Playing Card Database

Have questions or comments about the site?
rhu

Playing Card Database

Unread post by rhu »

Purely for fun and not for profit I started collecting my small card collection into a database:

http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's proving harder than I thought to get some real data on the cards though, anyone have any tips how I would go about finding the release dates on decks of cards?

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this question in, but there was no general/silly-question category :)

Thanks!
Rhu
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
Kdklown

Re: Playing Card Database

Unread post by Kdklown »

Pretty nice setup you've got there. I went down that road when I first got into the hobby. Pretty much a dead end. Most decks have dates on them. Print quantities are dicey. You'll get different numbers from different sources. I reached out to USPCC for consolidated info to no avail. Designer/artist is good info to add and easily researchable. I pretty much gave up on tracking dates and print runs but if you really want the info and can't find it online I would suggest reaching out to the designers and companies directly. if you are able to pool all that info please feel free to share it though. I'd love to have someone do the legwork! :D
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Kdklown wrote:Most decks have dates on them.
Haha, I'm officially an idiot. Thanks for pointing that out! I'll be displaying all data collected openly. I think I'm just going to have to do it one deck at a time, this is proving to be a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be.

It's a shame the number of decks printed isn't openly available.
PrincessTrouble
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by PrincessTrouble »

You have Gold Trace listed twice.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

PrincessTrouble wrote:You have Gold Trace listed twice.
Yeah, sadly I've got a few duplicates in my collection that were given as gifts. Do you think it would be better to list only unique items in the collection?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Add a field for quantity maybe?
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

montecarlojoe wrote:Add a field for quantity maybe?
Now that would of made more sense :)

I finished going through all 101 decks and listed the dates I could find for anyone that is interested:
http://playingcarddb.com/carddatabase.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think my collection is a little too modern, I'm going to have to start finding some older decks!
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I'd say buy what you love and buy quality - that is, don't buy old decks just because they're old!

Having said that there are many beautiful vintage decks out there.
Sharpie

Unread post by Sharpie »

montecarlojoe wrote:Having said that there are many beautiful vintage decks out there.
It's so true. I'm always on the lookout for these, and am shocked by the detailed variety I find.
No matter where you go... there you are :|
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Yeah, I get the feeling this new hobby will get expensive quickly if I don't narrow down my collection criteria :?
Ben Taylor

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

I'm interested in what you're planning to do here. Is this going to be open for others to submit decks and track their own collections?
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Ben Taylor wrote:I'm interested in what you're planning to do here. Is this going to be open for others to submit decks and track their own collections?
I would love for that to happen, been trying to find a way to keep track of my collection as well.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

The backend structure has been set up to accommodate other users decks, if there's enough interest in that as a service I would be happy to add it. Open to ideas here?

I really just wanted a way to track/display/value my own collection. I'm now trying to archive every custom deck released even if I've not collected it by adding in company pages.

e.g.: Ellusionist: http://playingcarddb.com/company.php?id=2 (scroll down past the over sized image)

Super time consuming, and super-not-for-profit so development is going to be slow! Only listed 167 types of decks so far.
Kdklown

Unread post by Kdklown »

Pretty awesome! I would be all over this. Way cooler than my giant Spreadsheet! :lol: Great work.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I was actually about to create my own site too, glad I found this post and your site. Just signed up there too,but having issues seeing how to add to my collection or database.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Thanks for signing up, you need to be manually approved so I'll do that for you now ;)

It's a shame that there are a lot of posts missing about playingcarddb on the forum now :( I'll need to pester Mike when I get some free time about creating a sticky topic.

There's two big features I'm working on:

- Tracking your own collection
- Valuation of decks

Unfortunately with zero funding and zero free time these things are taking longer that I would like :)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

ecNate wrote:I was actually about to create my own site too, glad I found this post and your site. Just signed up there too,but having issues seeing how to add to my collection or database.
I've added you as a Mod to the site, we've not had anyone abuse the Mod system yet so I'm trusting you won't abuse it ;)

Just to be clear though, the features for tracking your own collection are not finished yet. So at the moment you can only contribute images and data to the global area on the site.

