Partisans

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
JofDiamonds
Player: Yes

Re: Partisans

Unread post by JofDiamonds »

shermjack wrote: where your rendering has 24...with your borders and 40+ cards, I think you would lose that beautiful back. :(
Yeah, it's a, uh, *cough* Euchre deck.

I'm lazy.

But don't you worry, I'm pretty well fixed on doing a borderless back. I was actually wondering more for the faces. I'd like to get the indices and pips closer to the edges.

For example, on the queen, I've got the indices 0.09 inches from the die. The safe standard is 0.12. 3/4 of the safe distance is about as close as I've ever seen anyone go.
QHearts.png
QHearts.png (118.08 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
(Also, I've altered the sleeves a bit.)
sarone13
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by sarone13 »

The queen looks really lovely :) I do feel the font you chose for the indices goes really well with the feeling for the deck, but I wish it just had a tiny bit more weight...

And I see you have also have a dilemma for choosing between borderless and borders. The borderless example does looks pretty sweet. Good luck with the choice!
Cocktail Hour Playing Cards available here:
http://www.cocktailhourcards.com
JofDiamonds

sarone13 wrote:The queen looks really lovely :) I do feel the font you chose for the indices goes really well with the feeling for the deck, but I wish it just had a tiny bit more weight...

And I see you have also have a dilemma for choosing between borderless and borders. The borderless example does looks pretty sweet. Good luck with the choice!
Thanks for the feedback. I added some weight to the indices and pips (Not a font. I couldn't find any that were suitable.). It kind of threw off the rest, so I also made the inner border a bit heavier. Still on the fence as to whether that's enough. Considering a light inner background pattern.
Queen of Hearts.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Unread post by shermjack »

I agree that the Queen looks great, though I am wondering about her pose with her hand to her mouth...is there any meaning behind it? Might it be better if she were smelling the rose instead? Also, the sleeve looks a little too straight...maybe make it more flowing with curves? Sorry for the nit-picking, but overall I am definitely liking how this deck is turning out! :ugthink:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:I agree that the Queen looks great, though I am wondering about her pose with her hand to her mouth...is there any meaning behind it? Might it be better if she were smelling the rose instead? Also, the sleeve looks a little too straight...maybe make it more flowing with curves? Sorry for the nit-picking, but overall I am definitely liking how this deck is turning out! :ugthink:
Considering you've seen only one card so far, I'm definitely liking how you're liking how the deck is turning out :D Yes, there is a reason for her hand to be at her mouth. There's also a reason for the rose to be old and losing its petals.

My last edit gave me a little more room to play with, so I've played with it, and the front edge now has a slight wave to it. Also, a simple, unobtrusive pattern for the background.
Queen of Hearts.jpg
JofDiamonds

Alright, onward to the king!
KHearts.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

The bald head is kind of a letdown :cry: ...too much empty space :?

JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:The bald head is kind of a letdown :cry: ...too much empty space :?
I do plan on dropping a crown on it, but I haven't figured out yet how to make an appropriately barbaric crown. I'll give it some thought today.
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

JofDiamonds wrote:
shermjack wrote:USPCC registration is the worst :evil:

Nice fans...still prefer the borderless design, but if you do go with a border, can you make it thinner? :D
I've heard a few times that you can invade the safe area without too much concern. How far can you go?
I agree with JofDiamonds about the borderless/thinner border too, especially seeing his deck fan picture.
Move on, nothing to see here.
JofDiamonds

Does this relieve your prejudice against the bald?
KHearts.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

I think that it is an improvement, but the way that the crown seems like a continuous line from his face throws it off for me...apologies for being so picky :oops:
but definitely looking forward to seeing more of the deck!

Question: Are you planning for this deck to be only one (or two) colors?

JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:I think that it is an improvement, but the way that the crown seems like a continuous line from his face throws it off for me...apologies for being so picky :oops:
but definitely looking forward to seeing more of the deck!

Question: Are you planning for this deck to be only one (or two) colors?
Don't apologize for being picky! It's hard to critique your own work. Even if you do feel there's something wrong, your brain looks at it and says, "Nope, eff you, we did it and it's damn fine." And of course, sometimes I don't see any problem at all (see Queen's sleeves). A decent critic is worth his weight in gold. No, I can't pay you. ;)

The card faces will be in two colors, to distinguish between red and black suits, and the card back will be one.
JofDiamonds

KHearts.jpg
Any improvement here?
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

I think it looks better! Look forward to seeing more :D

RichK

Unread post by RichK »

JoD

I'm liking this deck too. Intrigued by the wilting rose now. Having the crown curved at the base is better than just a straight lined crown, like shermjack noticed.

I too am looking forward to more. Thanks. :)
JofDiamonds

RichK wrote:JoD

I'm liking this deck too. Intrigued by the wilting rose now. Having the crown curved at the base is better than just a straight lined crown, like shermjack noticed.

I too am looking forward to more. Thanks. :)
Thanks, Rich.

