BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck

Unread post by ecNate »

I've cut back and am being much more selective these days, but this STILL remains a solid must have. Looking forward to seeing more, do you have a launch date or range in mind yet?
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

ecNate wrote:I've cut back and am being much more selective these days, but this STILL remains a solid must have. Looking forward to seeing more, do you have a launch date or range in mind yet?
+1 !!
Räpylätassu
White Whale: Black Palekh from 1937
Decks Owned: 700

Unread post by Räpylätassu »

Yep, this is a must have for me aswell. I love the design, I don't think I am waiting for any deck more than this. I really liked Coven, but this deck I love.

CHOO CHOO THIS IS THE HYPE TRAIN!
Left my heart in SIERRA MADRE

"Finding it... that's not the hard part. It's letting go."

"One makes a trip by day, but by night one sets out on a journey." -Moominmamma

I dream of a world where wars are fought only by having dance offs. I also dream that a Finnish playing card designer would exist. The former seems more likely to happend.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a penguin. Have you ever met a sad person with a penguin?

Are lobsters mermaids to scorpions?

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullsh*t, I did not hit her, I did naaaht! Oh hai Mark!"

MY TRADELIST

MY TOP 150 DECKS

MY PORTFOLIO52 PAGE
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

He must be working on a new video.

RussellSprouts
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

52Ravens - can we get an updated list of the names you are using? Curious to see the full list and I also wanted to be sure you got my previously discussed request in there. ;)

sprouts1115 wrote:He must be working on a new video.
He did say that and provided this teaser photo, so yes. As you can see, it won't be as intense as the Coven one you shared, but looks pretty sweet.

52Ravens wrote: Working away on the video, not as hard hitting as the Coven one but still over the top compared to others out there, screenshot preview below.

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/street.jpg
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 34

Unread post by 52Ravens »

Ah the issues of a paginated forum, people only look at the latest page haha!

Almost finished the video, still got the box to do then its on to the Kickstarter page, so still a little way off yet. Not sure of a date but hopefully not any later than April...finger crossed.

Here are the list of vampire names that are from users on this forum

Isabel Marshal
Cecilia Rowan
Valencia Alden
Olivia Keswick
Sally Blok
Beatrice Baker

Thanks as always for the motivation, I'll keep you up to date.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

52Ravens - Got any more cards to show? Let's see them. I not worried about names. It's the long run I'm worried about...
RussellSprouts
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

OPINIONS PLEASE!

I've always had in the back of my mind that this deck is Volume one and I'm close to launching, but I'm in two minds whether to create a black version, volume two, with all new courts, as a stretch goal?

It would be pretty epic to run them at the same time but the artwork would need to be complete before I go live meaning it would be delayed.

What are your thoughts?
montecarlojoe

Re: BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck (wap)

I mean all new courts is a very attractive prospect - but it could also be argued that new corts and reworked/reloloured back is essentially a new deck and could be done justice (better) in it's own project
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

I think why not, work your way along and see how the campaign pans out, you probably dont have to finish the whole set of courts, but do give an example or two for the backers to know what they will be getting !
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks Guys

So thats one vote for volume two to have its own release and one vote for volume two to be a stretch goal with volume one

We need a decider haha
Slavich

Unread post by Slavich »

Ok, I'll be the deciding vote then hehe I vote for separate campaign :) Makes it easier on the wallet and you'll get more exposure for the deck that way
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Assuming the 2nd stretch goal is same price as the original it could work as a single project as a stretch. It's always a problem when you have tiers, especially early bird ones, that include a premium deck. People then tend to drop out of those if it doesn't look like it will make it ore wait until it is to add. Either way it can cause problems. I would agree overall that to do it as a separate project makes more sense though and gives you a chance to make final tweaks after people see the final work from the first one.

Whatever you do, don't come out of the gate with 2 decks and a higher goal. We need a reasonable goal so these get made! :D
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: BLOOD - New 52Ravens Deck (wap)

montecarlojoe wrote:I mean all new courts is a very attractive prospect - but it could also be argued that new corts and reworked/reloloured back is essentially a new deck and could be done justice (better) in it's own project
No new corts. Like montecarlojeo says. Simple is always better. Lets see some more art...
RussellSprouts
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Thanks for all the input guys, I think reading what you all thought has helped me to make up my mind.

But you'll have to wait and see what it is when I launch....

Just kidding! haha. I'll be keeping them separate. Volume two will have a new colour scheme and new courts, along with all new vampire stories to tell, so it should stand on its own. I feel that with the new courts that it will hopefully be stronger than a standard colour change.

I've got two tuck box designs almost ready and will need you all to take a look and let me know what you think

Thanks once again, I'm one step closer
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Tuck box designs to look at below. I'm favouring the second one personally, but let me know your thoughts

The first one seems like it wouldn't do it justice unless it was printed with goal foil. I could set this as a stretch goal, but when it comes to printing, I like to keep it simple. So this is why I'm leaning towards the second one. Plus, with the way that EPCC fold the tucks there will be the white edge of the card its printed on facing forward, so you'll see this against the brown, so it might not look that great.

