Modern Day Myth

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Modern Day Myth

Unread post by lindseyswop »

Hi, I'm pretty new. I'm an artist and illustrator working on a custom deck. I just wanted to post some progress to see what you all thought of them. Please share any opinions and anything technical I should know. This is my first time creating a deck. Once most of the designs are completed, I'll be launching a Kickstarter to fund printing through the USPCC. The project, Modern Day Myth, combines ancient Greek mythology with modern identities. Besides the two below, other examples will be Apollo as a musician, Athena as an activist, Hades and Persephone (coupled on the same card) as a dealer and addict, etc. Pips and indexes are custom.

Check out my deck in progress: http://www.moderndaymyth.com
IG: @lindseyswop & @moderndaymyth
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Modern Day Myth

Unread post by ecNate »

Welcome! The art look pretty solid and an interesting theme. We'll certainly want to see more, especially the tuck and card back, but also more cards as well.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Got it! Thanks, ecNate. And I will share more as I create them.
Wanderer
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by Wanderer »

Strange deck. At the amateur.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Wanderer wrote:Strange deck. At the amateur.
Not sure what that means. Can you explain?
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

lindseyswop wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Strange deck. At the amateur.
Not sure what that means. Can you explain?

If you can follow everything in this thread... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9627 ;)

I'm pretty sure it's a language issue (ESL), but I'll let Wanderer clarify if needed.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

That thread seems a little...tense.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Lindsey,

I think the artwork is gorgeous. Please share more with us as you create it. Don't forget the back of the cards as that is a big factor for a lot of collectors. Keep up the good work and just ignore any negative comments that might be expressed. Some people have an ax to grind- don't take it personally.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I love the idea! The artwork does look good, but I think it could look better. I can't put my finger on it, but do just a bit of tweaking and play with the design a bit and I think we will have a winner here. Have to stretch this: The courts look good, but I think it they are not in their full potential.

However the font you used on the index could use an overhaul. Meaning the J, Q, K font. So I would design that again.

Otherwise I have to say that you have a great idea and a good start to it - Keep working on this!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

I agree! I feel it's lacking. I'm playing with the idea of adding some background elements behind the courts. I will also work more on the indexes. Thank you!
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

So I'm fiddling around with adding a background to them.

TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I like the custom artwork but really don't like the font and the pip underneath.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

TGunitedcardists wrote:I like the custom artwork but really don't like the font and the pip underneath.
I can agree with that. My design skills have gone to the wayside in favor of illustration. I'm thinking of sticking to "default" pip and indexes.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

It's been a minute. I got caught up in other illustration commission. I wanted to drop in and give an update and hopefully receive some input. Still no backs yet or the tuck case. To speed up the process, I decided that each royal will serve double duty: Queen of Hearts will also be Queen of Diamonds, King of Hearts is also King of Diamonds, etc. I wanted to see some opinions on that as well. Thanks!

JuFiN
White Whale: Delirium Signature
Decks Owned: 1000

Unread post by JuFiN »

its always preferred to have unique art for each card.

For the red queen here, no one takes selfies with the screen facing away from them anymore. I know it makes for more interesting art than basically a black rectangle, but still.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

JuFiN wrote:its always preferred to have unique art for each card.

For the red queen here, no one takes selfies with the screen facing away from them anymore. I know it makes for more interesting art than basically a black rectangle, but still.
Her "twin" is taking her picture. While she is applying lipstick to the other.
Malthus1

Unread post by Malthus1 »

The artwork looks amazing! I love it.

One question though: the hearts have large heart pips in the upper left of the artwork area, the spades don't have large spade pips in the upper left. Is this a deliberate design element, or are spades going to be added later? I notice that the spades have much more subtle spade motifs (the queen on the bottle and book, the jack on the hat), but this is very different from the hearts.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

There is a great deal here to like, and I really hope you continue to pursue this project.

I particularly like the subtle differences between the two illustrations on each card. This is a difficult thing to do well on a playing card court, and you seem to have an inherent understanding of how to make that work.

I will observe that there's something wrong with the hand that is holding the lipstick/cell phone (or is that a card?) on the QoH. I think it's the wrong hand on that arm. I.e., it looks like it's supposed to be her right arm, but it's a left hand holding the lipstick/cellphone. The result creates a jarring effect; your brain knows something's not quite right about it. If you could fix that, I think that card would be a lot more awesome.

