Looking to network.

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
FootNote

Looking to network.

Unread post by FootNote »

Good Morning,

I am hoping that I can find out some information. I am looking to possibly network with an artist or company. Now, I am realist I don't expect anyone to knock on my door going "oh you have an idea?" That being said, I do have an idea for a set of cards and I would love to know how to network with the people I need to. So please, if you can help me out with the following questions.
  • *As a non-artist with an idea what first steps do I need to make from going from having an idea to having a product?
    *Artists, how often do you get approached about card ideas and how often do you work them?
    *If you rarely collaborate, what normally keeps you from doing it?
    *For those like me, and cant draw, but have created decks, how did you go about it?
Thanks!

-MW
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Looking to network.

Unread post by ecNate »

You'll need to FULLY understand the business side before you go in and be sure you can develop a good business plan and budget. Knowing the graphics and printing side also will help even if you have an artist because effectively you'll be managing them and the process.

Next find an artist that fits your style, here's something I came across when I was considering doing the same - http://www.jimzub.com/how-do-i-find-an-artist/ or http://www.pixelprospector.com/places-t ... s-artists/. I would say this is better than just randomly finding any old artist willing to work with you from here, freelancer.com, etc because you find them based on their art that works with what you like.

Use the boards here and at PCF to work through your design and determine interest.

Also, it's MUCH harder than it used to be to make a deck a success, so be prepared to fail and how you'll handle that.
FootNote

Thanks, What I am really am hoping to do is work with an artist or group that already have a few produced a few decks already.
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

What's your goal? Get your deck printed for yourself? Get your ideas out there for the sake of sharing the art? Make a little cash? Get in the business full time?

This is important because what you do next depends on that. Keep in mind you can self print through MPC and other places with very low volume. There's also a ton of places that will let you submit your ideas and/or artwork and have them create it, but you tend to be restricted for at least a while on selling or making yourself - in exchange you get royalties in some cases, other times a bunch of decks, etc.

We've also had threads here to simply share ideas and develop interest in hopes of an artist and/or producer would take the hint and run with it. That might be an option if you are just at the concept level. Here's one - http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4733
FootNote

ecNate wrote:What's your goal? Get your deck printed for yourself? Get your ideas out there for the sake of sharing the art? Make a little cash? Get in the business full time?

This is important because what you do next depends on that. Keep in mind you can self print through MPC and other places with very low volume. There's also a ton of places that will let you submit your ideas and/or artwork and have them create it, but you tend to be restricted for at least a while on selling or making yourself - in exchange you get royalties in some cases, other times a bunch of decks, etc.

We've also had threads here to simply share ideas and develop interest in hopes of an artist and/or producer would take the hint and run with it. That might be an option if you are just at the concept level. Here's one - http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4733
My Goal, well honestly. I am a Mason. I would love to create a set of three playing decks. I have asked a few brothers and they like the idea so I know there is a market for it if I can find a way to get the word out. Making money is good, damn good, but its really not my main goal, not even my second. Cant say I am interested in Business full time, this is simply something I want to do, if I can that would be amazing, if not, my heart wont break.