[LAUNCHED] Limited set of 168 custom playing cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

[LAUNCHED] Limited set of 168 custom playing cards

Unread post by cardlover »

Finally, these cards are on kickstarter
Thank you all for great advice and support!

During the last year I’ve working on my own deck. It's time to say thank you all very much for helpful information and advice! Thank you, UNITED CARDISTS that you are exist! This project started with your support!
Finally, our project on kickstarter
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Re: "4TH, The" Playing Cards. Bicycle LIMITED USPCC Deck

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

FYI I deleted the duplicate topic in the New and Custom forum.

We can always move this topic once out of the draft / design phase.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

montecarlojoe wrote:FYI I deleted the duplicate topic in the New and Custom forum.

We can always move this topic once out of the draft / design phase.
Agree this is better, but you deleted it as I just finished my massive reply. :evil: ;)

Overall I can see you have talent so looking for more from you. Personally this is too much like a photo deck of cards featuring US Presidents, although it's way cooler and much more elegant, and that just doesn't appeal to me as much. I also already have the Fed52 series which is a similar look/style so while I like it I'm not sure I'm as drawn to this for that reason. Please note I'm not saying you copied or stole that idea, but some will say that (that is a very childish response IMHO, it's not that novel of a concept really and is more about execution and who did it first that people are aware of). Pricing will be the factor for me and any details or changes you make before I'll change my mind.

I'm sure you're really cool and a great person, but I'm not interested in being friends with strangers on Facebook. I see I have the option to simply Follow you which I may do, but you really should have a proper Facebook page for your artistic and deck efforts, or at least one for the deck itself if you are positive this will be your only project (just do the former).

You also need PHOTOS, the video was a pretty good Kickstarter trailer like movie, but it really doesn't show any details. That is what is actually needed to get people to buy a deck, the trailer just drives interest. If you are asking for input, well photos are crucial. I did grab 3 screen grabs from the video to start the discussion.

My initial thoughts are back needs work
4th B.JPG
4th B.JPG (43.62 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

It's also obvious you used the X as a placeholder as you figure out the order, so I guess that's fine for now. My only comment is this then moves this into an art deck realm since while you did use common suit indicators and standard colors so it can be used for games, it will be a bit of a challenge for game players to fully accept not having the standard pip structure on the number cards. You'll also lose people because the images are not mirrored, etc. Many will see it as an art deck.
4th C.JPG

In this shot it seems some do have mirrored look though, just testing or is there a reason?
4th A.JPG
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

ecNate wrote: My initial thoughts are back needs work

ecNate, thank you for such detailed reply! I really appreciate your advice!

This video does not show the details of the completed cards, since the video was made much earlier than the cards.

The purpose of the video - to start a talk with our community how to make them better and more valuable.

I absolutely agree with you. There are few similar beautiful decks of cards. You are right, I was inspired exactly by Fed52 series! =)

I will try my best to show that my concept of cards contains portraits comparable with engravings on US dollar notes and VERY SIMILAR to it. Fed52 series is a bit other kind of drawing art.
I'll show it to you a bit later, when we will have our images of current state of the cards.

It's very valuable advice from you about mirroring of the portraits. It's very hard for me to make right choice. As designer I know that symmetry of playing cards is more convenient. But we loose a beautiful details of famous people's portraits and the US history... What should I do? ) Should I run two editions of cards - mirrored edition and edition with big detailed portraits for collectioners and those love US history?

I'll post a current photos with the details of backs and faces of cards as soon as possible.

