The Slick Deck - WIP

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Olly Swinyard

The Slick Deck - WIP

Unread post by Olly Swinyard »

Hi, this is a deck I've been working on for a while now and just thought I would see what you guys thought.

It's still in early stages but still any feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

Attachments
hearts thin.jpg
spades thin.jpg
diamond thin.jpg
Levent Suberk
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: The Slick Deck - WIP

Unread post by Levent Suberk »

Very good line drawings. :)

I think that King of Hearts is different with its pose (I mean that short sword in its eye).
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

This is what the PeDale should have looked like in first place... It's very payable.
RussellSprouts
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

The drawings are great, but I have some suggestions. I don't like detailed indices, I think these would rock more with a solid fill font and a plain, opaque suit index. Size and placement are good though. I know some people like the suit indicator and index to be the same image, but I think it would be good to keep the detail in the suit indicator and fill the index so it's solid.

The design- I agree with Levent, the line work is great. I think the designs are creepy enough without those pit-of-death eyes. It's just too much for me. What would the eyes look like with just circles to mark the edges of the iris and pupils, no sunburst iris effect?

The drawings are also quite flat. Which you could roll with, don't get me wrong, but having dark and light parts of the image help it to be more pleasing at a glance.

What do the pips look like?
-Ben
Olly Swinyard

Thanks for all your feedback, I really appreciate it!
blejanre wrote:The drawings are great, but I have some suggestions. I don't like detailed indices, I think these would rock more with a solid fill font and a plain, opaque suit index. Size and placement are good though. I know some people like the suit indicator and index to be the same image, but I think it would be good to keep the detail in the suit indicator and fill the index so it's solid.

The design- I agree with Levent, the line work is great. I think the designs are creepy enough without those pit-of-death eyes. It's just too much for me. What would the eyes look like with just circles to mark the edges of the iris and pupils, no sunburst iris effect?

The drawings are also quite flat. Which you could roll with, don't get me wrong, but having dark and light parts of the image help it to be more pleasing at a glance.

What do the pips look like?
I agree with the bold indices, I defiantly think it makes it 'pop' a bit more.

I tried the eyes the way you mentioned and I think it's safe to say it makes it more creepy haha.

I've also added the back design I've been working on so again let me know what you think. The eyes in the corner are so that when people hold the cards it will look like the eye is taking a peek at the card in front of it.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
eyes.jpg
back.jpg
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Scanning over the smaller pics the first thing that hit me was that every court card looks a bit tired - every single one seem to have bags under their eyes lol

At first I didn't really like the line drawing - but the large KOS really shows off how nice the detail is so I really hope that comes through at the scale it will be printed at.
Olly Swinyard

montecarlojoe wrote:Scanning over the smaller pics the first thing that hit me was that every court card looks a bit tired - every single one seem to have bags under their eyes lol

At first I didn't really like the line drawing - but the large KOS really shows off how nice the detail is so I really hope that comes through at the scale it will be printed at.
yeah hopefully the detail will come out more when they are printed. When I print them at home they defiantly look better than they do on screen anyway.

Here is the box template I've been working on. The lid is meant to look like an eye opening when you open it.
Attachments
boxtemplate.jpg