I can restore the forums to within the past 24 hours at any time from any location, includes a 7-day (weekly) backup retention for a month, meaning that 4 weekly backups are stored offline from the data center and available in case of catastrophic problems - which are pretty much beyond anything we've already seen: the two failures we had on January 19th and one night and part of the day a week ago are impossible (well, let's say "improbable", I don't like to tempt fate). So, we've got "SiteLock" (malware code and hacker scanning defenses), "CodeGuard" - a complete daily backup outside of the server that has retention for up to a month other than the daily backups done on the server itself by the "cPanel" and built-in SQL DB checkpoint (backup) done on demand, so we have 3 layers of backups: phpBB 3.0.12 does a backup on demand to either the server or downloaded to me, 'cPanel' does a nightly SQL DB checkpoint/backup every morning at 3AM or 4AM, and "CodeGuard" does yet another backup both to the cloud and to another NAS unit not associated with the server itself. I think I might have overreacted just a little bit, but - let me be certain - we don't ever have to worry about getting to our backups again, nor do we have to worry about whether or not we have a current backup available at all times. We also are now running on a 5GM max size backup, and only using a little under 25% of that space right now, so there's plenty of room to grow - in fact, we can grow more than 300% without having to go to the next level, which is only an additional $50 per year.

I see two things: I see everybody using UC again, and I see more and more new users coming to UC every day. That means we're doing something right, and I hope it means that we're now the first line of knowledge for people online looking for accurate and in-depth coverage of "All things playing cards"!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Mike Ratledge wrote:
I see two things: I see everybody using UC again, and I see more and more new users coming to UC every day. That means we're doing something right, and I hope it means that we're now the first line of knowledge for people online looking for accurate and in-depth coverage of "All things playing cards"!
That's excellent news, really glad to hear it.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck