Bharata Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Bharata Playing Cards

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

Here is a glance of a custom deck titled "Bharata Playing Cards" inspired from folk art & miniature paintings. All illustrations are being done by one of the top Indian Illustrators. More soon.
koh.png
koh.png (288.13 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
qoh.png
AoS.png
AoS.png (217.34 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Note: Font (Name of the deck) on AoS will change.
j1.png
j1.png (316.41 KiB) Viewed 2891 times

Regards,
Sunish
TGunitedcardists

Re: Bharata Playing Cards

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I think the court card artwork looks much better compared to your last deck.

The back and white Ace of Spades doesn't work in my opinion. Give it some color! I don't think the font for Bharata works well.

It also looks like you could push the letter, index and pip UP, as they look too far down on the card. For example, the J for Joker looks closer to the top than the K or Q.

I would also try enlarging the artwork 10 to 15% and use up more of the card. There is a little too much white space and makes the court cards look smaller. I like how the bird on the king of hearts is in the foreground. I would do the same with the heart pip, instead of trying to crowd it inside the white space of the yellow ring. Make the yellow ring in the background for everything.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TGunitedcardists wrote:I think the court card artwork looks much better compared to your last deck.

The back and white Ace of Spades doesn't work in my opinion. Give it some color! I don't think the font for Bharata works well.

It also looks like you could push the letter, index and pip UP, as they look too far down on the card. For example, the J for Joker looks closer to the top than the K or Q.

I would also try enlarging the artwork 10 to 15% and use up more of the card. There is a little too much white space and makes the court cards look smaller. I like how the bird on the king of hearts is in the foreground. I would do the same with the heart pip, instead of trying to crowd it inside the white space of the yellow ring. Make the yellow ring in the background for everything.
Thanks @TGunitedcardists.

Yes, the font on AoS will be changed to another Devnagri style font. Similarly, the alignment of the letter & pip is on the agenda and once first pass is done, the uncut sheet template will be scrutinized to check all such issues.

We did try a few coloring options for AoS but this version looked much better. That said, your comment has given me another idea to try. Let's see.
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

The art work looks pretty awesome with the court cards.
I think the AoS needs to be changed all together, however, as it doesn't fit the theme of the deck.
At first glance it looks like the dragon masks that are used during the Chinese Festival. The history of the mask goes back to the Shaman days though, but that's more Buddhism.
Bharata is a Hindu Emperor, is it not?! Court cards go well with the theme, I am looking forward to the Kings on this one given the title of the deck.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

nur1988 wrote:The art work looks pretty awesome with the court cards.
I think the AoS needs to be changed all together, however, as it doesn't fit the theme of the deck.
At first glance it looks like the dragon masks that are used during the Chinese Festival. The history of the mask goes back to the Shaman days though, but that's more Buddhism.
Bharata is a Hindu Emperor, is it not?! Court cards go well with the theme, I am looking forward to the Kings on this one given the title of the deck.
Yes, you're right in tying it with Buddhist Art :)

AoS depicts the lion heads from Ashoka's pillar in Ancient India's Gandhara Sculpture Style.This art style has its roots traced in Greco-Buddhist art. So, it does fit the theme of the deck.
RichK
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

TGunitedcardists summed up my thoughts on the cards.

Great artwork!
Move on, nothing to see here.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

First pass on card back....It takes inspiration from mandala, Rangoli designs & miniature Rajasthani Paintings. It is different from the regular card backs so do give it some time to sink in and grow on you. I tried looking around and only see a such a colorful back on Thunee deck which could not get printed by the way.
Card-Back-Bharata.jpg
nur1988

Unread post by nur1988 »

guru wrote:
nur1988 wrote:The art work looks pretty awesome with the court cards.
Yes, you're right in tying it with Buddhist Art :)

AoS depicts the lion heads from Ashoka's pillar in Ancient India's Gandhara Sculpture Style.This art style has its roots traced in Greco-Buddhist art. So, it does fit the theme of the deck.
Sweet. I had a google of the pillar, that Lion is majestic, I love it :o
The AoS still does look like a dragon mask used for a chinese new year festival though, but hey, maybe that's just me seeing it.

My comment wasn't about they style of the art, the art style is freakin' awesome :)

Also, the back design looks really good, love the colours. In terms of other colourful decks, Bollywood Masti deck is petty colourful. I've not seen the back design though, I don't own a deck.

Good luck with this, I look forward to seeing the Kings with this.
TGunitedcardists

guru wrote:
Card-Back-Bharata.jpg
I like it a lot.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

nur1988 wrote: In terms of other colourful decks, Bollywood Masti deck is petty colourful. I've not seen the back design though, I don't own a deck.
I've seen Bollywood Masti's card back....it is one way and just okay.

Stepchild
Decks Owned: 146

Unread post by Stepchild »

This back is so much fun! Love the way the white toothed arches surrounding the interior spades seem to create a spiral drawing the gaze to the center. Outstanding work. I'd want a poster-size add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

guru wrote:First pass on card back....It takes inspiration from mandala, Rangoli designs & miniature Rajasthani Paintings. It is different from the regular card backs so do give it some time to sink in and grow on you. I tried looking around and only see a such a colorful back on Thunee deck which could not get printed by the way.
Card-Back-Bharata.jpg
Have you shrunk it down to card size? I love the look and hypnotic floral design in center but fear smaller elements may get lost. The fine detail by the elephant's trunks will surely get lost.

Much better than the Bollywood back!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

RichK wrote:
Have you shrunk it down to card size? I love the look and hypnotic floral design in center but fear smaller elements may get lost. The fine detail by the elephant's trunks will surely get lost.

Much better than the Bollywood back!
Yes, I uploaded a newer version. I did a sample print at home with the same size, and it looked good. I will be getting a sample deck printed soon, just in case.

Improved AoS & Jack (Hearts) below.
AoS_2.png
AoS_2.png (239.08 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Jack_Hearts.png
Jack_Hearts.png (341 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
TGunitedcardists

I still think the Ace doesn't work for some reason, but the font is an improvement. Also, Guru Playinng Card Company needs to shift to the right, as it's not centered.

I took your image posted and did a quick and dirty job about scaling. Here are the results for your consideration.
Attachments
alt versions.jpg
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TGunitedcardists wrote:I still think the Ace doesn't work for some reason, but the font is an improvement. Also, Guru Playinng Card Company needs to shift to the right, as it's not centered.

I took your image posted and did a quick and dirty job about scaling. Here are the results for your consideration.
Yes, that issue with text centering will be fixed soon. I just wanted to share the update to AoS. The characters will be scaled as well, but suit rank & pip won't be close to the edge as registration can have problem then.
TGunitedcardists

guru wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:I still think the Ace doesn't work for some reason, but the font is an improvement. Also, Guru Playinng Card Company needs to shift to the right, as it's not centered.

Yes, that issue with text centering will be fixed soon. I just wanted to share the update to AoS. The characters will be scaled as well, but suit rank & pip won't be close to the edge as registration can have problem then.
I suggest trying some middle ground. The way you have it now is playing it way too safe. The pink lines are the safe zone, correct? If that's the case, anything inside is safe and shouldn't be affected if there are any registration issues.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

I'd like to see the AoS with color on lion/dragon head.

I also like the bigger pips in the 3rd scaling image. If you're concerned about the corner indexes you can move them down and in a bit on 3rd scaling without problems. Bigger images look nicer to me, less white space.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TGunitedcardists wrote:The pink lines are the safe zone, correct?
No, Pink line is the edge of the card.

Here is latest take. Expanded to grab more card space, I like the new and enlarged pip too. Thank you both.
QoH_2.png
QoH_2.png (317.68 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
QoS.png
QoS.png (323.88 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
TGunitedcardists

guru wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:The pink lines are the safe zone, correct?
No, Pink line is the edge of the card.

Here is latest take. Expanded to grab more card space, I like the new and enlarged pip too. Thank you both.
QoH_2.png
QoS.png
These look great and a big improvement. I assume the green will be for the black suits. Nice touch.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

TGunitedcardists wrote:These look great and a big improvement. I assume the green will be for the black suits. Nice touch.
+1 to all of this!
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

MagikFingerz wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:These look great and a big improvement. I assume the green will be for the black suits. Nice touch.
+1 to all of this!
+1 for me too!
TGunitedcardists

Are the number cards going to have a standard layout? (I hope so!) I wasn't a fan of your previous deck's number cards.

I did like how you all four aces where nice and big. I hope that trend continues!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

TGunitedcardists wrote:Are the number cards going to have a standard layout? (I hope so!) I wasn't a fan of your previous deck's number cards.

I did like how you all four aces where nice and big. I hope that trend continues!
Yes, Aces will be big.....Layout for number cards will still be custom in placement of the pips but it won't be similar to the other deck.

A few more.....
KoS.png
KoS.png (358.86 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
JoS.png
JoS.png (351.01 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
KoD.png
KoD.png (341.28 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
TGunitedcardists

guru wrote:
TGunitedcardists wrote:Are the number cards going to have a standard layout? (I hope so!) I wasn't a fan of your previous deck's number cards.

Yes, Aces will be big.....Layout for number cards will still be custom in placement of the pips but it won't be similar to the other deck.

A few more.....
KoS.png
JoS.png
KoD.png
These all look good!

If the placement of the pips will be non-standard, please keep in mind what poker players would be interested in. I mean, imagine a bunch of people who don't care about custom cards, and what would they think. You last deck, I imagine my friends saying, "What's this? This is strange."

If you're going with custom placements, ask yourself what benefit you get out of it. People purchase custom decks mainly for custom backs and face cards. People wanting custom number cards are far, far, far fewer. In most cases, a standard layout with custom pips are the ideal.
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Will the Diamonds have the gray oval and Clubs another color? I don't like the gray for some reason. I think it might be because it lacks any color associated on the court person's clothes so the gray stands out more. Would you think of keeping the Heart/Diamond ovals yellow and Spade/Club ovals green?
TGunitedcardists

RichK wrote:Will the Diamonds have the gray oval and Clubs another color? I don't like the gray for some reason. I think it might be because it lacks any color associated on the court person's clothes so the gray stands out more. Would you think of keeping the Heart/Diamond ovals yellow and Spade/Club ovals green?
That is also my preference. I like the yellow better than the gray. One for the red suits and one for the black suits would work.
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by guru »

RichK wrote:I'd like to see the AoS with color on lion/dragon head.
For you Rich. Saw a couple of other comments. Give me some time to process all these.
Ace-of-Spades.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

Haven't really made comments to date, but love the progress of this deck! That colored Ace looks much better, but I think that the colors used for the feathers is a little dark and doesn't go with the rest of the colors in the deck.

Keep up the great work! :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

The colored AoS looks much better than b+w. But like @shermjack said the petal colors are too dark and flat looking. You have good lighter blues on some courts that have really nice depth to them. I wonder if you can do the same lighter color blue and another color with depth so the Ace doesn't look so flat? Thanks.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Hi Sunish, great to see you on a new deck project - Nice and colourful!

I too prefer the coloured AoS - though I agree that those feathers might need a tweak to suit the rest of the artwork ... Love the back design! It's happy and intricate at the same time. Personally, I think the colour scheme of the card back could be closer to the courts (if that makes sense)? - but that's just my 2 cents :)