What to do?

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
silington

What to do?

Unread post by silington »

Hey guys,

I spent last two days playing around in Illustrator and I came up with an idea(design) for a deck of cards. I made all the cards except the Queens and I doubt that I need a lot of time to finish it.

However, since I've never done this before, I don't really know what the next step is? Where/ How should I print my Deck? Right now I want to have that Deck for my own use only, but I'm still wondering how should I promote the design? Maybe someone else would like to get a deck or two. Anyways; what would be the next step?

Thank you all in advance,

Silington
octave
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: What to do?

Unread post by octave »

I guess the next step would be finishing the design and ask for a little feedback if you like. Show us some of your work please :)
silington

Hey, thank you very much for your response!

I uploaded a pic of the kings I really dont want to spoil anything haha.

Im looking forward to any suggestion/ critique!
Attachments
1450226417_tmp_Triangular.jpg
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

silington wrote:Hey, thank you very much for your response!

I uploaded a pic of the kings I really dont want to spoil anything haha.

Im looking forward to any suggestion/ critique!
To be brutally honest, a deck like this won't fund. They aren't playable as cards. The fonts are hard to read and the artwork is sub par. Can you imagine pulling these out at a poker game? Or playing a card game with them? I can't.

If this is a personal project, go nuts, and print it through makeplayingcards.com. It looks more like "art" than playing cards.
silington

Hey TGunitedcardists,

Thank you for your response, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Let me just explain a bit: The idea of this deck is to be just an ''artwork". Obviously I can't really imagine someone playing a game with this deck. And yes it is a personal project, but when I was wondering how can I know if someone else would like to get a deck or two, just for the purpose of collecting decks, or using it for card tricks, etc?
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

silington wrote:Hey TGunitedcardists,

Thank you for your response, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Let me just explain a bit: The idea of this deck is to be just an ''artwork". Obviously I can't really imagine someone playing a game with this deck. And yes it is a personal project, but when I was wondering how can I know if someone else would like to get a deck or two, just for the purpose of collecting decks, or using it for card tricks, etc?
1. If you can't imagine someone playing a game with the deck, why bother? Why bother adding suit indicators and the traditional card playing stuff? Why not just make artwork and print it without all that?

2. To print the deck, go to http://www.makeplayingcards.com/promoti ... cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and choose what's you want. Since, you don't think they are any good at playing cards, consider making game cards or something.

If you insist on going with playing cards, go with 310gsm (linen) for $12.60.

3.If someone would like a deck (based on what you've posted, unlikely (sorry)) you could just make an order off of MPC and ship to them. You mention for the purpose of collecting, but in the end, after shipping, it's much cheaper to buy something else. For card tricks? People often just use cheap Bicycle decks that you can buy anywhere.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

TGunitedcardists - Well said.

slllngton - Your deck reminds me of this deck. Wow! that sure is one hell of an art deck. Ppl here don't really take the time to respond to art decks. I will cuz I'm stoned. We like to pick apart playable decks. I can't touch yours... makeplayingcards.com is a good resource.
RussellSprouts