Need help on designing faces of custom deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Faizimran

Need help on designing faces of custom deck

Unread post by Faizimran »

So I have a back design made but how do i start making the faces and to be clear I have made the back design on a graphic design software and I want to put the finished design on kickstarter someday do i need any patents or any thing like that? Thanks for your support
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: Need help on designing faces of custom deck

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

I don't think so.

When you are ready to share images you could watermark them to establish them as yours - but even that isn't really necessary - as long as you have some reliable proof the designs are original and yours copyright law should largely protect your design.

(Bearing in mind that I am neither a lawyer nor from the US - I'm sure others will wade in if I'm incorrect!)
Faizimran

Unread post by Faizimran »

thx ?
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Faizimran wrote:So I have a back design made but how do i start making the faces and to be clear I have made the back design on a graphic design software and I want to put the finished design on kickstarter someday do i need any patents or any thing like that? Thanks for your support
Faizimran wrote:thx ?
TL;DR
Design your own from scratch, or use the standard ones of the printer. Or use the out of copyright court cards as reference and create your own.
---------------------------------------------

It would help you make your question more understandable or put in more of an effort to be more specific.

You made art. You can do with it what you want. You don't need any patents.

If you want to make court cards and design them from scratch, go for it. If you want to print them with MPC, you can do that and use their own court cards etc. All you have to do is supply the back design. The chances of this being a successful Kickstarter is slim. You can contact USPCC, EPCC and Legends and I believe you can use their standard court cards and just supply them with a back design. In order to have a successful Kickstarter, you're going to have to do more. That includes designing a tuck.

If you want to go with a completely custom deck, then you have to put in the work. I suggest getting a Riderback deck as reference and creating your own modified version of their court cards. They are out of copyright. It's the jokers you can't copy.
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

This really is one of the more stranger threads...