Thank you very much and looking forward any comments!
During the last year I’ve working on my own deck. It's time to say thank you all very much for helpful information and advice! Thank you, UNITED CARDISTS that you are exist! This project started with your support!
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

So 44 presidents but 52 cards ? Without aces we are still at 48, whats your plan ?
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

volantangel wrote:So 44 presidents but 52 cards ? Without aces we are still at 48, whats your plan ?
I'm going to use my engravings of beautiful ladies as queens, the representatives of all basic US nationalities
montecarlojoe

43. Cleveland served twice in non-consecutive terms.

But there were also 8 presidents of the United States under the Articles of Confederation before Washington.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... ashington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you mean US Nationalities? Surely there's just one? (Weird laws governing American Samoa and the Swains islands notwithstanding)

As a final comment here - being very specific about males represented, but waiving off the women as general representatives of something not well defined (US Nationalities?), who they are isn't important but hey they'll be beautiful - comes across a little chauvinistic.
You'd be better off actually picking historically important women. You've got at least 43 First Ladies to pick from...
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Please advice me the proper place and size for numbers and suits
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

2 & 3 would be more playable for when holding a number of cards in hand, but 3 is most balanced = 3

EDIT - Also, while I really like other elements of this deck:
cardlover wrote:I'm going to use my engravings of beautiful ladies as queens, the representatives of all basic US nationalities

;) Seriously though, don't resort to beer commercial tactics. Choose women that are actually relevant in this context.
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

montecarlojoe wrote: What do you mean US Nationalities? Surely there's just one? (Weird laws governing American Samoa and the Swains islands notwithstanding)
montecarlojoe, the US nation is too complex subject for a discussion). USA like a 'melting pot'. It was formed by former europeans, latino, native, african americans and so on. And I illustrated the typical representatives on the queens
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

ecNate wrote: Choose women that are actually relevant in this context.
It's hard to choose relevant women because there are only 4 queens in the deck ;) Are there any ideas? :roll:
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

cardlover wrote:
ecNate wrote: Choose women that are actually relevant in this context.
It's hard to choose relevant women because there are only 4 queens in the deck ;) Are there any ideas? :roll:

Option 1, pick top 4 first ladies
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/usp ... ladies.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would say pick 4 from Martha Washington, Dolley Madison, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jacqueline Kennedy, Betty Ford

Option 2 which may be better, pick the most important first women in the line of succession, possibly including a few key first ladies if you don't want to go too far down the list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... rent_order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Speaker of the House - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Pelosi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secretary of State - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_Albright" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secretary of State #2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Secretary of State #3 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
United States Attorney General - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Reno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't see what you had planned for AoS or Joker, but the Statue of liberty would be a good option, as would the whitehouse.

Another good stretch goal or 2nd deck would be focused on women in US history only, because there is a HUGE market there just because of it featuring women who will buy just because of that. Doing something potentially offensive in this first deck would cause you problems later though. Just keep that in mind too.
montecarlojoe

cardlover wrote:
montecarlojoe wrote: What do you mean US Nationalities? Surely there's just one? (Weird laws governing American Samoa and the Swains islands notwithstanding)
montecarlojoe, the US nation is too complex subject for a discussion). USA like a 'melting pot'. It was formed by former europeans, latino, native, african americans and so on. And I illustrated the typical representatives on the queens
Yeeeesss - but those are Ethnicities not Nationalities - there is one US Nationality i.e. Citizen of the United States (or in everyday speech "American").

As you say the ethnic makeup of the US (or most countries really) is far too complex to boil down to four. You run a danger of falling into stereotypes. (the last thing you want is to inadvertently appear racist and sexist at the same time!)

Still - if you can show what you have...
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

montecarlojoe - Loved the article you posted. I never knew that.

"John Hancock, most famous for his large signature on the Declaration of Independence, held the position of the president from 1785 to 1786. His life in politics began long before the presidency, and he even helped to fund the American effort during the Revolutionary War. His life in politics continued after his tenure as president under the Articles of Confederation. He was reelected as Governor of Massachusetts—a position he resigned due to health before becoming president—and even ran against George Washington in the first U.S. presidential election under the Constitution. He did not expect to win, but had hoped to finish second so that he could become vice president. Ultimately that post went to John Adams."

It's interesting to note they served only one year under the Articles of Confederation. I don't think much can get done in one year. John Hancock should have drawn a big noose around his name. You have to think they were in treason in the eyes of the British when they signed the Declaration of Independence.

