52 Plus Joker 2014 convention in Charleston SC Oct 15-18

Have questions or comments about the site?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

52 Plus Joker 2014 convention in Charleston SC Oct 15-18

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I talked to Lee Asher by email today about helping with planning for the 52+J 2014 convention, which is going to be in Charleston South Carolina - my hometown. I work less than 5 miles from the venue hotel.

It's an opportunity to visit the #1 destination in the country for 3 years running according to Condé Naste and #1 in the world last year, and I will be part of the welcoming committee, arranging things starting now for the scouting party that is going to visit in April and to take in the gardens and things.

Anyone wanting to attend will be able to see things like a Norwood 85 deck (one went for $2650 at auction this year), although as Lee would say "personally I am underwhelmed by that one". Some decks in club auctions have gone for up to 5 figure amounts, mostly 18th century decks - far too rich for me, but Lee will probably have a JNug or two.

You can easily setup digs at a good rate for anyone as long as you do it in advance. The convention hotel is the Charleston Plaza Hotel. Dates are October 15th to 18th (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday), and can be booked here: Charleston Plaza - using "52plus" for the group code brings up various rooms at the $95 + taxes convention rate which includes Breakfast for Two each day.

The hotel has changed ownership and the former Sheraton Airport is now the Plaza, phone 843-747-1900. I hope I got all the corrections correctly above...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Encarded
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: 52 Plus Joker club 2014 convention here in Charleston SC

Unread post by Encarded »

I will most likely be there. Learned a lot at the last one, and while small, the group would love to have some fresh perspectives and new collectors join in the fun!
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Radia | Celestial | Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall / Standards / Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Yea I joined their group recently. When I researched them about a year ago I thought they were a bunch of fuddy-duddies, but just by reading some of the articles on vintage cards is worth the membership. In fact, after this I'll go jump back in the rabbit hole. http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/I have only scratched the surface with what they know. I know Jackson Robinson and Don from Aether are part of the group...
Attachments
Screenshot 2013-11-18 22.25.59.png
Screenshot 2013-11-18 22.25.59.png (188.62 KiB) Viewed 12896 times
RussellSprouts
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

My wife and will definitely go next year! I tried to go this year in Vegas, but my day job was just too crazy to get away. I joined 52 Plus last year. Their Newsletter is really cool and worth the small membership fee!

Thanks, Randy
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Encarded wrote:I will most likely be there. Learned a lot at the last one, and while small, the group would love to have some fresh perspectives and new collectors join in the fun!
Paul, it's a pretty small group. As I recall the club membership roster is only 275 people, many of them from overseas. I'm sure that choosing Charleston as the destination was designed to bring new people in and give the membership a boost. "It worked for me".

Were you there in Lost Wages last month? Unfortunately, I didn't know far enough in advance to make it.
RandyButterfield wrote:My wife and will definitely go next year! I tried to go this year in Vegas, but my day job was just too crazy to get away. I joined 52 Plus last year. Their Newsletter is really cool and worth the small membership fee!

Thanks, Randy
Agreed, Randy: "CTD" (Clear the Decks) alone is worth the $25/year. Can I bring my decks for signature (shameless, I know!)?? I'm hoping you see the "Imperial" pair here soon, now. Regardless of what a pain you went through personally to get those done, they are one of my favorite Kickstarter project, and the detail is just beyond compare.

I'm sure I'll have Donna with me, we've done everything together for 40 years, now - if she's put up with me that long (and vice-versa), I'm afraid we're stuck.

Being a native Charlestonian, we can get together and either paint the town or rip it down, your choice! :lol: I know everything from the classiest restaurants to the dives like the back of my hand having lived here all my life. Charleston is one of those places that no matter where you go, you always look forward to going home, and I can't say that about many other places I've visited, except maybe Costa Rica in the Arenal Volcano natural hot springs area.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Ratledge,

No problem! I'll sign whatever. I still think it's odd that someone would actually want my signature on something. I can't wait to see the finished Imperials as well!

