Cocktail Hour Playing Cards by Sarah Ferone

Find out about the latest and greatest playing cards hitting the market.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Cocktail Hour Playing Cards by Sarah Ferone

Unread post by sarone13 »

Hi everyone-

I'm an illustrator and new to the forum here. I've been developing a custom deck of cards over the last several months and would love to share a bit of the progress with you all.

My deck is called Cocktail Hour and has a playful cocktail theme that brings my illustration style to the cards. The theme is more about the craft of the cocktail, so in the face cards show some preparation and process alongside some finished drinks.

I first introduced this deck over on the Playing Card Forum, so some of you may have seen a bit of the process already. I also worked with Don Boyer over there to help make this a functional playing card deck for game play. So attached are the tuck box, back design, heart face cards and some number cards (these are Photoshop mock-ups). My plan is to add a copper foil to the tuck box (orange/rust color details), and maybe embossing....

I'm really open to hearing your feedback, I always think it's good to get objective eyes on a project, especially when you've been buried in it for so long :)

Thanks for your time and looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this deck!
Attachments
CH2-A3.jpg
CH-Back.jpg
CH-Hearts.jpg
CH-Numbers2.jpg
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com
Räpylätassu
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Re: Cocktail Hour Playing Cards

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like this very much. The back is nice and the different sized pips on the same cards is a very cool idea!

Have you thought about making these borderless? I'm not saying that you should do it, but I would like to see a possible design for it.

So far what I am seeing, I would get one of these if and when the opportunity comes.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
Sunz
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by Sunz »

Boarderless would look great too, but i think that's better like this! The idea of the deck is pretty nice, but I don't really like the art form on the royals!
JofDiamonds

Unread post by JofDiamonds »

I think the bordered design helps emphasize the idea of a well made drink. It's clean, not sloppy. But, as they say, seeing is believing. We won't really know unless it can be seen side by side.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks so much Räpylätassu, Sunz , and JofDiamonds!

Well, I may just have to try out a borderless back :) The fan could look pretty awesome that way. And while I may prefer the borders anyways, let's see how it looks!!

So generally though, having a borderless back would not be a deal breaker for you? Of course I know there's no hard rules, but I was trying to think about best practices while designing these, but maybe it's ok for a deck like this..?!

And totally understand that the art is not everyone's cup of tea, but hopefully it intrigues some out there! Appreciate the honest feedback. :)

Thanks so much everyone!
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Here's an example of a borderless back. The fan could be pretty trippy, ha! The larger pattern felt a bit bold, so I also tried a smaller scale pattern at full bleed.

Good suggestion to try out for sure. I think it may have made me more convinced that a border is the right direction. Like @JofDiamonds said, a clean border complements the idea of a well made drink.

But how do you all like these options?

Thanks!
Attachments
Cards-Mockups-For-Website-MARBLE.jpg
Cards-Mockups-For-Website-fullbleed.jpg
Cards-Mockups-For-Website-fullbleed-small-fan.jpg
Cards-Mockups-For-Website-fullbleed-small.jpg
JofDiamonds

Wow. You're going to have split opinions, I think.

A suggestion for your kickstarter, which may or may not be a good idea: coasters. You could find some way to print or etch your back design on ceramic tiles and have them as pledge add ons. Aside from making an assortment of different glasses, I'm not sure what could better complement the theme.

I still think the bordered design is better for the theme, but that second full bleed pattern is pretty crazy.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

JofDiamonds wrote:Wow. You're going to have split opinions, I think.

A suggestion for your kickstarter, which may or may not be a good idea: coasters. You could find some way to print or etch your back design on ceramic tiles and have them as pledge add ons. Aside from making an assortment of different glasses, I'm not sure what could better complement the theme.

I still think the bordered design is better for the theme, but that second full bleed pattern is pretty crazy.

COASTERS!! :) Will have to research this, but what a great complement to the theme. Thanks!
JofDiamonds

sarone13 wrote:COASTERS!! :) Will have to research this, but what a great complement to the theme. Thanks!
You thank me now, but you'll still have to decide whether or not the coasters will have ... a border.
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I'd say that go with the border at first, then perhaps a borderless deck as a stretch goal. Also the smaller patern works much better on the borderless deck.