If anyone else wants to join as a Mod just sign up and let me know, happy to accept more help with it :)
Ben Taylor

Unread post by Ben Taylor »

I think once you've got the ability for people to track their own collections, there will be a lot more folks interested in signing up and filling up the database. I've got a giant stack of decks next to my scanner that I still need to scan and upload when I get some more free time.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:Just to be clear though, the features for tracking your own collection are not finished yet. So at the moment you can only contribute images and data to the global area on the site.
Thanks for the add! I do see option to add files to existing decks, but I am not allowed to edit decks and see no way to add new ones. Is that what you intended?

Before I found your site I was also going to message some owners of similar sites to see if they would consider creating a playing card version of their current sites. BGG being the primary one since they already have 3 related sites up. It's actually a pretty intimidating and confusing site at first, but a small component of it is the game database and ability to easily add to your collection (here's mine). I also re-purposed their 'geeklist' to create a rudimentary listing of my small, but fast growing collection.

I see you built it with PHP and I'm guessing MySQL on the backend? I've done similar development a few years ago and could maybe help out eventually too. I am also a manger for a web security testing team so later we can talk about possibly doing some basic testing to make sure you don't have any obvious vulnerabilities. I do hope you take regular backups though in case some script kiddie finds you.

I also had ideas for my site to use the Kickscraper API to automate process of creating and tracking new entries on Kickstarter. Although, I've been really impressed with the listings on this site so I don't think that is as important and I also may give up on my similar efforts at BGG.

In addition, maybe we can use some rudimentary methods to extract data from other sources and automate populating in the database. That said, my current job is very demanding and I have a ton of side projects so I'm not sure if/when I would be able to help with all that, but at least we could share ideas and maybe you can use some of it.

Then maybe local saves/reports for collections, mobile apps, expanded database fields, etc. :lol: Yeah, settle down, settle down.

Ben Taylor wrote:I think once you've got the ability for people to track their own collections, there will be a lot more folks interested in signing up and filling up the database. I've got a giant stack of decks next to my scanner that I still need to scan and upload when I get some more free time.
This. I am still willing to help, but myself and most people won't have a vested interest unless they can see their own collection there as well. I think that's the best part about a system like this, you get to use crowd sourced data and input to develop a database and keep it updated. Overtime that makes adding individual collections so much easier and more people join, which increases the database size and value, repeat...
stelwibe

Unread post by stelwibe »

I think this is a great idea. I have been using an apple app called MyStuff. It is easy to modify and meets my needs. Can set up own fields to track, and add images that are easy to find out on net or scanned myself as I have time.

But I like the idea of opening up something for general posting. That way you can get others to help fill in blanks. Only risk would be dealing with conflicting information. If open to general public, may be worth somehow identifying data that has been validated from a reliable source, as opposed to educated guesses/assumptions.

As I have tried to manage my info, I keep changing how I want to keep up with data. Following are some of the things I have struggled with on trying to standardize.

Release dates: there are a lot of decks with copyright dates. But once you start looking for it, there are a fair amount that do not. Take as for example decks by E, early decks seemed to have them, but more recent ones stopped. T11 does not seem to have many with copyright. It is hit and miss.

What images to store: tuck- front, back, sides, top and bottom. Card- back, gaff/extra cards, jokers, sample numbered, sample J/Q/K, aces.

Card stock and card finish?

Print size: easy for some (if you believe what is stated), impossible for others. I have had some luck in asking designers on kickstarter, but have not asked bigger card companies (where I think they would be less likely to share or I would be less likely to believe). Maybe think about stating in approximate quantities.

To learn from the past, I think there was a wiki site that was trying to do something like this. Anyone known what happened to it and if it was very successful in allowing users to update?

Not at all trying to point out only problems, as I do think it is a great idea. Just trying to think of things that could be issues so as you think about layout, structure and process.

I would be glad to contribute any info I have (over 1,100 different decks), but realize detailed info ranges from nothing but a name, to great details with a fair amount of images.

