Anatomy Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
justchalk

Anatomy Cards

Unread post by justchalk »

Hi cardists! I have a love for all things chalk and recently came up with some designs for a custom set of poker cards! Im a biology student hence the idea and a wishful thinking i have is eventually turning this into a kickstarter project. I hope you guys can give me some feedback for the cards! I'm not done with all the cards yet so do let me know if this is kickstarter-worthy :) All the designs are done in chalk and edited with Photoshop.
2 Club
2 Club
10 diamond.jpg
J club2.jpg
K heart.jpg
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Anatomy Cards

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Hey!

I like the pip cards and that jack. The red color used on the pips of the ten works very well!

I'm not a big fan of that king though. Also maybe put the indecies and the suit indicator closer to the edge.

I'd say that this is a good start but it needs more work. You got my curiosity.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Look at Jackson Robinson's chalk art here. Granted, he's a master card designer, but you need more "chalkiness".

Like the hand for the pip but it doesn't let you know what suit it is.
Your diamond looks like a kite to me.
The court pips are not good, keep them simple and don't cover the court picture.
Why put flowers on the Jack and is the King head a real MRI/CAT scan image? I don't see any jaw bone.

I applaud you for trying to design a deck because I could never but this needs work to tighten it up. Hopefully other members can add opinions.

Good luck in school!
Move on, nothing to see here.
jaytayo2212
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 36

Unread post by jaytayo2212 »

As a molecular biology & biochemistry major who loves medicine, I love this concept! nicely portrayed as well :)

That being said, I agree with the others in that it needs to be brushed up a tad. for the pips, I like the 10 of diamonds style without the borders or the vertical lines within the heart. The extra embellishments look like they take away the "chalky" similarity it has the the skeleton hand pips and courts. For example the JoC - the J is fine, has that little interior detail, but the club looks flat and out of place. I am fine with the indicators being traditional, while the number pips different, but add the chalky look and it will be perfect. I also think they should be put farther into the corners (I don't particularly care for them to cover the courts like the king)

Again, that being said, its on the right track to being awesome!
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by sarone13 »

What an awesome deck! Personally, I prefer the indices with no outline, like the 2 and 10 cards. Also, you could consider dropping the larger pip on the court cards – some decks do that. Or integrate the suit into the art more. It does fall flat now like other have said.

And if you're using Photoshop and have a drawing tablet – a fellow illustrator friend has some great PS chalk brushes here: http://crtv.mk/e0Eeh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forward to seeing more!
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com
Scrambled Decks

Unread post by Scrambled Decks »

Can you make the hearts look like a realistic heart or is that too hard to draw in the chalk style? Also, maybe you can make the font for the numbers more "skeletal". Since you're using those skeleton hands for the clubs pips, do you have any ideas for customizing the other suits as well with anatomy related images?
For the court cards it would be cool if each card had a different "level" of detail. For example, one with the skeletal system, one with the cardiovascular system, one with the nervous system, one with the muscular system, etc.
The jack looks really well drawn, especially for a chalk style but I agree the flowers are kind of random.
Check out my channel for in-depth deck reviews - https://www.youtube.com/ScrambledDecksReviews