PlanarenKarten - Planar Art Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
BlueToy

Re: PlanarenKarten - Planar Art Playing Cards

Unread post by BlueToy »

A few more questions:

1) Are those sticker seals important? I mean, do you guys think more buyers would prefer tuckboxes with sticker than without?

2) In terms of timing, would it be better to launch the deck in KS early next year? The timing seems a bit tight if I attempt a launch late this month, what with the upcoming holidays and all.

3) In line with the "start small" approach a couple of posts back, I'm just planning on offering the deck with tuckbox (maybe with the sticker seals). What are good reward tiers? Early bird, one copy, two copies, six copies, and maybe even twelve (would anyone actually pledge for these last two?!!!)? I want to add uncut sheets but doing a separate combo reward for them (like a deck plus a sheet) complicates the reward tiers. Would it be better for these to be offered as add-ons?

AAAND in lack of an image update, here's a downdate or a backdate (my humor, ladies and gentlemen). Attached is one of the earliest versions of the deck, to which I applied the vintage effect. The Moser influence is much more obvious here. I'm not really going to use the design - I just wanted to share how the project looked like in its very early stages.
Attachments
backdate.jpg
backdate.jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller
Collector: Yes

Unread post by shermjack »

OK, so here are my thoughts:

1. Tuckbox seals - though they are nice, they are not a must have...start without one and then you could add them as a stretch goal
2. Timing of launch - I don't think that starting a project would be a problem in regards to the holidays as you will not fulfil until next year anyways...personally, I am quite anxious for you to launch your project and hope it is sooner than later :ugdance:
3. Tiers - 1, 2, 4, 6 & 12 are typical tiers...whether anyone pledges the last two will depend on your final design and printer...if you go with either LPCC or EPCC, I would most likely back for at least 6 decks ;)

Love the old Jack and style, can you show more??! Regardless, very much looking forward to this deck!
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

shermjack wrote:OK, so here are my thoughts:

1. Tuckbox seals - though they are nice, they are not a must have...start without one and then you could add them as a stretch goal
2. Timing of launch - I don't think that starting a project would be a problem in regards to the holidays as you will not fulfil until next year anyways...personally, I am quite anxious for you to launch your project and hope it is sooner than later :ugdance:
3. Tiers - 1, 2, 4, 6 & 12 are typical tiers...whether anyone pledges the last two will depend on your final design and printer...if you go with either LPCC or EPCC, I would most likely back for at least 6 decks ;)

Love the old Jack and style, can you show more??! Regardless, very much looking forward to this deck!
I messed up. The figure's supposed to be a king haha. I think I never got around to doing the other court letters and numbers as I scrapped the design style altogether since it looked too much like the Moser deck.

To be honest, part of me really wants to try out MPC's new 330 gsm stock, and that their prices seem to be more straightforward and stable - it's a scary thing to be quoted costs only to find out that they've changed come funding time. Plus the fact that they so far have had minimal issues regarding delivery date and that there have been delays with recent projects printed by LPCC and Expert... But, well, that's why they're stretch goals anyway. :)

And to go off-topic a bit: GSM in these parts refers to gin - as in the alcoholic beverage. :D
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

I've given it a lot of thought, and I think KS campaigns involve a whole lot of psychology. In my opinion, you would be better off going for the smallest print run with LPCC or EPCC and making a larger print run a stretch goal, instead of starting with MPC and making the better quality a stretch goal. First impressions have a huge effect here, and I think you want have the funding goal match the project. It's bad when crappy, low effort projects have a $20 000 goal, it just looks bad. Likewise, if a quality project has only a $1000 goal, or less, people might not know that it is a quality project, or will somehow associate it with lower value (which doesn't make sense). From what I've seen on KS, any tasteful, quality deck can easily make $5000 in a month. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I think that covers the LPCC print run. A lot of backers will see MPC and judge. My two cents.
-Ben
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

From my observations, no matter how good your design, going with MPC will immediately turn away some collectors and cardists...are they getting better, yes...can they compete evenly with the big 3 on some levels, maybe...will some people be turned off, definitely. I for one am one of those who would reduce my pledge from 6-12 to 1-2 when a non-big 3 printer is used and recently have joined the ranks of those who prefer LPCC and EPCC over USPC
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
BlueToy

Re: PlanarenKarten - Planar Art Playing Cards (wap)

Unread post by BlueToy »

I did some research and exploring in KS, and it seems like most of the LPCC-printed decks have fund goals of $10K at least. A bit high! But, we'll see. I've emailed LPCC and I'm waiting for their reply.

Also, does anyone here have their printing templates, especially their tuckbox's? Thanks.
BlueToy

Re: PlanarenKarten - Planar Art Playing Cards (wap)

Unread post by BlueToy »

AAAND they have replied. Any thoughts on LPCC's Emerald finish?
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I just have to finally chime in here. When I first saw this potential deck all I could see was another 8bit style deck, but with the vintage look and other changes I will be considering picking one up. Looking good, glad to see artists leveraging the community ahead of time to make their deck better.
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

Thanks. The inputs of the folks here really helped me in making changes on the design. And I learned some new stuff too along the way. :D

So... any reviews on LPCC's Emerald finish?
-Ly

blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

Someone on a different thread was saying that they would pledge for twice as many decks if the artist went with LPCC's classic finish over their diamond finish. I don't know about any of the finishes, haven't heard anything about emerald.
-Ben
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

The emerald finish is excellent (it was in their Serpentine deck) but MPC's 330 would also be excellent. People used to poo poo Legends and EPCC. They came around. MPC is now really good, registration is good and the pricing seems the best.

I don't like stretch goals for different printers. Choose one and go for it.