Dwarfs First time around, early art work.

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Dwarfs First time around, early art work.

Unread post by ecNate »

Wow, I really like the wooden box with metal corners look of the tuck! Hopefully the printer can make sure the artwork and fold lines are perfect so it looks seamless. The emblems on the corners/tuck flaps are a really nice touch as well. The back really fits the theme and feeling of a fun deck, although it's not intricate, it certainly fits the theme and appears to be properly mirrored.

2 concerns though for you to consider
1 - What is the name of the deck? Is it 'Dwarfs'? If so, that NEEDS to be on the front of the tuck.
2 - Related, it's very odd and confusing to have the name of the studio so prominently displayed on the tuck front. It should be secondary after the tuck name and certainly not as the only featured IMAGE. Having a bunch of the characters popping out of the hole, perhaps even fighting or being aggressive would be ideal here. :ugking: Something as simple as picking one of the characters from the court cards or a pair of axes would fit better there.

NOTE - I was under the impression that dwarves was the technically correct plural version, but I see you got it right with dwarfs.
Dwarfs is the standard plural of the noun dwarf. Dwarves is a newer variant popularized (though not invented) by English author J.R.R. Tolkien in his fantasy fiction works, including The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The Tolkien spelling is appropriate when referring to little people in fantasy worlds. Dwarfs is better everywhere else
RichK
Decks Owned: 250

Unread post by RichK »

Late to comment but really love the designs, pips in hand print, courts, and 4 non traditional pips on the number cards. Nice bright colors on courts too. What exactly are the Jokers? Are they living and dead creatures of ____? Nice skeleton of the dead one, whatever it was. The back of the card looks a bit crowded to me so it's hard to see detail of the dwarfs.

The wooden and metal tuck box is great, especially the extras on the flaps. But like ecNate said, you need the front to Dwarfs. If you want the studio name you could do "De Baron Studio presents" where BICYCLE is. Or you could put the studio name on the side.

Your hard work shows and willingness to listen appreciated by this eventual backer.
Move on, nothing to see here.
8lack8ear

Unread post by 8lack8ear »

Just a quick update, struggling to get to grips with the Rendering Software, but here is my first try.
RichK wrote:Late to comment but really love the designs, pips in hand print, courts, and 4 non traditional pips on the number cards. Nice bright colors on courts too. What exactly are the Jokers? Are they living and dead creatures of ____? Nice skeleton of the dead one, whatever it was. The back of the card looks a bit crowded to me so it's hard to see detail of the dwarfs.

The wooden and metal tuck box is great, especially the extras on the flaps. But like ecNate said, you need the front to Dwarfs. If you want the studio name you could do "De Baron Studio presents" where BICYCLE is. Or you could put the studio name on the side.

Your hard work shows and willingness to listen appreciated by this eventual backer.
The Joker is Loki, we're working on our own version of the mythology. (Updates to follow)
Attachments
Front of box2.png
Front of box2.png (368.26 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Back of box.png
Back of box.png (395.85 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Back of box2.png
Back of box2.png (407.3 KiB) Viewed 874 times
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

I'd bet you'd sell quadruple if you just changed to standard indicies, pips and number idicators. The artwork is fantastic. The alternate card stuff is just a pain to look at and make the cards unplayable. If you go forward, good luck, but this falls into the artsy project (well done) but not a deck of PLAYING cards.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

2 months ago you were asking for 'last minute feedback', when will this be available?