Here is more:
JHearts.jpg
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

Is this a Black Plague theme? Queen holding a poesy? Hmmmm.
JofDiamonds

RichK wrote:Is this a Black Plague theme? Queen holding a poesy? Hmmmm.
The theme is Moral Foundations Theory. The theory attempts to make sense of the variety of moralizing we see within and between societies. Each suit will depict aspects of morality that can be valued more or less, but everyone can relate to.

For example, the Queen of Hearts is love and loss.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

JofDiamonds wrote: The card faces will be in two colors, to distinguish between red and black suits, and the card back will be one.
I was about to write something about the deck being mainly one color and noticed that Don brought it up on the PCF board...though I don't mind the single color, I don't think the majority of collectors like it (another recent deck that I really liked was Contours by Olly Swinyard but unfortunately did not attract enough supports to fund)...would you be willing to add some colors to see how it looks?

JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:
JofDiamonds wrote: The card faces will be in two colors, to distinguish between red and black suits, and the card back will be one.
I was about to write something about the deck being mainly one color and noticed that Don brought it up on the PCF board...though I don't mind the single color, I don't think the majority of collectors like it (another recent deck that I really liked was Contours by Olly Swinyard but unfortunately did not attract enough supports to fund)...would you be willing to add some colors to see how it looks?
I'm not sure if I can. I've designed the cards from the start to be monochrome, unlike Contours which is basically a classic deck already, and could be colored with a paint bucket and half an hour of time. I have few closed paths that can be filled. Coloring elements differently has the appearance of being arbitrary.
KHeartsColorTest1.jpg
KHeartsColorTest1.jpg (73.12 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Choosing a single element, such as the tattoo pattern, draws attention away from the whole.
KHeartsColorTest2.jpg
KHeartsColorTest2.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
However, adding a different color to the background pattern does serve to make the portrait pop, which is nice, and is not distracting at all.
KHeartsColorTest3.jpg
KHeartsColorTest3.jpg (80.47 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

JofDiamonds wrote:I'm not sure if I can. I've designed the cards from the start to be monochrome, unlike Contours which is basically a classic deck already, and could be colored with a paint bucket and half an hour of time. I have few closed paths that can be filled. Coloring elements differently has the appearance of being arbitrary.
KHeartsColorTest1.jpg
Choosing a single element, such as the tattoo pattern, draws attention away from the whole.
KHeartsColorTest2.jpg
However, adding a different color to the background pattern does serve to make the portrait pop, which is nice, and is not distracting at all.
KHeartsColorTest3.jpg
I agree about the dark element overpowering the whole. The black background does make the portrait pop but I wonder what a red background would look like with black portrait. I bet you could do a quick color swap to see.
JofDiamonds

RichK wrote:I agree about the dark element overpowering the whole. The black background does make the portrait pop but I wonder what a red background would look like with black portrait. I bet you could do a quick color swap to see.
How about a spade instead?
Partisan King of Spades.jpg
Partisan King of Spades.jpg (100.55 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

I honestly think that the monochrome nature of this deck is turning people away, despite the nice artwork. If you are set on staying with red and black, would you consider filling in some areas with solid color as opposed to all lines? I think that might give it more punch.

JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:I honestly think that the monochrome nature of this deck is turning people away, despite the nice artwork. If you are set on staying with red and black, would you consider filling in some areas with solid color as opposed to all lines? I think that might give it more punch.
Do you have in mind something like this?
Partisan King of Spades.jpg
Partisan King of Spades.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

No, more like some solids in the courts themselves...maybe instead of shaded parts of hearts, half of the spiral hearts is completely solid...just trying to think of ways to giving it more 'Pop'

RichK

Unread post by RichK »

I liked the red/black lines behind the courts but looking at them again agree with shermjack that you need some solids on the courts somewhere. The black background in my eye makes the card look like something I'd get colored pencils and start drawing on.

It needs something solid somewhere but I can't see where, sorry.
JofDiamonds

shermjack wrote:No, more like some solids in the courts themselves...maybe instead of shaded parts of hearts, half of the spiral hearts is completely solid...just trying to think of ways to giving it more 'Pop'
I'll see what I can do, but as I said before with the color changes, it is difficult to make a popping fill variation without also creating a jarring inconsistency in the art.
RichK wrote:I liked the red/black lines behind the courts but looking at them again agree with shermjack that you need some solids on the courts somewhere. The black background in my eye makes the card look like something I'd get colored pencils and start drawing on.

It needs something solid somewhere but I can't see where, sorry.
I've actually given more than a few thoughts toward making an adult coloring book with these. ;)

Here's an updated version of the Queen of Hearts to consider.
QHearts.jpg
JofDiamonds

Alright. Some changes.
Partisan Queen of Hearts.jpg
Partisan Queen of Hearts.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

I like the red background. It pops. It fits with the back. There is always room for more red decks.

Looking much better! I think that you should stick with the red.
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
RichK

Unread post by RichK »

While I'll miss your custom pips the new red Queen looks great. Lets hope the black King works as well. :)