South Carolina is one of the few states I haven't visited before. Kevin Reylek is now a SC resident. We'll have to roundup Kevin, Paul and any other UC members and spouses able to go. Could be a fun trip!

Thanks, Randy
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Sucks to live halfway across the world :cry: :cry:
TheDirkPitt

Unread post by TheDirkPitt »

Being from upstate SC I'm looking into joining and attending as it's less than three hours from me. I'm looking forward to more information about the convention. I can no longer count how many times I've been to Charleston in my lifetime but it's a nice, historical city with plenty of charm.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I spoke with Lee Asher this morning by e-mail, and hope he will make it by to further enlighten us about the convention coming in October 2014.

I realize this is almost a full year in the future, but I would like to invite everyone here to attend. Having the 'contemporary' artists that are producing cards these days would be a key drawing point to advertise the convention and help it grow to fill the void that was seen this past month when most member did not attend in Las Vegas.

I'm working on an angle to entice you guys there, more news as it develops.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheDirkPitt wrote:Being from upstate SC I'm looking into joining and attending as it's less than three hours from me. I'm looking forward to more information about the convention. I can no longer count how many times I've been to Charleston in my lifetime but it's a nice, historical city with plenty of charm.
I'm working on getting UC members a discount on the convention and maybe on lodging as well.

I will post more information as it becomes available. Hope to see you there!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good day today! I sent invites to 20 members here that are deck artist/designers and playing card resellers, plus Peter & Linnea @ UUSI and "Kenzii" (Lee McKenzie) formerly of Ellusionist (Arcane, Infinity, Artifice series, etc) now getting ready to ship my Empire KS pledge reward next week or two, and a few others.

If anyone knows any of the KS community artists/designers that aren't members here and can shoot me an e-mail, it would be appreciated.

Try as I might, I found out there's going to be a concert at the Performing Arts Center that weekend, and rooms are not available at Embassy Suites unless you want to book a $250+/night 2-room suite or larger, so we've decided to take up the "InnPlace Hotel" (formerly a Marriott and a VERY nice, classy place!) up on their bid instead. It's about 1/2 mile from the convention center, but provides shuttle service to and from there as well as the airport. I've been to and herded cats at conventions there before: it's a first class place with superb rooms and facilities. The hotel / venue is here: http://www.innplacehotels.com/locations/charleston - but wait for the convention booking code to save a few $$.

Dates are now confirmed to be locked down to Wednesday October 15th through Saturday October 18th. Checkin is 3PM, checkout at noon on Sunday unless you're coming early or staying a few days after to see the sights with Donna (my wife) & me.

She is going to be putting together the "Significant Others" track for people that are at the convention but not actively attending, providing a great lineup of spots like the Magnolia Plantation and Audubon Gardens, Middleton Place and Gardens (weather permitting), Fort Sumter harbor tour, Patriots Point Maritime Museum on the USS Yorktown in Charleston Harbor, CSS H L Hunley confederate submarine, "Gone With the Wind" filming site Boone Hall Plantation and others. Lunch at McRady's, Magnolia's, Fleet Landing, The Boathouse and/or Slightly North of Broad to name a few. We'll be sending around a survey to gauge interest in the various places to the "SO" people before the convention to narrow down the selection, there are just far too many places to see in Charleston to get it done in two or even three full days.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

C-C-Combo breaker!
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Ratledge,

Count me in! Before being a stay-at-home mom, my wife was a high school History Teacher, so she's definitely excited about spending a few days in Charleston. She also reminded me that our 10 Year Anniversary will hit a week before the trip. A nice trip, with the kids staying at my parents, will be a great way to celebrate!