So my intial vote is for thin borders and the smaller patern, no border deck as a possibilty.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I think this is a pretty fun deck and think the courts are perfect for the theme, reminds me of the artwork back then :D I actually like the borderless version 8-) ...let's see it in a circular fan and not a spread
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

If you can't to borderless than use the smaller design pattern for me. I agree about no borders on the courts too.

Pips are great being different sized but will they have the "waterstained" look? I like that.

My question would be what are each court card drinking? I'm guessing the King of Hearts has a bloody mary for the splitting headache because of the sword in his head. ;) Just my opinion when I see a deck named Cocktail Hour. Otherwise I like it all.
Move on, nothing to see here.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Thanks so much @ Räpylätassu, shermjack, JofDiamonds and RichK! Really good to hear your feedback!

You guy have certainly given me some food for thought with the back borders! Definitely something to consider. I feel like I have sit and look at them side by side for a while. And I can post a circular fan soon. :)

Re: the pips - Yes! The pips on the number cards will have a "watercolor-like" texture. (Note: pips in the indices will be a solid color). Glad you like that @RichK!

And @RichK, you are correct that these courts cards are assigned cocktails. Some are more obvious than others, and I have some fun plans on how/when I'll share 'em during the campaign. Stay tuned!

Cheers all!
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

A very classy deck, I think it will do very well on KS.

I like the full bleed large symbols on the back myself.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

NCarter wrote:A very classy deck, I think it will do very well on KS.

I like the full bleed large symbols on the back myself.
Thanks Nic!

Still looking at the border options side by side, but I definitely prefer the larger scale pattern as well. :)
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

After much consideration, I am going to stick with the borders for my back design. Lots of little things swayed my decision, like how the design was cropped at full bleed, to potential wear and tear on the card edges. Also, I realized that I prefer borders on cards for game play. :)

However, I realized that I can make the borders a little narrower than in the first image I shared (these will be printed with LPCC). An updated image is attached. I'm really glad to have your input, so I hope no one's too disappointed that I've decided to stick with borders – it was a great exercise to do, and seriously left me torn between them for a while, ha!

I have a few more shots of some tweaks I've been making, and a few more cards to share.

And, I'm looking at a mid-May Kickstarter launch, I'll post a preview link of the campaign later this week.

Thanks everyone!
Attachments
Cocktail-Hour-TuckBox-b.jpg
FERONE-CocktailHourPlayingCards-5-back.jpg
Cards-Mockups-BackFan.jpg
CH-Numbers2-diamonds.jpg
JofDiamonds

Will you have printing on the tuck interior? I feel like you could pass on embossing and foiling without much complaint, but a plain white interior might detract from the elegance.
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

JofDiamonds wrote:Will you have printing on the tuck interior? I feel like you could pass on embossing and foiling without much complaint, but a plain white interior might detract from the elegance.

I have a plan for copper foil detailing as a little stretch goal, and really think it's going to look great on the tuck. My embossing plan was pretty simple, but I could totally see swapping that with an interior print to be implemented first, which I agree, will make a bigger impact to the packaging as a whole. I'd be down with that!

I'll have to look at the numbers to see when embossing can work financially then...
hsbc
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Grid 1 LE
Decks Owned: 1500

Unread post by hsbc »

Cocktail Hour Playing Cards, $14.00

Cocktail Hour is a custom, illustrated deck of playing cards that celebrates the craft of the cocktail. This deck features playful and modern court cards that whip up classic cocktails, custom suits with inky textures, and it all comes packaged in an attractive box with copper foil details and a pretty seal.
Deck features:

52 playing cards + 2 jokers
Poker size
Classic finish
Tuck box includes copper foil details and interior printing
Custom seal
Printed by Legends Playing Card Company

You'll be receiving a superior deck of playing cards that has a linen-like texture and papery feel that's been said to handle like vintage Bicycle decks. All card enthusiasts should be pleased.

I love how playing cards can bring people together for some fun and great conversation. I hope this deck will be enjoyed for years to come and add a touch of elegance and charm to your gatherings.
[Moved from Custom to New Decks --hsbc]
P52DCIGUCr/m/52+J