Playing Card Database

Have questions or comments about the site?
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Playing Card Database

Unread post by ecNate »

I really like how this collection is focused on images, I prefer reports/listings to have option simply show the deck, almost like they were on a shelf. You have a good start on the fields being collected (name, company, release, cost) and quite honestly most of all I care about, but you should consider adding these fields to deck entries to appeal to larger audience. Disclaimer - I am new to this so much of this is just my opinion and what I've seen others do, plus a little of my development background.

- I would suggest changing 'Company' to be 'Manufacturer' and then also add a 'Brand' field (eg. Bicycle under USPCC), or maybe just using existing field and list USPCC - Bicycle and USPCC - Unbranded, etc
- Type of deck (e.g. standard, advertising, souvenir, etc.)
- Catalog reference number if applicable
- Hochman or other reference
- Card finish and/or stock
- Other pertinent data (e.g. gold edges, embossed)

Having not seen personal collection entries, I don't know what you have now, but obviously there needs to be additional fields at that level. Some don't need to be reportable fields and maybe just as comments (with a quick help guide on recommendations of what to include)

- Tuckbox (Y/N)
- Sealed (Y/N)
- Missing cards (number, default of 0)
- Condition
- Value (default of cost)
- Other pertinent data, likely as a comment field (e.g. damaged cards, storage location, on loan, etc.)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and thanks to Ben and the others for contributing so much data already :)

To be honest this started out as a simple php script to list my own decks and then it exploded quite rapidly into something it wasn't originally designed to be. I'm now trying to retrofit a CMS system with a certain level of version control into a system that quite frankly wasn't designed to handle it :p

In regards to security, what data would someone like to steal? All information contributed is openly available :D In the future I would love to add an API for people to freely take and use the data however they please. This is being built by the community for the community :) I have built it with security in mind all the same, regular backups and checks to see what data is being added.

There are three user groups:

Super Mod - "Author" => These guys can add/edit anything.
Mod - "Contributor" => These guys can add/edit new decks only. They can't edit existing decks, but can add the first scan and images to existing decks.
User => These guys can (soon) list their own collection, but can't edit the global list of decks

ecNate, you're currently a contributor. So you can add new deck that are not listed, but you don't have access to edit or delete existing decks :) My main focus is avoiding scope creep just now. One task at a time ;)
PlayingCardDB - we bag and tag playing cards
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:In regards to security, what data would someone like to steal? All information contributed is openly available :D In the future I would love to add an API for people to freely take and use the data however they please. This is being built by the community for the community :) I have built it with security in mind all the same, regular backups and checks to see what data is being added.
Lol yeah, not concerned about theft. More so if they gain admin access and wipe out the database through SQL Injection and/or XSS, or worse gain access to system directly and blitz it all. Just saying, you have a great start and it would suck to have to start over. :D

Thanks again for making the effort to put something together. I much prefer an online catalog of any of my collections, provided I have ability to save something locally (even if it's just a PDF listing, but ideally CSV or something). Keep up the great work, I hope to contribute more soon.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

ecNate wrote: Lol yeah, not concerned about theft. More so if they gain admin access and wipe out the database through SQL Injection and/or XSS, or worse gain access to system directly and blitz it all. Just saying, you have a great start and it would suck to have to start over. :D
Haha yes I'll admit that would be inconvenient :) There's regular backups though, perhaps I should make them more regular. That might be a little task for tomorrow, it's the growing number of images I'm going to have the concerned about in the long run.

The good news is that my better half has allowed me the luxury to spend the last two hours on the site and user collection are now almost possible :) Even if you do have to go to a company page to edit them... one step at a time though :D I'll hopefully put this feature live in the next hour or so.
stelwibe

Unread post by stelwibe »

rhu - also pm'ed you, but thought others might have ideas/opinions able this so will post here. I have a friend who collects Camel cigarette packs from around the world. He was showing me a website that had a ton images, allowed users to set up accounts and track which ones they had, and I think also had functionality where you could see what other users had updated in their profile so that you could identify someone that had multiples and try to trade/buy. I am pretty sure there was a way to get images of newly identified packs on the site, but do not know if an individual user could do it or if it was more submitted to a few "admins" who would then register/number/create the new pack on the website. It does appear that images were the source of setting something up, as it does not appear that there are packs listed that do not have images. The website is http://www.camelcollectors.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (sorry, am not sure how to make it a link within this post). Also not trying to promote a different hobby. At a minimum, I thought it might help in thinking through what you are trying to do. - Dutch
- Dutch
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

rhu wrote:Thanks for signing up, you need to be manually approved so I'll do that for you now ;)

It's a shame that there are a lot of posts missing about playingcarddb on the forum now :( I'll need to pester Mike when I get some free time about creating a sticky topic.

There's two big features I'm working on:

- Tracking your own collection
- Valuation of decks

Unfortunately with zero funding and zero free time these things are taking longer that I would like :)
What do you need me to do, Rhu? It's one of the posts we lost during the restore?
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

My progress is so slow on this, sorry everyone! :D

I've decided to sell up to 90% of my relatively small card collection to help fund this little side project. I really just love knowing about all the different decks out there in the wild, so I think collecting them digitally onto PCDB would be a much more rewarding effort for me rather than hoarding every deck I purchase :)

Hopefully this means you'll start to see some real progress on this project soon!

Aside from the features I've mentioned I'm working on, my concern is how to encourage people here to help keep it up to date with all the latest releases. I think it's fantastic we've got it to over 700 decks listed, but I would love to keep it up to date every time a new deck is released.

