MOBIDECK

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
OzLemon

MOBIDECK

Unread post by OzLemon »

Hi all,

we just wanted to show you the optimized and final cards of our MOBIDECK, currently on kicktsarter. Unfortunately, we are slowing down a bit, and thinking of a relaunch. We started much to early and did not get the communication in flow... but we are looking forward to get the second chance with an optimized prizing for the decks and shipping.. we will see :shock:

The Idea behind the MOBI DECK was to create a deck with the stuff we had in aour archives..... We had such a lot of stuff of other Vintage projects, we printed per hand on woodblocks and made a lot exhibitions, so we decided to use this stuff in a different style, and combine all these wonderful pictures and drawings from the past.

We discovered, that we had a lot of "mobility scenes" .. so we had the idea to create "themes" with every card suit: SPADES stands for all things happening in the air, HEARTS stands for wheels and all happening in the ground and so on...

The deck is really colorful and the reinterpretation of all these artworks from the past, was a lot of fascinating ans also funny work.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/20 ... gned-by-da" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://design-chiemsee.de/mobideck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you can see a bit more.. and yes, we would be happy to get some feeback about teh cards ;-)

We have two more decks in design development..we will post the first drafts the next two weeks.

Have a nice week,
Cheers, Tim.
pablo19
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 0

Re: MOBIDECK

Unread post by pablo19 »

I belive you had already made a thread about this deck to no reply, it would have been nice if you had posted there instead of opening up a new thread.
As it is now this deck is basically unplayable. If someone were to purchase it he would own a collection of nice random vintage/public domain image cards, but not a deck of playing cards. Hopefully you take this into account for your relaunch or next decks. You could also show the work process a bit in your next proyect, there does not seem to be much merit in using old work / public domain images putting playing card indices on it and launching it as a playing card deck on kickstarter.

Anyway, good luck

Edit: I wrote instagram instead of kickstarter, no clue why that happened :shock:
OzLemon

Unread post by OzLemon »

Hi pablo19,
thx for your feedback. I deleted the first (double) post in "New & custom decks", as this deck is not yet finally produced.
It is a lot of work in this deck, and it's not only putting some indices on "existing cards".. it's an idea and a concept, we got very nice feedback for this deck, and for sure, it's more a collectors deck.
It's a bit like the Ultimate Deck of Stranger&Stranger, not everyone likes it, but it's a nice idea and makes a lot of fun.
No prob if you don't like it, anyway have a nice week ; )
ecNate
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Agree it's an art deck so a lot of the 'rules' may not apply. I'm also OK with using public domain art as a base, a few of other decks have done this so if done right I'm fine with it.

However, unlike Stranger or other artist collective deck you don't have the justification for the higher cost because it's not an embossed tuck and quality cards from a major printer (USPCC, Legends, EPCC). Besides not having the costs to pay all the artists you also don't have the additional interest each one brings that adds up to quite a bit of additional marketing and interest. I would also argue that this is one case where having edge bleed fronts is fine since it's an art deck (don't add a border to the fronts to make it more playable - it cheapens the look of an art deck and really does little to add to play-ability given all the other inherent problems). However, I think the back should try and be mirrored and be more intricate than a color swirl.

Overall I think the biggest challenges are the non-US currency without being an established repeat card producer and the price (considering printer and niche theme). You maybe can't do much about the currency unless you find a US based partner, but you simply must work on the costs and shipping at a minimum. Working with a single printer/fulfillment company (like Legends or EPCC, can't recall) may help here, and also improve the printing quality. The price for your current project should fall into the $12-$14 shipped to US all things considered, but you are currently at $16 to $19. Considering decks at that price are totally custom art from scratch, premium tuck box, USPCC/EPCC/Legends printed, established and sought after artists and even then less....you see where the problem is, yes?

I am interested in this and previously starred it, but can't justify the price this time around. I'll be watching though, good luck!
OzLemon

Unread post by OzLemon »

Hi ecNate, thx for your feedback.

Yes, i agree with you.. it's a bit of a kind "Learning by doing" at this moment.. but it's ok for us. We do mostly packaging design and have an own Spirits Brand.. (not available in the US) for this Brand we planned to create two decks, with a lot of custom work and really very time intensive. I think we will need more than half a year for this.. My idea was, to produce the Mobideck before, to see what happens, which mistakes might happen and so on... ok, so far.. Now we see whats happening, and what we have to optimize... and yes.. we now see the problems and got in contact with USPCC, Legends and fulfilment services. Uff.. i did not expect that it might get so complicated, but that's life.

The pricing is instead really difficult, we also need an amount of decks in Germany to be shipped by ourselves, so we have to add Tax, Custom Fees and a special "Reseller Fee". This is crazy.. and so we have to think again.. a friend of mine from the US visited us this week and we talked about this problem. The only solution is to handle all things in the US.. maybe this works. Otherwise the addtional shipping Fees and the Tax makes all very difficult... but anyway, we will check it out and find a solution that works...

I was faszinated from deck collecting in the youth, and now this faszination comes back with the option to create decks with your own passion..
We will come back soon with news..hopefully good news ; )
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

The look on the womens face says it all... why did I marry a lunatic.
montecarlojoe
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

When I saw the topic title I was expecting a deck about a big white whale...
Sunz
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by Sunz »

montecarlojoe wrote:When I saw the topic title I was expecting a deck about a big white whale...
AHAHAHAH! The same here xD
OzLemon

Unread post by OzLemon »

Yep.. :-) Moby Dick was written in the 19th Century in london and New York.. so, playing with the words was our intention, it has also to do with Mobility, water etc.
Cheers, Oz.
OzLemon

Unread post by OzLemon »

Hi everybody,

the Mobideck-project was not finished and we did not reach our funding goal on kickstarter. So we decided to make a relaunch in September 2016 with some optimization.
We will post it after summer ;-)

Cheers,
Oz.