Query on different card stocks and specs

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
guru
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Query on different card stocks and specs

Unread post by guru »

Hi All,

I was trying to look for the information in the knowledge base on various card stocks but didn't find it so thought of posting it here. I'm sure that at least the newbies do get overwhelmed easily by the no. of options available on the card stocks and how to pick the most relevant one based on the project's context.
I understand that the key element is always the cost which dictates the decision, but what are the other parameters that need to be looked at to zero in on the best option.

This might be answered before, so please feel free to point out the reference or post I need to look at. I also would like to acknowledge that I have always taken a look at the decks that I admire to decide on the options to be considered.

Here are some of the questions that have been there in my mind in one form or the other, but please feel free to add more so that the experts @ UC can help us in getting the answers or at least point to some place else.

1. Difference between various stocks from LPCC, EPCC, USPCC, MPC etc.
2. Preferred card stock for playing card - promotional e.g. distributed to conference attendees, cardistry/magic, regular play, collectibles
3. Preferred card stock for Tarot cards
4. Cards accompanying board games like Dixit etc. or Card games like Cards against humanity etc.
5. Difference between linen vs smooth finish (e.g. MPC advertises both stocks)
6. Difference between French vs German card stock

The last question I've got is that for decks with unique elements like Ganjifa deck (http://kck.st/22lCEnx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) where my aim was to combine both form & function, is there really any benefit to go with 310 gsm black core + linen finish vs. if I'd gone without linen finish. I'd read somewhere on Board Game Geek Forum that linen finish does affect the life of the card.

Looking forward to the answers to some or all of the above questions.

Regards,
Sunish
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Query on different card stocks and specs

Unread post by ecNate »

I have a few other links, but start here. https://youtu.be/t_6bD9eRfu8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;