Thanks, Randy
chach
White Whale: Vietnam Era Secret Weapon
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by chach »

Damn, I'm not sure which sounds better, the convention or the other stuff. Would definitely be cool to attend.
WTB/WTT: Vietnam Era Bicycle Secret Weapon Deck
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Count me in. I'll make plans to go. I just need to make sure I don't get a room next to Randy's. I might hear some strange noises.
RussellSprouts
UtterFool

Unread post by UtterFool »

Do we have to be a designer/artist to be part of this get together.
I am in NC, Charleston isn't to far of a drive and it sounds like an awesome weekend.
"I have nothing to declare except my folly"
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

sprouts1115 wrote:Count me in. I'll make plans to go. I just need to make sure I don't get a room next to Randy's. I might hear some strange noises.
LOL... "Whatever floats your boat". I'm up for it, I'll ask them to put Randy off in the "movers and shakers" wing. I've already offered to "paint the town" or "burn down the house" as they say. Maybe both?
UtterFool wrote:Do we have to be a designer/artist to be part of this get together.
I am in NC, Charleston isn't to far of a drive and it sounds like an awesome weekend.
Everyone interested in card collecting is welcome and invited!!

Being a historian by nature myself, my family history goes back to James Citty Virginia, and I am a life member of the "Jamestowne Society" and related to two of the Ancient Planters of Virginia by ancestry, it's always interesting to study family genealogy among other things. I'm also a Civil War buff, that being natural being born in Charleston, I suppose. Visiting Mechanicsburg (across the river from the Pennsylvania state capitol Harrisburg for those that aren't familiar) when I was TDY for the Navy after 9/11, getting to Gettysburg only 50 miles away was required and so amazing a spot in American history. I can't think of any place more solemn in American history than perhaps "The Bloody Road" (to Richmond) in Chancellorsville.

People think I"m quite a rebel, but in fact I have 13 ancestors that fought in the "War Between the States" as we prefer to call it: two of them Union officers, one Confederate office and 9 enlisted, mostly private rank of various state militias. Mostly Tennessee and North Carolina, and TN was one very unusual in that they fought for both sides. One of those Union officers, a Captain, was with the 1st Tennessee Mounted Cavalry, a Union regiment from the mountains. Many TN soldiers in the Union army were from the mountain areas. "Brothers fought brothers" isn't just a saying, I have a pair of great-great-great uncles that fought for opposite sides from TN.

I'm a life member of the Successionville Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, SC State, "Army of Virginia" division and National SCV. I would love to be a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, but the nearest chapter is in Philadelphia as far as I know. Son of the American Revolution as well, and Baron of the Magna Charta, being a direct descendant of Charlemagne. I won't bore everyone going back to Europe, but there are Roman Senators way back many generations to the 1st century BC. My mother is a "High", and that family can trace their roots to kings and queens of most modern-day European countries, and those long since abandoned through the "Earls of Montgomery" lineage, one of them has a son named "Thomas Gray" that is one of the 35 "Ancient Planters" that survived the first winter and Native American massacre in James Citty.

Charleston roots run deep, having been founded in 1670. Of course, there are older places, but no English settlement that has been in existence and continually occupied for more than 300 years. Even Jametowne was abandoned for some time. Saint Augustine Florida is older, but of Spanish descent. Visiting the oldest area where they originally settled Charles Towne in 1670 is interesting, but there is just so much to do here that I have lived my life and still not seen all there is to see.

We'll attempt to take in the sites as best we can given two days, it will have to be a "hit the highlights" type thing. That's why I already decided we'll send out an "interest sheet" to find out what the majority of "SO" (significant others) want to do, and plan accordingly. I'm sure there are those among us that are practiced at conventioneering that will play hooky for a few hours to attend some of the tours. In any case, if anyone wants to make a week out of it, I'll be taking that week off, so we can take our time and really enjoy the trip. You have to learn to slow down here in Charleston - people are never in a hurry.

My wife is quite learned at Charleston history, having been hooked by me here almost 40 years ago when I was a teenager fresh out of my first year at the College of Charleston opening a Pizza Hut for my father in Myrtle Beach.