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Perhaps by hosting competitions for moderators? Free decks for the top uploader(s) each month? Basically what I'm asking is what would I need to offer for you to help out every month ;)
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Haha do you require scans ? If you wish you could just grab photos from my thread, but they probably dont fit into the big picture. :roll:
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

rhu wrote:Aside from the features I've mentioned I'm working on, my concern is how to encourage people here to help keep it up to date with all the latest releases. I think it's fantastic we've got it to over 700 decks listed, but I would love to keep it up to date every time a new deck is released.

Any thoughts on how to solve this? Perhaps by hosting competitions for moderators? Free decks for the top uploader(s) each month? Basically what I'm asking is what would I need to offer for you to help out every month ;)
First, I'm super excited to see this is taking off again. Thanks!

I really think that once people are allowed to start managing their collections there it will happen naturally. There really isn't a good online and crowd sourced data method for people to do this, so if you can get the word out this could be very popular and reach the critical mass needed to be self-sustaining. I know I keep mine updated elsewhere and if we are OK with pre-release status and using stock photos (only until people get them in hand) people will add before they are even released. Personally, most of my decks are already there, but as I finally am moving mine from boxes to a display I will scan anything missing in the process. Hopefully that will be within the next week. Maybe about the same time as the launch where you will have ability to add to collections???? :D

Having free decks for top uploaders may help, but for anybody who knows they will never get close the only incentive will be to keep their collection complete. You could then include, or fully move to, a model where each submission gives you an entry into drawings for free decks. You can also look at how boardgamegeek.com operates with their 'Geek Gold' that is similar to what I described where each contribution gives you virtual currency that can be exchanged for silly badges, avatars, expiring ad free use (don't forget about including MINOR ads to help offset costs), etc. Although, I really think that most people will participate either for the good of the community, but mostly to ensure their collections are complete.

Also, I assume this will be fixed, but after logging in there needs to be a confirmation/redirect as right now it appears it is still being stuck in login page.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I do see now that I can add to the collection (I like how I can add multiples at once too!). In doing so they were added, but the indexes of the images must be off because the images in my collection don't match what is in the individual entries. I'm sure that's something still being worked, but wanted to call it out in case something else was off. It also took me a while to figure out that I had to first add the deck, then go add images, then go back to the main level and back into the entry before I can select the thumb image. Seems to work though.

I don't see how I can add a new 'brand' though, but did add some decks where it seemed to fit. Also, what is the definition of 'brand'? Usually that is Unbranded, HOPC or Bicycle when I think of that, but it seems as though it is actually being used as Designer or Publisher or Creator.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Glad to see you back, rhu! I thought we'd lost you or something. I tried to contact you but never heard back. For some reason I can't login and the password reset link doesn't work.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

volantangel wrote:Haha do you require scans ? If you wish you could just grab photos from my thread, but they probably dont fit into the big picture. :roll:
Yikes, they're awesome images! :) I fully intend on borrowing them for the site ;) I'm incredibly jealous that my photos will never end up looking like that.
ecNate wrote:I do see now that I can add to the collection (I like how I can add multiples at once too!). In doing so they were added, but the indexes of the images must be off because the images in my collection don't match what is in the individual entries. I'm sure that's something still being worked, but wanted to call it out in case something else was off. It also took me a while to figure out that I had to first add the deck, then go add images, then go back to the main level and back into the entry before I can select the thumb image. Seems to work though.

I don't see how I can add a new 'brand' though, but did add some decks where it seemed to fit. Also, what is the definition of 'brand'? Usually that is Unbranded, HOPC or Bicycle when I think of that, but it seems as though it is actually being used as Designer or Publisher or Creator.
Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful :) I'll look into the index issue. The definition of a brand is somewhat relaxed currently... I'll need to sort that sooner rather than later I think. I think you're right though, I need to focus on giving people a reason to use the site before I can expect people to update it regularly.

The virtual currency or a points system appeals to me, lots of experience with this in my past life as a casual game developer - I think this idea could work nicely :)
Mike Ratledge wrote:Glad to see you back, rhu! I thought we'd lost you or something. I tried to contact you but never heard back. For some reason I can't login and the password reset link doesn't work.
Haha, sorry. Too busy and not enough free time - must of forgot to reply! :) Will try and fix whatever has went wrong with that tonight.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Sure thing rhu ! Glad you like them =) Just remember to leave a small credit for me in the end !
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

How are things going rhu? Really hoping you are able to fix a few of the major issues so this can start to take off and build the db and members. As mentioned the deck index doesn't seem to be matching up when added to collection since it points to other images, probably a minor code bug? Also, most decks seem to say image needed even though the deck scan is selected and shows in index views, but not on the deck page itself at the top.

Also, really hoping that eventually we can have read only listings of collections to share and post online so anybody can go to a URL (eg. playingcarddb.com/ecNate/collection) to see all entries like what shows under 'my collection' currently.

I added a few more decks and scans, let me know if you need other assistance!
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

It makes me sad that this awesome site seems to have stalled. rhu, can I help in any way? It's been a while since I did PHP or other development, but I would be happy to help or take this over. I could even take over with hosting and or fork the code from your base if either is an issue. Perhaps you should consider moving the project to sourceforge and having a group continue to develop it?

Just trying to help since obviously you are quite busy and I think this would be a great asset for the community!
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

@ecNate: I eventually added the ability to share your collection

My collection: http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate's collection: http://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=6134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really need to make some progress with this today! This has been on my todo list for too long :)
rhu

Unread post by rhu »

Apologies for double post, but I think the usual problem is my lack of posting here ;)

* Fixed image bugs on collection page and homepage.

* Added a very basic list view for showing of your collections:

Mine: http://playingcarddb.com/cardcollection?u=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate: http://playingcarddb.com/cardcollection?u=6134" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;