Back to the Cards:

#1 is a no. You want to have as many cards in you hand as possible. I see part of the suit index is in the rank of the card. neat.

#2 is ok. It is traditional in every sense of the word. Normal indices with a suit indicator. I'm glad you started with the ten card. It's the only card that has two symbols for the rank of the card. Usually the "1" and "0" is centered above the suit index, but I won't bitch now. I see what you are trying to do.

#3 is interesting, but a no. It makes me think though. Are you left handed? what if we could make the index advantageous for left handed people. It's 5% of the population, but what the hell. Have you considered laying the "10" and spade on its side together in the top left hand side of the card? Somewhat like you did in the first card. It could be very small. Trying to think outside the box...
RussellSprouts
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Let me show you current example of my cards.
I'm going to start kickstarter campaign soon. I do my best to design something outstanding so get ready for interesting rewards!
jsantafe

Re: "NOT NAMED YET" Playing Cards. Bicycle LIMITED USPCC Dec

Unread post by jsantafe »

Nice art, but I feel the giant number 6 behind the pip is unnecessary and confusing. Good job anyway!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

jsantafe wrote:Nice art, but I feel the giant number 6 behind the pip is unnecessary and confusing. Good job anyway!
I understand you, giant number irritates. My eyesight is not perfect. And I am still working on tricky question: how to make the index clearly visible but not overtaking the portraits. Hard fight between simplicity and usability)
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

But is it really more visible being bigger? It blends with the pip, in the same color... If your eyesight is not perfect it could be a zero, a six or an eight!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

jsantafe wrote:But is it really more visible being bigger?
Good question! No, it is not yet. But I hope it will be visible and attractive after a while. I have some better variants at the moment and I will post it here soon
Levent Suberk
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Levent Suberk »

Very very good work.

Big numbers can be black if you decide to use dark green and red. I think that it is not important anyway.
NCarter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 13

Unread post by NCarter »

I think this one might be a big winner, collectors go mad for the old fashioned woodcut prints.

Would you have a different colour for the hearts and diamonds, the club and spade uses that very pleasing dark viridian, it would be nice to see the hearts and diamonds in that light red.
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Levent Suberk wrote:Very very good work.
Thank you, I am doing my best to make outstanding deck of cards for you!
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

NCarter wrote:I think this one might be a big winner, collectors go mad for the old fashioned woodcut prints.

Would you have a different colour for the hearts and diamonds, the club and spade uses that very pleasing dark viridian, it would be nice to see the hearts and diamonds in that light red.
There are four different colours chosen for suits. Clubs and diamonds will have a bit warmer shade (closer to green and orange accordingly) than spades and hearts. It seems convenient when each suit has its own colour. It was approved by professional bridge player. What do you think about?
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hi, All! Firstly, thank you for each advice and opinion!
We are still here working hard on the deck design
We are wondering what you like, what do you expect from a good deck?
Any opinions are welcomed (e.g. stock / finish quality, important details of design, etc.)
We will bear in mind your opinions in design of our deck of cards.
Thank you in advance!
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Hi =) Designing of the faces was completed. It will be exceptionally convenient for any card games, suitable for magic tricks on stage and close-up and safe for poker playing. Now we are switched to design of the backs of the cards. The current progress will be shown here. As you can see, current versions of the backs looks quite rough and moot (this draft was made several month ago). Now it is a starting point for improvements. The final design of the back will be absolutely symmetrical. Best regards!
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

cabdriver - #4 is the best one for BackOfCard. Everything else is spinning. I do like the heart shaped corner badge on #5. Maybe transfer that to #4.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-11-04 16.23.53.png
RussellSprouts
cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

cardlover
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: [LAUNCHED] Limited set of 168 custom playing cards

sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: [LAUNCHED] Limited set of 168 custom playing cards

Aww. I see the problem now. YOu have the suit indicator on the top left hand side. If you are going to repeat the indices, the Top right would have been better. Why bunch up a lot of information...
RussellSprouts