Damn! I love to talk/type, don't I? Sorry for the novella.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

I should have also noted that "America's Most Historic City" has been an "All America City" for 5 of the last 10 years, and as noted above, there's so many reasons you can't count them all. I know that I've left several of the great places to visit off my list, so if anyone has suggestions for things they'd like to see added to the prospective agenda for both the attendees and "significant others" track, please let me know! Donna and I are going to be busy planning both sides of that coin, and we'd like as much input from everybody that knows Charleston or has at least been here before as possible.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Lotrek
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Lotrek »

Thanks for the invitation Mike!
I want so much to attend... I'll definitely try, though living in Greece makes it really difficult (read expensive).
Charleston is a very beautiful and interesting city and it's near to Atlanta where my partner lives. Too many temptations... ;)
"Bite more than you can chew and then chew it"

----------------------------------------------------------
fb: https://www.facebook.com/oathplayingcards/
twitter:@OathPCC
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lotrek wrote:Thanks for the invitation Mike!
I want so much to attend... I'll definitely try, though living in Greece makes it really difficult (read expensive).
Charleston is a very beautiful and interesting city and it's near to Atlanta where my partner lives. Too many temptations... ;)
I know, buddy. I sent one to all of our artist/designer community, knowing that those of you that are overseas - with few exceptions - wouldn't be able to come. I think the exception may be Kenzii (Lee McKenzie) in Manchester England, since he's planning to be here in the states next year anyway. Never-the-less, I would love to see anyone that can make it dovetail into something that is already planned to make it into a joint effort and attend while they are here in the states. We're trying to get Mark Stutzman to come, heck - I can dream!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

ratledge wrote:Dates in the OP corrected to October 15th through 18th (and Wednesday to Saturday, as opposed to Thursday to Sunday).

Sorry about that. I'll have the "Group Code" sometime soon do you can book your rooms at $95 with breakfast for two instead of the $149 (and up!) prices they show without it.
Peter and Linnea just sent a tentative thumbs up for the possibility of them making the convention.

I'd like to shift gears now, and start aiming for some of the SouthEastern and even Middle Atlantic states' playing card collectors clubs. Does anyone have any information on their local groups? I find that hard to come up with online. I'm thinking the best for me to start with are places like Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh and then start spiraling out to the adjoining states other than S C, N C and Georgia, as well as fill in some of the smaller cities along the way.

Maybe go ahead and head west towards Texas and north to New York as well. "The more the merrier" as they say! Anyone that can help earns themselves a cookie (or a beer) payable on sight - and I'm not going to hide.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Updated hotel information & convention booking code to original post: the URL is http://be.genares.net/14585 - use 52plus group code for convention discount.

The rate it will display is $95, and it does not show that you get "Breakfast for two" every day included - which you do. The adjustment will be done programatically or at checkin time, and you will get the correct rate and included breakfasts. It was showing $109 and no breakfast before, at least they're getting closer. I'm certain about the included meals, but I was also told the rate was $90 per night for up to 3 people in one room, king, queen or double double - but I don't see any "double double" offered, which I guess is because of the 3 guest rate instead of 4 that most rooms accommodate? Makes sense... If it's $95 - remember, you're getting breakfast for two and these rooms are $149/night normally. It's a very nice place that an upscale company from Boston bought from Marriott and turned into 1 of 2 of their flagship brand "InnPlace". Just be certain that you put 52plus in the "Group Code" field, select the correct dates (16-Oct-2014 to 19-Oct-2014), number of rooms & people, before you click on the button to price & start reserving your room. If you don't get at least the $95 (US) per night rate, please contact me before you commit.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just keeping everyone up-to-date: Tom Dawson and I 'met' telephonically this morning, because my wife has the flu. We discussed the convention and more the "Significant Others" track, which my wife Donna is working on, and decided to put a "feeler" in the August issue of "Clear The Decks" to gauge the interest in the SO track and all users as far as the potential for us doing some extracurricular activity after about 2PM on Friday, so we can include all of the attendees.