Keep up the great work. Your response to feedback has been right on target. You've got this.
This space intentionally left blank.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Malthus1 wrote:The artwork looks amazing! I love it.

One question though: the hearts have large heart pips in the upper left of the artwork area, the spades don't have large spade pips in the upper left. Is this a deliberate design element, or are spades going to be added later? I notice that the spades have much more subtle spade motifs (the queen on the bottle and book, the jack on the hat), but this is very different from the hearts.
Yeah, I think I need to work out exactly where I want those pips. I like the more subtle ones that are sort of hidden. Do you think those hidden ones will hinder its playability?
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

rousselle wrote:There is a great deal here to like, and I really hope you continue to pursue this project.

I particularly like the subtle differences between the two illustrations on each card. This is a difficult thing to do well on a playing card court, and you seem to have an inherent understanding of how to make that work.

I will observe that there's something wrong with the hand that is holding the lipstick/cell phone (or is that a card?) on the QoH. I think it's the wrong hand on that arm. I.e., it looks like it's supposed to be her right arm, but it's a left hand holding the lipstick/cellphone. The result creates a jarring effect; your brain knows something's not quite right about it. If you could fix that, I think that card would be a lot more awesome.

Keep up the great work. Your response to feedback has been right on target. You've got this.
They are applying the lipstick and taking the picture of each other if that makes sense. So the bottom Queen is applying the liptstick to the top Queen with her left hand, while the top Queen is taking the picture of the bottom Queen with her left hand. I think the boa she is wearing over her arms is adding to the confusing of the arm placement. Could probably use a rework.
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes

Unread post by rousselle »

Ah, ha! Now I get it. Yes, looked at that way, looks much, much better. Yes, I think the thick boa is what's hiding what should be more obvious. Exactly that.

:-)
This space intentionally left blank.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Image for clarity. The orange sketch is the arm placement under the sea foam boa. But I suppose if it has to be explained like this, it isn't working, and it needs to be reexamined. I will work on manipulating the boa more to show more arm and make it all more clear. Thanks a lot, guys!

Malthus1

Unread post by Malthus1 »

lindseyswop wrote:
Malthus1 wrote:The artwork looks amazing! I love it.

Yeah, I think I need to work out exactly where I want those pips. I like the more subtle ones that are sort of hidden. Do you think those hidden ones will hinder its playability?
For myself - I like the subtle ones you have done with the spades. I like them a lot. Though I don't think it is necessarily an either-or; you could have 'em both! (just as a possible example: give the queen of hearts a diamond heart pendant; give the king of hearts a subtle heart pattern on the straps of camera and apron; that sort of thing). I try to work little visual Easter Eggs like that into the deck I'm working on (the Star vs the Forces of Evil set). I admit I also use large card pips.

Whether to have the larger pips depends on what you think looks better with your art. Only, it ought to be consistent. All the face cards should follow more or less the same pattern.

As to playability - that should be okay either way; the pips on the left margin should ensure that.

On another note - I admit I totally did not get that each twin of the Q of Hearts was extending her arm to the other.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Nice work Lindsey :)

A few comments (though remember, they're just my 2c and in the end, the decision on where you take your artwork has to be up to you):

1.How about slanting (diagonal) Aphrodite's feather boa, or giving it a more 'open' appearance, to reveal more of the 'opposite' arm (if that makes sense)? I think the idea is really cool, though unfortunately, without a visual clue, you end up with that 'confusing' element where the eye will automatically try to connect the arm/hand to the upright character... Showing who the arm belongs to will remove that confusion.

2. The artwork is looking really good, and you're off to a great start! I'd suggest adding more variation: texture/ defining brush marks /contrast - which will help give each piece that 'finished' look. Keep pushing yourself. When stuck, it can be good to walk away for a few days and then come back with fresh eyes.

3. Personally, I wouldn't double up using the same character on more than one court card.

4. This is probably not necessary (as I'm sure you're on top of this already), but I thought I'd throw it in anyway... If you end up using reference photos of anyone (famous or not), make sure you have the necessary permissions. Better to be safe than sorry.

Look forward to more updates :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

lindseyswop wrote:Image for clarity. The orange sketch is the arm placement under the sea foam boa. But I suppose if it has to be explained like this, it isn't working, and it needs to be reexamined. I will work on manipulating the boa more to show more arm and make it all more clear. Thanks a lot, guys!
Very nice, Lindsey. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier but I will add you to the Deck Artist group. Enjoy!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.