"Pixel Gore" Illustrated Pixel Art Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
steffbradley

"Pixel Gore" Illustrated Pixel Art Cards

Unread post by steffbradley »

Hello all. I've designed a deck of cards that I wanted to pass by for some feedback from actual cardists. I'm interested in kickstarting these cards, and was looking for input from people who actively use cards, since I made these designs for class and this is my first foray into designing cards. The concept is a four-color deck, with illustrations on each face card and ace, as well as two joker illustrations. The "white" version is the original, while I recently made the "inverse" version as a possible kickstarter exclusive deck variant. The prototype I made included a box with a seperate top and bottom, but I would probably just use a normal tuck box if I were to kickstart the deck. Please let me know what you think.
cards3.png
cards3.png (625.93 KiB) Viewed 787 times
cards2.png
cards_original-01.jpg
cards_inverse-01.jpg
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: "Pixel Gore" Illustrated Pixel Art Cards

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like those Jokers, they are the best part of this design. I like that each court is different but increace their size. If the court cards have a lot of empty space on them, the look is hideous, even if the actual design is good. I also like the Ace of Spades and having the A in the middle is am interesting idea, however at this point I am not digging it. Keep working on it however as I could see it being a nice and a different look on the Aces. The back is a bit messy, but I like the idea of a strong colored back.

I see potential on this and some nice elements already, but I think this could use more work. Like 20-30 hours more. But even at this state this is already better than some decks out there.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

steffbradley wrote:Hello all. I've designed a deck of cards that I wanted to pass by for some feedback from actual cardists. I'm interested in kickstarting these cards, and was looking for input from people who actively use cards, since I made these designs for class and this is my first foray into designing cards. The concept is a four-color deck, with illustrations on each face card and ace, as well as two joker illustrations. The "white" version is the original, while I recently made the "inverse" version as a possible kickstarter exclusive deck variant. The prototype I made included a box with a seperate top and bottom, but I would probably just use a normal tuck box if I were to kickstart the deck. Please let me know what you think.
Unfortunately, these looks like cards made for a school project. You would not have a successful Kickstarter with either of these decks. They are subpar.

Why?

1. The colors are hard to read. Everything is hard to read.
2. The colors don't go well together.
3. The court cards have way too much white space and look small.
4. The artwork on the court cards is subpar.
5. The pip layout seems random and distracting.
6. The jokers stand out as the most conventional and attractive cards, only because they are the easiest to read.
7. The words on the tuck case are hard to read.
8. The tuck design features the joker? Jokers are extra cards. Daring choice to feature a joker on the cover. (and the joker's top of the nose is different on the tuck than in the joker image...pink and yellow on the tuck, nothing on the joker)

Now the black deck...actually not.

I'm sorry if this critique sounds too harsh. It is, but it's an honest critique. Please don't waste your time and effort creating a Kickstarter. It won't fund.

I would chalk this effort up to a class project and try and another design. Good on you for having enough confidence to show your art to a broader audience, and for completing a project, but you should just move on to your next idea.
steffbradley

Unread post by steffbradley »

TGunitedcardists wrote: Unfortunately, these looks like cards made for a school project. You would not have a successful Kickstarter with either of these decks. They are subpar.

Why?

1. The colors are hard to read. Everything is hard to read.
2. The colors don't go well together.
3. The court cards have way too much white space and look small.
4. The artwork on the court cards is subpar.
5. The pip layout seems random and distracting.
6. The jokers stand out as the most conventional and attractive cards, only because they are the easiest to read.
7. The words on the tuck case are hard to read.
8. The tuck design features the joker? Jokers are extra cards. Daring choice to feature a joker on the cover. (and the joker's top of the nose is different on the tuck than in the joker image...pink and yellow on the tuck, nothing on the joker)

Now the black deck...actually not.

I'm sorry if this critique sounds too harsh. It is, but it's an honest critique. Please don't waste your time and effort creating a Kickstarter. It won't fund.

I would chalk this effort up to a class project and try and another design. Good on you for having enough confidence to show your art to a broader audience, and for completing a project, but you should just move on to your next idea.
Hi, I would just like a bit of an elaboration. These cards were very popular among my department and won a few awards at my end of the year survey. I haven't heard such a harsh critique yet and would like some more input.
What makes them hard to read? Is it the size of the face cards? What makes the colors not work well? It's a standard CMYK with the addition of orange. Is it the saturation of the color? What makes the art subpar? Is it the use of the low res pixel art, or is it the drawing itself you don't enjoy? Or the concept of different animals for each suit? What makes the pip layout seem random? I didn't follow a particular existing layout for the pips, but they are laid out on a grid and consistent through each suit. Thanks.
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

steffbradley wrote:What makes them hard to read?
The colours. The size. The placement. Ask yourself, are they playing cards or art on cards. Can you imagine playing poker with these cards? Can you imagine getting dealt a couple cards, lifting the corner to find out what card you have and quickly understand the rank and the suit? The answer is, "No."
steffbradley wrote:Is it the size of the face cards?
Yes, the size doesn't help. Too much white space...way too much. As mentioned above, the placement of the rank and index.
steffbradley wrote:What makes the colors not work well? It's a standard CMYK with the addition of orange. Is it the saturation of the color?
They are hard to look at. Imagine playing cards with them? Do you think it is a better experience that a regular deck?
steffbradley wrote:What makes the art subpar? Is it the use of the low res pixel art, or is it the drawing itself you don't enjoy? Or the concept of different animals for each suit?
They don't look professional. They look like a student project. I don't enjoy the drawings. While art is subjective, that is my opinion. The concept of different animals for each suit is fine, but execution is the key.
steffbradley wrote:What makes the pip layout seem random? I didn't follow a particular existing layout for the pips, but they are laid out on a grid and consistent through each suit.
Sideways pips are not a good idea.
JuFiN
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

I dont mind the color scheme, I like that its really colorful that seems to be the point.

Big issue is that the indices need to be in the corners. like draw a box around the indices and all the pips / figures and expand until the indices are in the corners, makes the art bigger too which would be a plus. I should only have to see the top left 1/16th of that ace and know its an ace. As is the entire face needs to be visible, how is one supposed to play any game like that? You are given a hand of 13 cards and lay them out next to each other in a row on the table for all to see xD . I would remove the corner part of the current decoration in top left and bottom right corners and replace with the indices, you can leave the rest of the border pattern intact and it could look pretty nice. I actually like decks that put little things in the usually empty corners, but the index corners NEED indices.

I dont mind the sideways pips or the blindingly bright/loud colors, that seems to me to be the whole point! Not a deck to bring to a hardcore poker night, but not every deck should be.

Also, make the backs two way. (Same one way up as the other), should be pretty easy thing to do for such a design.

Overall I think its an ok idea given a few obvious fixes, I would probably back the white deck depending on printer and price should it show up on kickstarter.