Donna and I have talked about it a little, and our best guess is that we'll probably have somewhere between 15-35 people that want to "tour the town", and the way to do that in Charleston is by horse-drawn carriage tour. We will likely (depending in interest expressed) arrange to have a carriage tour about 3PM in the afternoon with the tour concluding at "Magnolia's" restaurant on East Bay. Magnolia's is THE place to eat in Charleston for "down home" and seafood, not to mention they have the best desserts in town.

We'd like to personally invite anyone that can come to attend. If you're not a "52 Plus Joker" (American Playing Card Collectors Club) member, we'll have extra sign-up forms available - probably posted online here in this thread, so that you can sign up for both the convention and the Significant Others alternate track, as well as the group tour (carriage ride) and Magnolia's dinner, which - if we have enough people - we will have in a special meeting room away from the rest of the crowd. Hopefully we'll have enough people interested to pull that together!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Tom Dawson
Decks Owned: 1000

Re: 52 Plus Joker 2014 convention in Charleston SC Oct 15-18

Unread post by Tom Dawson »

Hi everyone
This is Tom Dawson and its my first post in this "the rival" forum. As some of you know I am an administrator at the playingcardforum but more to the point, President of 52 Plus Joker http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn. I have been reading all the comments about our forthcoming convention, Oct. 15th to 18th in Charleston - a #1 destination as Mike points out. It is exciting to hear so many positive remarks about this meeting.

Allow me to give you a bit of background about our Club and our conventions. The Club is now almost 30 years old and was started with about 20 enthusiasts to further their hobby of collecting vintage and antique playing cards, especially those manufactured in the US. We have grown to about 280 members [about 75% of our membership is from the USA with the rest from Canada , South America, Europe, Australia and Asia] and we usually get about 20%-25% turn out for each convention. The Convention itself starts at 6pm on the 15th with a reception and has three days of trading, presentations, auctions and socializing culminating in a banquet on Saturday night, the 18th. This year we will be off from lunch time Friday until Saturday morning so the joys of Charleston can be enjoyed. I should mention the hotel rate of $95 per night including a full breakfast for two and free parking is available to all attendees for three additional nights both before and after the convention days so you can spend more time being a tourist.

Someone said they feared our club is a bunch of old fogies. Well, on average we are older, I suspect, than the age of the users here! But like all of you we are passionate about our hobby, we have collectively a lot of expertise and we are a fun crowd. In recent years we have been rejuvenated by participation in club activities and at our conventions by several of the new breed of designers and collectors and have heard them present on what they do and what fascinates them. Last year, for example, Paul Carpenter, Alex Chin and Bill Kalush were a major part of the presentations.

This year's convention could well be our largest and best ever. East coast locations, especially one as attractive as Charleston always bring out a good crowd from this part of the country. In addition, it is a relatively easy spot for the Europeans and we are getting a lot of commitment from users both here and at the Discourse.

Within a few weeks we will post a draft schedule of the events planned. In the meantime if you want further information contact Mike, me, Lee Asher or any officer of our Club.
Tom Dawson
President - 52 Plus Joker playing Card Collectors' Club
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome, welcome, Tom. So good to see you drop by UC! We're all looking forward to the convention, that's for sure. I'm thinking we might need to have an "online track" for those of us on either forum. It surely will be a great place for a lot of us that know one another vicariously to put names to faces. Donna and I are looking forward to hosting the group here in my home town. I'm sure that anyone that wants to come a few days early and/or stay a few days late can count on some expert advice on how to best use your time while in Charleston. Just leave a note here and I'm sure she will find you soon enough! In fact, probably best to "front-load" this one, since the last day is Saturday and Sunday morning is already "in the books". Maybe arrive on Sunday or Monday instead of late on Tuesday (convention starts Wednesday) to have plenty of time to visit the plantations, gardens or whatever you have in mind. After having two weekends with snow and/or ice in under 14 days, we made it to 80 (F, close enough to 27C!) today and expect the same again tomorrow (crazy weather!).
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Tom Dawson
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by Tom Dawson »

