Feedback on custom alien themed deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Feedback on custom alien themed deck

Unread post by DanFeldmeier »

I've made some updates to my Kickstarter and believe I've taken care of most of my grammatical issues. I'm still finalizing images and working on the video, but I figured I'd see if anyone has any new feedback/suggestions on my updated campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... n=3ee8c4d8
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Just a reminder to everyone in case you missed it, my Kickstarter for Alien Empires is live! :D
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

So I've decided to cancel my Kickstarter for the time being. I believe I rushed into launching it despite not having taken all the steps necessary to ensure it had enough publicity. I haven't been able to focus on updates either due to having multiple conventions, helping my roommate get ready to move, and having to get myself ready to move as well.

I will definitely be relaunching Alien Empires when things settle down, which will hopefully be the end of April or beginning of May.

On that note, I'd also like to thank you all for your support, both for backing the project and for helping spread the word of Alien Empires, I truly appreciate y'all's support :)
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

Dan, don't forget that you had a high funding goal because you chose to go with a printer know for their reputation and quality with a high minimum order. A lot of the decks that fund quickly have a ridiculously low goal because use a crappy unknown printer. It's easy for them to get funded but the end product is only mediocre. I still think you made the right decision and that, with a few tweaks, your project will succeed. Remember, many projects succeeded only after several failed attempts. Hang in there. And be sure to stay active with UC. You never know what you might pick up by hanging around here (no pun intended- you should be ashamed of yourself).
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

I thought about the quality vs. price point but I agree, I'd rather have a higher goal and more expensive product than a cheaper, lower quality product that's easily funded. I'm going to spend the next month researching the best ways to spread the word/advertise the product. I've also got a couple friends who'll be helping with a press release and contacts, which is something I know nothing about. I'm confident I've got a good product and have gotten nothing but positive responses to the prototype deck, it's just figuring out how to get the word to as many people who want a deck filled with weird aliens.
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Been a while since I was on here, life's been, well, life. Looking to get back into the swing of things and will hopefully be relaunching my Kickstarter now that things have settled down a bit.

Oh, and any advice on how to promote my cards would be awesomely appreciated. I've reached out to Kardify (though very recently so I'm sure it may be a bit before a response is received). Any other avenues y'all can think of would be super appreciated!

Thanks again for all the advice and feedback as well!
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Well folks, looks like I'm finally able to get back into the swing of things and will be relaunching my Kickstarter mid-May (tentatively May 15th)! I'm super excited for my relaunch and, as always, totally open to any advice from everyone :)
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

After a recommendation from a graphic designer friend, I decided to add some color to the back of my cards. I've done 4 versions and was would like other's opinions on which would look the best as a playing card, 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Thanks!

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

3 and 4 are too monochrome for my taste, makes some of the details less noticable. 2 has the best color combo, with 1 on a close second place.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
flashcards

#2 with number 1 in second place.
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks for the feedback guys! #2 two is looking to be the winner so far, but 1 is only barely trailing behind :)
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

I like #2 better than #1. The green pops better on the purplish background. #3 + #4 look bad in comparison.
Move on, nothing to see here.
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

flashcards

Glad to see you back, Dan. I was a big supporter of your work the first time round and was sorry to see it not fund. I'm glad to see you back with realistic per deck prices and a great printer. I'm in for a one deck early bird. I wish there was a 2 deck EB as well. Best of luck to you.
DanFeldmeier
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks flashcards, glad to be back! It's great getting a second chance to get these cards going, I really want people to finally get their hands on them. And I don't know if you saw my comment, but you make a good point about the EB for 2 decks, thought didn't even occur to me. I'm sure I'll do a new deck of cards in the future so I'll have to make sure to include one on my next campaign.