New Deck Idea: TALONS

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
BenMorrisRains

New Deck Idea: TALONS

Unread post by BenMorrisRains »

Hi,

I am working on a new deck design and was wondering if anyone here is into it and or has any constructive criticism.

Few things: I'm not personally into ornate deck designs. My current collection pretty much summarizes this. Some of my favorite designs are NOC's, Wynns, Fultons, Rounders, Rarebits, etc. My favorite cards to use are Virginia Slims.

I worked on a sort of free mason/owl deck a while ago and wasn't really happy with is so I abandoned that back design. I still wanted to go with an owl theme, so this is the back design I have right now.

This is all I have at the moment. There will be custom aces and jokers, but standard courts (some modifications). I am also not too into elaborate court cards (I know many of you are into fully custom decks and they are easier to get funded, i'm more on the magician side of things and don't see the benefit personally). I think the pattern the owls create is super interesting as well as the circles within them, which in turn creates another owl like face if you can see the illusion.

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
TALONS BACK MOCK UP small.jpg
TALONS BACK MOCK UP small.jpg (228.73 KiB) Viewed 540 times
BLUE SEAL PLAYING CARDS, Bikes, Tally's get on i! http://www.modernconjurer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: New Deck Idea: TALONS

Unread post by ecNate »

First, I'm a custom court guy so disappointed you are going semi-standard, but I get it. It took me a long time to see how those were owls on the back, I had to compare to your logo in the image and then realized they were shadow outlines of that owl. To me thy just looked like a design or maybe a bat, but a minor point. I do like the industrial tech look for the owl though and looking forward to seeing the aces, assume it will be featured there as well?

Also, I'm not really a cardist, but I don't see that edge pattern making an awesome fan which is important to some. Unless I'm wrong you may want to modify slightly to account for that.

Question - with the black and white theme I start to wonder if the faces will have a white or black background? I assume white based on the layout (black on white), right?
BenMorrisRains

Unread post by BenMorrisRains »

All good points. I'm honestly not sure yet on the courts as far as style and color. That is something I am going to mess around with today/tonight. And definitely white background on the courts. I am not a fan of black decks at all. Especially for sleight of hand and I always get like a seance type of vibe from black decks.

As far as the back design color, black and white was not the initial color I had chosen. I had a darker red, similar to the V2 studs. I'm still definitely in the beginning stages and wanted to bounce ideas off some folks.

As far as the owl's on the back, I kind of dig a bit of mystery. I find that my eye goes towards the blank spaces first, then registers the rest of the back design. I don't mind if people aren't exactly sure what they are until they take a closer look. Kind of how a grain of sand is just a grain of sand until it is magnified a billion times (that's exact science, haha), and then you see all these crazy shapes.

As far as the edges, that is something I still want to play with for sure. I might just make the spheres cross the borders like the gator backs did. Those created an interesting fan.

Thanks so much!
BLUE SEAL PLAYING CARDS, Bikes, Tally's get on i! http://www.modernconjurer.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Ben - Same here. I was first seeing a bat. Maybe bring out the eyes of the owl. YOu might find a shape that works...
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-08-12 20.34.40.png
RussellSprouts