Also,I am very sympathetic to the person/group that wants to ultimately try and manage this for everyone. I think it has to be a balance of time that can be committed to value derived. As I have tried this, I have found myself wanting to add one more field of info, only to realize now I have to go try and find it for all of the decks. I would suggest almost defining a few key fields you want to maintain with a high amount of accuracy, and maybe others that may or may not be 100% accurate, but at least give a directional idea.

Sorry for rambling.

Dutch
- Dutch
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I really like how this collection is focused on images, I prefer reports/listings to have option simply show the deck, almost like they were on a shelf. You have a good start on the fields being collected (name, company, release, cost) and quite honestly most of all I care about, but you should consider adding these fields to deck entries to appeal to larger audience. Disclaimer - I am new to this so much of this is just my opinion and what I've seen others do, plus a little of my development background.

- I would suggest changing 'Company' to be 'Manufacturer' and then also add a 'Brand' field (eg. Bicycle under USPCC), or maybe just using existing field and list USPCC - Bicycle and USPCC - Unbranded, etc
- Type of deck (e.g. standard, advertising, souvenir, etc.)
- Catalog reference number if applicable
- Hochman or other reference
- Card finish and/or stock
- Other pertinent data (e.g. gold edges, embossed)

Having not seen personal collection entries, I don't know what you have now, but obviously there needs to be additional fields at that level. Some don't need to be reportable fields and maybe just as comments (with a quick help guide on recommendations of what to include)

- Tuckbox (Y/N)
- Sealed (Y/N)
- Missing cards (number, default of 0)
- Condition
- Value (default of cost)
- Other pertinent data, likely as a comment field (e.g. damaged cards, storage location, on loan, etc.)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and thanks to Ben and the others for contributing so much data already :)

To be honest this started out as a simple php script to list my own decks and then it exploded quite rapidly into something it wasn't originally designed to be. I'm now trying to retrofit a CMS system with a certain level of version control into a system that quite frankly wasn't designed to handle it :p

In regards to security, what data would someone like to steal? All information contributed is openly available :D In the future I would love to add an API for people to freely take and use the data however they please. This is being built by the community for the community :) I have built it with security in mind all the same, regular backups and checks to see what data is being added.

There are three user groups:

Super Mod - "Author" => These guys can add/edit anything.
Mod - "Contributor" => These guys can add/edit new decks only. They can't edit existing decks, but can add the first scan and images to existing decks.
User => These guys can (soon) list their own collection, but can't edit the global list of decks

ecNate, you're currently a contributor. So you can add new deck that are not listed, but you don't have access to edit or delete existing decks :) My main focus is avoiding scope creep just now. One task at a time ;)
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:In regards to security, what data would someone like to steal? All information contributed is openly available :D In the future I would love to add an API for people to freely take and use the data however they please. This is being built by the community for the community :) I have built it with security in mind all the same, regular backups and checks to see what data is being added.
Lol yeah, not concerned about theft. More so if they gain admin access and wipe out the database through SQL Injection and/or XSS, or worse gain access to system directly and blitz it all. Just saying, you have a great start and it would suck to have to start over. :D

Thanks again for making the effort to put something together. I much prefer an online catalog of any of my collections, provided I have ability to save something locally (even if it's just a PDF listing, but ideally CSV or something). Keep up the great work, I hope to contribute more soon.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

ecNate wrote: Lol yeah, not concerned about theft. More so if they gain admin access and wipe out the database through SQL Injection and/or XSS, or worse gain access to system directly and blitz it all. Just saying, you have a great start and it would suck to have to start over. :D
Haha yes I'll admit that would be inconvenient :) There's regular backups though, perhaps I should make them more regular. That might be a little task for tomorrow, it's the growing number of images I'm going to have the concerned about in the long run.

