Modern Day Myth

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
rousselle
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

Re: Modern Day Myth

Unread post by rousselle »

Ah, ha! Now I get it. Yes, looked at that way, looks much, much better. Yes, I think the thick boa is what's hiding what should be more obvious. Exactly that.

:-)
This space intentionally left blank.
lindseyswop
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by lindseyswop »

Image for clarity. The orange sketch is the arm placement under the sea foam boa. But I suppose if it has to be explained like this, it isn't working, and it needs to be reexamined. I will work on manipulating the boa more to show more arm and make it all more clear. Thanks a lot, guys!

Check out my deck in progress: http://www.moderndaymyth.com
IG: @lindseyswop & @moderndaymyth
Malthus1

Unread post by Malthus1 »

lindseyswop wrote:
Malthus1 wrote:The artwork looks amazing! I love it.

One question though: the hearts have large heart pips in the upper left of the artwork area, the spades don't have large spade pips in the upper left. Is this a deliberate design element, or are spades going to be added later? I notice that the spades have much more subtle spade motifs (the queen on the bottle and book, the jack on the hat), but this is very different from the hearts.
Yeah, I think I need to work out exactly where I want those pips. I like the more subtle ones that are sort of hidden. Do you think those hidden ones will hinder its playability?
For myself - I like the subtle ones you have done with the spades. I like them a lot. Though I don't think it is necessarily an either-or; you could have 'em both! (just as a possible example: give the queen of hearts a diamond heart pendant; give the king of hearts a subtle heart pattern on the straps of camera and apron; that sort of thing). I try to work little visual Easter Eggs like that into the deck I'm working on (the Star vs the Forces of Evil set). I admit I also use large card pips.

Whether to have the larger pips depends on what you think looks better with your art. Only, it ought to be consistent. All the face cards should follow more or less the same pattern.

As to playability - that should be okay either way; the pips on the left margin should ensure that.

On another note - I admit I totally did not get that each twin of the Q of Hearts was extending her arm to the other.
NineLives
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by NineLives »

Nice work Lindsey :)

A few comments (though remember, they're just my 2c and in the end, the decision on where you take your artwork has to be up to you):

1.How about slanting (diagonal) Aphrodite's feather boa, or giving it a more 'open' appearance, to reveal more of the 'opposite' arm (if that makes sense)? I think the idea is really cool, though unfortunately, without a visual clue, you end up with that 'confusing' element where the eye will automatically try to connect the arm/hand to the upright character... Showing who the arm belongs to will remove that confusion.

2. The artwork is looking really good, and you're off to a great start! I'd suggest adding more variation: texture/ defining brush marks /contrast - which will help give each piece that 'finished' look. Keep pushing yourself. When stuck, it can be good to walk away for a few days and then come back with fresh eyes.

3. Personally, I wouldn't double up using the same character on more than one court card.

4. This is probably not necessary (as I'm sure you're on top of this already), but I thought I'd throw it in anyway... If you end up using reference photos of anyone (famous or not), make sure you have the necessary permissions. Better to be safe than sorry.

Look forward to more updates :)
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

lindseyswop wrote:Image for clarity. The orange sketch is the arm placement under the sea foam boa. But I suppose if it has to be explained like this, it isn't working, and it needs to be reexamined. I will work on manipulating the boa more to show more arm and make it all more clear. Thanks a lot, guys!
Very nice, Lindsey. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier but I will add you to the Deck Artist group. Enjoy!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.