Dwarfs First time around, early art work.

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
8lack8ear
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Dwarfs First time around, early art work.

Unread post by 8lack8ear »

Hi Guys, we are very close to a final design and was hoping to get some last minute feed back.
Attachments
Aces.jpg
spades.jpg
Harts.jpg
clubs.jpg
8lack8ear

The Jokers and card back are also now 99% ready. Let us know what you think.
Attachments
Diamonds.jpg
Jokers.jpg
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

Must say I am looking forward to seeing this deck live.

Any chance the thumb on the hand print could not be cut off at the edge though? Its the first thing I saw and it very distracting and hard not to "un-see".
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

NCarter wrote:Must say I am looking forward to seeing this deck live.

Any chance the thumb on the hand print could not be cut off at the edge though? Its the first thing I saw and it very distracting and hard not to "un-see".
Not to mention if it bleeds to edge of card that you can see it from the edge of a stacked deck or in somebody's hand, impacts play-ability that way. I also like the art work though, looking forward to seeing more and will be considering it when it is available or launches if on KickStarter.
8lack8ear

You are very right, I picked up on the fact that it was cut off on the side after I posted the previous images, we were unfortunately not using the printers template to make sure the card actually works as a playing card. I've fixed it up some but it may need some more work.
Attachments
Picture8.jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

I'm really cutting back on decks, but if the price and quality are right I think I'll be in on this one. The theme is fun and art well done, plus I like the alternate pip style, yet you keep the traditional pip indices through the use of a hand print which adds to the theme, but still helps maintain play ability. usually I would say all pips should match, but this works.

If you are 99% ready then what and when is the next step for us to get a hold of them?
8lack8ear

We are very happy to hear you like our deck, We've been working on it for a while now, and the things you said are exactly what we were aiming for, Thank you. We are currently finding printing quotes, working out shipping options and going over the art and design with a fine tooth comb. the Tuck box is also not final yet and I'm building the Kick-starter page. Please spread the word, we hope to launch soon.
The Red Baron Ace
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by The Red Baron Ace »

NCarter wrote:Must say I am looking forward to seeing this deck live.

Hi NCarter
Yes we have made the required adjustments by reducing the card design to suit the perimeter.

Thank you for your valued feedback and input. We have been on this design since Christmas last. We are both looking forward to releasing this on a global scale. We will keep you all posted

Aran de Baron
Card designer & Director at De Baron Studio
The Red Baron Ace
Cardist: Yes

Unread post by The Red Baron Ace »

ecNate wrote:I'm really cutting back on decks, but if the price and quality are right I think I'll be in on this one. The theme is fun and art well done, plus I like the alternate pip style, yet you keep the traditional pip indices through the use of a hand print which adds to the theme, but still helps maintain play ability. usually I would say all pips should match, but this works.

If you are 99% ready then what and when is the next step for us to get a hold of them?
Hi ecNate

On behalf of Christo and I, we cannot contain ourselves with this unique and prestige deck of cards to share to the world. I have been working on the designs since last Christmas and with the help and guidance of applicable blogs and my business partner, Christo, we have created something awesome ... sorry, a biased comment.
Christo is by no means cutting back on quality. We have consulted with anyone that deals with cards on a professional level. Kickstarter makes it quite clear ... 'if you think they are not ready then they are not ready for the world'. Wll after this length of time ... we are confident that we are ready.
We will keep you posted on the soon release

Many thanks
Aran de Baron
Card designer and Director at De Baron Studio
8lack8ear

We think our tuck box is just about ready, the Bicycle logo is just a place holder and will be replaced by the logo of the company we decide to go with, or with the "Aran De Baron" logo. let us know what you think. Cheers
Attachments
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Wow, I really like the wooden box with metal corners look of the tuck! Hopefully the printer can make sure the artwork and fold lines are perfect so it looks seamless. The emblems on the corners/tuck flaps are a really nice touch as well. The back really fits the theme and feeling of a fun deck, although it's not intricate, it certainly fits the theme and appears to be properly mirrored.

2 concerns though for you to consider
1 - What is the name of the deck? Is it 'Dwarfs'? If so, that NEEDS to be on the front of the tuck.
2 - Related, it's very odd and confusing to have the name of the studio so prominently displayed on the tuck front. It should be secondary after the tuck name and certainly not as the only featured IMAGE. Having a bunch of the characters popping out of the hole, perhaps even fighting or being aggressive would be ideal here. :ugking: Something as simple as picking one of the characters from the court cards or a pair of axes would fit better there.

NOTE - I was under the impression that dwarves was the technically correct plural version, but I see you got it right with dwarfs.
Dwarfs is the standard plural of the noun dwarf. Dwarves is a newer variant popularized (though not invented) by English author J.R.R. Tolkien in his fantasy fiction works, including The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien spelling is appropriate when referring to little people in fantasy worlds. Dwarfs is better everywhere else
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Late to comment but really love the designs, pips in hand print, courts, and 4 non traditional pips on the number cards. Nice bright colors on courts too. What exactly are the Jokers? Are they living and dead creatures of ____? Nice skeleton of the dead one, whatever it was. The back of the card looks a bit crowded to me so it's hard to see detail of the dwarfs.

The wooden and metal tuck box is great, especially the extras on the flaps. But like ecNate said, you need the front to Dwarfs. If you want the studio name you could do "De Baron Studio presents" where BICYCLE is. Or you could put the studio name on the side.

Your hard work shows and willingness to listen appreciated by this eventual backer.
Move on, nothing to see here.
8lack8ear

Just a quick update, struggling to get to grips with the Rendering Software, but here is my first try.
RichK wrote:Late to comment but really love the designs, pips in hand print, courts, and 4 non traditional pips on the number cards. Nice bright colors on courts too. What exactly are the Jokers? Are they living and dead creatures of ____? Nice skeleton of the dead one, whatever it was. The back of the card looks a bit crowded to me so it's hard to see detail of the dwarfs.

The wooden and metal tuck box is great, especially the extras on the flaps. But like ecNate said, you need the front to Dwarfs. If you want the studio name you could do "De Baron Studio presents" where BICYCLE is. Or you could put the studio name on the side.

Your hard work shows and willingness to listen appreciated by this eventual backer.
The Joker is Loki, we're working on our own version of the mythology. (Updates to follow)
Attachments
Front of box2.png
Front of box2.png (368.26 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Back of box.png
Back of box.png (395.85 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Back of box2.png
Back of box2.png (407.3 KiB) Viewed 854 times
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I'd bet you'd sell quadruple if you just changed to standard indicies, pips and number idicators. The artwork is fantastic. The alternate card stuff is just a pain to look at and make the cards unplayable. If you go forward, good luck, but this falls into the artsy project (well done) but not a deck of PLAYING cards.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

2 months ago you were asking for 'last minute feedback', when will this be available?