The design for the first won't be wasted as I'm using it as the covers for the A6 booklet that will be available with this deck. It contains the artwork of the courts with the names and short stories/histories of the vampires. Digital download for all backers and printed for all if the stretch goal is reached.

Anyway, let me know what you think, thanks as always for the input :)

http://www.52ravens.com/forumimages/blood/tucks.jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Definitely the right one is the right one to go with here. It is more expressive, fits the theme well and has greater contrast. It also allows for more details and uses blood red color. The left one looks like an old leather book which would be perfect for a book...oh, what's that? You plan using it for the booklet? Well done Kirk, well done. ;) I'm getting really excited for this one, when may I give you my money?
52Ravens wrote:The design for the first won't be wasted as I'm using it as the covers for the A6 booklet that will be available with this deck. It contains the artwork of the courts with the names and short stories/histories of the vampires. Digital download for all backers and printed for all if the stretch goal is reached.
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

ecNate wrote:Definitely the right one is the right one to go with here. It is more expressive, fits the theme well and has greater contrast. It also allows for more details and uses blood red color. The left one looks like an old leather book which would be perfect for a book...oh, what's that? You plan using it for the booklet? Well done Kirk, well done. ;) I'm getting really excited for this one, when may I give you my money?

+1
The second tuck (right) is a much better choice :drool: ...where do I sent my money? :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Talisman
Decks Owned: 166

Unread post by Talisman »

+1 I agree wholeheartedly
RandyButterfield
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by RandyButterfield »

The second one is perfect for your theme! One special feature you may want to consider is adding a UV Spot Ink overlay on all of the Red areas. It will ensure that your great shading details will stay intact, and it will give the Reds a nice shiny "blood-like" effect.

Also, the per Deck cost of UV Spot Ink is a fraction of the cost of Foil.

Some examples of Tucks with the UV Spot Ink are the Love is Smoke and Draconian Decks.

Thanks, Randy
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

On other suggestion, assuming you go with the right one (which you will, right!), all the text other than 'Blood' is a bit hard to read. Between the smaller text and the lack of contrast, I would see what you can do to enlarge, thicken, darken/lighten as needed.
montecarlojoe

+1 to the 2nd design - but I think the first could work if it were a little more "Blood 'n Bone".

Here's a very quick bit of level adjustment to show what I mean
Untitled.png
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Well, I guess that settles it, the second version is the clear winner here.

Thanks for the input, I'll keep you all updated
montecarlojoe wrote:Blood 'n Bone
Nice colour combo, I prefer it both gold but I think version 2 is the way forward
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Excellent! Didn't get the chance to vote for n.2, but as usual folks at UC never disappoint! Great work!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I've been looking to go live on May 1st with this deck, but is Kickstarter flooded with decks at the moment?
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

52Ravens wrote:I've been looking to go live on May 1st with this deck, but is Kickstarter flooded with decks at the moment?
Personally I don't see any strong reason to wait, there's never a perfect time. I'm sure quite a few people went big on Inception and there's a number of others that are doing fairly well, but if you wait then maybe Jackson's next deck will be started or another major one that you'll be competing against for limited backer budgets. I know I saw a few comments in that regard already, but again I don't think there's ever a perfect time, just obviously bad times if there were recent massive projects and I don't think that's the case now. I also have not heard of any announced upcoming launches with a firm date either.

DISCLAIMER - I'm super excited for this deck though so I may not be totally unbiased. :lol:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/ca ... popularity
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Yeah I know there will never be a perfect time but I count 7 kickstarters currently running that are all funded, I'd hate it if people couldn't back the deck just because they had no budget left after pledging to a few others :cry:

Just got to bite the bullet!
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

52Ravens wrote:I've been looking to go live on May 1st with this deck, but is Kickstarter flooded with decks at the moment?
It seems that KS is ALWAYS flooded with playing card projects these days, but the good ones usually get funded on the first try and sometimes, a project might have to come back a second time, but usually end up doing much better than the first attempt/goal...imho (though biased), your deck is better than good. I agree that you just have to bite the bullet...do give us the heads up before you do as well as hopefully a sneak preview of your project page before you go live :ugdance:
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

shermjack wrote:
It seems that KS is ALWAYS flooded with playing card projects these days, but the good ones usually get funded on the first try and sometimes, a project might have to come back a second time, but usually end up doing much better than the first attempt/goal...imho (though biased), your deck is better than good. I agree that you just have to bite the bullet...do give us the heads up before you do as well as hopefully a sneak preview of your project page before you go live :ugdance:
I think announcing it beforehand and offering up a preview link is something that can affect the outcome of the project as well. Whether it's positive or negative depends on the quality of the project and the pricing; if those are good then announcement+preview will let people see that they want it beforehand and plan ahead in order to afford it, while if it's a lesser quality project and/or with exorbitant pricing people will just stay away rather than check it out on launch day and possibly grab an EB on impulse.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

As always, thank you for the feedback guys. Take a look at the video and let me know what you think :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Q9A-MovbE For some reason the youtube embed isn't working for me but its creating space for it :(