The good news is that my better half has allowed me the luxury to spend the last two hours on the site and user collection are now almost possible :) Even if you do have to go to a company page to edit them... one step at a time though :D I'll hopefully put this feature live in the next hour or so.
stelwibe

Unread post by stelwibe »

rhu - also pm'ed you, but thought others might have ideas/opinions able this so will post here. I have a friend who collects Camel cigarette packs from around the world. He was showing me a website that had a ton images, allowed users to set up accounts and track which ones they had, and I think also had functionality where you could see what other users had updated in their profile so that you could identify someone that had multiples and try to trade/buy. I am pretty sure there was a way to get images of newly identified packs on the site, but do not know if an individual user could do it or if it was more submitted to a few "admins" who would then register/number/create the new pack on the website. It does appear that images were the source of setting something up, as it does not appear that there are packs listed that do not have images. The website is http://www.camelcollectors.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (sorry, am not sure how to make it a link within this post). Also not trying to promote a different hobby. At a minimum, I thought it might help in thinking through what you are trying to do. - Dutch
- Dutch
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

rhu wrote:Thanks for signing up, you need to be manually approved so I'll do that for you now ;)

It's a shame that there are a lot of posts missing about playingcarddb on the forum now :( I'll need to pester Mike when I get some free time about creating a sticky topic.

There's two big features I'm working on:

- Tracking your own collection
- Valuation of decks

Unfortunately with zero funding and zero free time these things are taking longer that I would like :)
What do you need me to do, Rhu? It's one of the posts we lost during the restore?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

My progress is so slow on this, sorry everyone! :D

I've decided to sell up to 90% of my relatively small card collection to help fund this little side project. I really just love knowing about all the different decks out there in the wild, so I think collecting them digitally onto PCDB would be a much more rewarding effort for me rather than hoarding every deck I purchase :)

Hopefully this means you'll start to see some real progress on this project soon!

Aside from the features I've mentioned I'm working on, my concern is how to encourage people here to help keep it up to date with all the latest releases. I think it's fantastic we've got it to over 700 decks listed, but I would love to keep it up to date every time a new deck is released.

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Perhaps by hosting competitions for moderators? Free decks for the top uploader(s) each month? Basically what I'm asking is what would I need to offer for you to help out every month ;)
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Haha do you require scans ? If you wish you could just grab photos from my thread, but they probably dont fit into the big picture. :roll:
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:Aside from the features I've mentioned I'm working on, my concern is how to encourage people here to help keep it up to date with all the latest releases. I think it's fantastic we've got it to over 700 decks listed, but I would love to keep it up to date every time a new deck is released.

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Perhaps by hosting competitions for moderators? Free decks for the top uploader(s) each month? Basically what I'm asking is what would I need to offer for you to help out every month ;)
First, I'm super excited to see this is taking off again. Thanks!

I really think that once people are allowed to start managing their collections there it will happen naturally. There really isn't a good online and crowd sourced data method for people to do this, so if you can get the word out this could be very popular and reach the critical mass needed to be self-sustaining. I know I keep mine updated elsewhere and if we are OK with pre-release status and using stock photos (only until people get them in hand) people will add before they are even released. Personally, most of my decks are already there, but as I finally am moving mine from boxes to a display I will scan anything missing in the process. Hopefully that will be within the next week. Maybe about the same time as the launch where you will have ability to add to collections???? :D

Having free decks for top uploaders may help, but for anybody who knows they will never get close the only incentive will be to keep their collection complete. You could then include, or fully move to, a model where each submission gives you an entry into drawings for free decks. You can also look at how boardgamegeek.com operates with their 'Geek Gold' that is similar to what I described where each contribution gives you virtual currency that can be exchanged for silly badges, avatars, expiring ad free use (don't forget about including MINOR ads to help offset costs), etc. Although, I really think that most people will participate either for the good of the community, but mostly to ensure their collections are complete.

Also, I assume this will be fixed, but after logging in there needs to be a confirmation/redirect as right now it appears it is still being stuck in login page.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I do see now that I can add to the collection (I like how I can add multiples at once too!). In doing so they were added, but the indexes of the images must be off because the images in my collection don't match what is in the individual entries. I'm sure that's something still being worked, but wanted to call it out in case something else was off. It also took me a while to figure out that I had to first add the deck, then go add images, then go back to the main level and back into the entry before I can select the thumb image. Seems to work though.

I don't see how I can add a new 'brand' though, but did add some decks where it seemed to fit. Also, what is the definition of 'brand'? Usually that is Unbranded, HOPC or Bicycle when I think of that, but it seems as though it is actually being used as Designer or Publisher or Creator.