Mike. Thanks for the warm welcome! As we've discussed, we personally, and our forums are working towards the same objectives - providing a place for exchange of information, educating and helping playing card collectors, furthering our great hobby. The convention should be Breakout with its location, relative ease of access and particularly the enthusiasm I see building in the forums. That's the potential to double the size from our norm of 50 or so registrants plus maybe 30 spouses. Imagine 125-150 people at the convention!

All non-members are welcome. We'll sign you up there. Membership is $25. There is a convention registration fee of $40-50 for which you'll get a free opening reception, full participation in all presentations, a trading table, three auctions and a great time! Plus you'll be an ongoing member for the following year with the quarterly magazine, Clear the Decks, members' website, etc. Oh, and I forgot the free new members lunch. The banquet is extra - usually $35-40 per person depending on the menu.
Tom Dawson
President - 52 Plus Joker playing Card Collectors' Club
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

All sounds great, Tom! Like I said, the group here is ready and waiting - for another 6+ months, yet. I got them all stirred up starting about the middle of November, as I recall - long before I ever came into ownership of the forums here. I think we'll all find that we have a lot in common, especially direction-wise. We all want to see the hobby go forward and grow as well. Infusing some "new blood" into the group - which I know started last year - is one thing we can do. Bringing my toys and my boys (and girls) is the plan!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

I'm just now finding this thread/topic. <hides head in shame>

I've been a member of 52+J, off and on, since 1997.

I've attended two of their annual conventions in Las Vegas NV, one in Kansas City MO, and one in New Haven CT in 2000.

If you haven't been to one, by allmeans GO, and prepare to have your mind blown by the variety and depth of the decks you will see there.

I hope to be at this one, but have found that air travel while in my wheelchair is fairly problematic.

I'd love to see some of my old 52+J buddies again, but have found that it can be awkward/uncomfortable for people who knew me when I was ambulatory to see me now in my wheelchair.

If I go, I hope to meet some of my UC buddies there!

-RSL
-Marcel Marceau
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

RSLancastr wrote:I'm just now finding this thread/topic. <hides head in shame>

I've been a member of 52+J, off and on, since 1997.

I've attended two of their annual conventions in Las Vegas NV, one in Kansas City MO, and one in New Haven CT in 2000.

If you haven't been to one, by allmeans GO, and prepare to have your mind blown by the variety and depth of the decks you will see there.

I hope to be at this one, but have found that air travel while in my wheelchair is fairly problematic.

I'd love to see some of my old 52+J buddies again, but have found that it can be awkward/uncomfortable for people who knew me when I was ambulatory to see me now in my wheelchair.

If I go, I hope to meet some of my UC buddies there!

-RSL
oh, quite a few us plan to be there, Bob! I know that myself and my wife Donna will be going, and I'm sure that Randy Butterfield and his wife are also coming. I have about a dozen "new deck artists/designers" from the popular recent decks on kickstarter coming, or planning to be there, but I can't say for certain exactly who will be there, except that I know Jackson Robinson, Alex Chin, Paul Carpenter, Linnea Gitts (Uusi) and many others have expressed interest or stated that they are going to be there. As you can see from reading this thread, my wife Donna and I are going to be the local hosts for the event, since it's here in my hometown where I have lived since I was a little child.

We'd love to see you there!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

RSLancastr
Decks Owned: 2500

Unread post by RSLancastr »

Mike Ratledge wrote:We'd love to see you there!
I'd love to see me there too, but am not betting on it at this stage of the game!
-Marcel Marceau