PRESS RELEASE: 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Don Boyer
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes

PRESS RELEASE: 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition

Unread post by Don Boyer »

PRESS RELEASE - MONDAY, JUNE 14, 2015

PFC AND EPCC ANNOUNCE THE SECOND ANNUAL PCF DECK DESIGN COMPETITION

NEW YORK - After what was a very successful first effort, PlayingCardForum.com (PCF) and the Expert Playing Card Company (EPCC) have decided to hold their second annual design competition for playing card deck designers. William Kalush, president of EPCC and sponsor of the contest, stated that “the initial contest was very beneficial for all parties involved - the artist, the forum and Expert - so it seemed natural to make it a regular, annual event.” Tom Dawson, owner of PCF and president of the 52 Plus Joker Club (52+J) for playing card collectors, commented that he was in full agreement with Mr. Kalush and was pleased to be hosting the contest on his forum.

Originally known as the “Discourse Deck Design Contest,” the PCF Deck Design Competition will follow the format of the first competition almost exactly. The contest will be organized by PCF’s Chief Operating Officer, Don Boyer, in coordination with Mr. Kalush, Mr. Dawson and 52+J Vice President/PCF Vice President Lee Asher. Entries will be judged by the forum’s general membership by way of election, and the winning design will be produced by EPCC, with the winning artist receiving 432 copies (3 gross, or 36 dozen) decks of their design. Last year’s winning design, the Evil Deck by Giovanni Meroni, is presently on sale and available at the Conjuring Arts Research Center’s online store - go to shop.conjuringarts.com for more details on the Evil Deck.

The contest time table will be as follows:

Tuesday, June 16, 12:00 AM EDT (04:00 UTC): the rules for the 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition will be posted on PCF at http://bit.ly/1FguX3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for advance review.

Wednesday, June 17, 12:00 AM EDT: the competition will begin the design review stage, which will last for four weeks. Designers are encouraged (though not required) to post their designs at PCF’s Design and Development message board for the membership to review and provide comments.

Wednesday, July 15, 12:00 AM EDT: the official entry topic will be opened in PCF’s Playing Card Plethora message board. Designers will have one week in which to post their designs and officially enter the competition.

Wednesday, July 22, 12:00 AM EDT: the entry phase will close and no further entries will be accepted. Shortly thereafter, members will be asked to vote on their favorite design.

Wednesday, July 29, 12:00 AM EDT: the voting stage ends. If one design has received a clear majority (any amount greater than 50%) of the vote, it will be declared the winner of the competition. If there is a plurality, the two most voted-for designs will have a run-off election to last for two days, ending Friday, July 31, 12:00 AM EDT.

All artists and designers are cordially invited to participate in the competition! Remember, the rules will be posted at http://bit.ly/1FguX3Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at midnight.
VP/Dir. of Club Forum/Chair Diamond Awards Cmte., 52 Plus Joker Club - http://52plusjoker.org/
Proprietor, Don Boyer Magic - http://donboyermagic.com/
The Deck Tailor, a division of Don Boyer Magic - Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Sharps - http://www.thedecktailor.com/
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Re: PRESS RELEASE: 2nd Annual PCF Deck Design Competition

Unread post by volantangel »

Sooo whats the time line for the printing of the decks after the winning ? 9 months later ?
Don Boyer

That all depends on the designer and the printer. As I understand it, there were some tweaks to the design that needed to be made, plus Giovanni was very busy with Expert on some other projects he produced/is producing. He's brought EPCC a fair amount of his business, so it doesn't appear that Giovanni is unhappy with how things have worked out. If he was unhappy, he would likely have taken his business elsewhere, don't you think?
VP/Dir. of Club Forum/Chair Diamond Awards Cmte., 52 Plus Joker Club - http://52plusjoker.org/
The Deck Tailor, a division of Don Boyer Magic - Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Sharps - http://www.thedecktailor.com/
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Haha i wonder who talks to Giovanni more, you or me? But thats beside the point, what i want to find out is, what kind of priority does Expert put on these deck? I just hope its the same as the other contracted decks that Expert receives =) Hope you get some entries !
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Does EPCC provide templates that help make sure the artwork will work with their cut/bleed lines (like this)? I couldn't find it on their page.

Any restriction on how many decks to enter into the contest? Since the voting is based on a sample of cards, it's possible somebody could create 2-3 sets of samples to be included in the competition.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

volantangel wrote:Haha i wonder who talks to Giovanni more, you or me? But thats beside the point, what i want to find out is, what kind of priority does Expert put on these deck? I just hope its the same as the other contracted decks that Expert receives =) Hope you get some entries !
I talk to Giovanni every day, and he is a dedicated fan of Expert PCC and Bill did a great job with the Evil deck. It took time, but all good things take time.

Gio is running an awesome Omnia campaign right now that he likely wouldn't have had the opportunity to do without the previous contest.

Don, that being said, we would appreciate it if we see you more than once a year when you have something to sell (or promote)... I don't consider it treasonous to contribute to the conversation on Discourse, and it's all aimed at bettering the hobby we all love.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

ecNate wrote:Does EPCC provide templates that help make sure the artwork will work with their cut/bleed lines (like this)? I couldn't find it on their page.

Any restriction on how many decks to enter into the contest? Since the voting is based on a sample of cards, it's possible somebody could create 2-3 sets of samples to be included in the competition.
Nate, in general you can use the USPCC templates. I thought I had Expert / Legends specific patterns / templates, but I can't find them. Bill should be able to provide them.

Bill@Erdnase.com
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Don Boyer

Mike Ratledge wrote: Don, that being said, we would appreciate it if we see you more than once a year when you have something to sell (or promote)... I don't consider it treasonous to contribute to the conversation on Discourse, and it's all aimed at bettering the hobby we all love.
I don't consider it treasonous to post here. The problem I have is I keep getting logged out. It gets tedious logging back in every few minutes.
Mike Ratledge wrote:
ecNate wrote:Does EPCC provide templates that help make sure the artwork will work with their cut/bleed lines (like this)? I couldn't find it on their page.

Nate, in general you can use the USPCC templates. I thought I had Expert / Legends specific patterns / templates, but I can't find them. Bill should be able to provide them.

Bill@Erdnase.com
Templates AREN'T necessary. In fact, we ask you don't use the template for USPC - it has more cards than EPCC's template and the tuck box template is completely different. Simple graphical representations of what you want the cards and tuck box to look like are sufficient.

You can post as many decks as you want in the Design/Dev board during the pre-entry stage - but you can only actually enter one into the contest. Check out the rules, it's all there.

If anyone did previously check the rules, please be advised that there's been a small addendum. Previously-published decks are eligible ONLY if you never gave out the rights and printed fewer than 50 decks.
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

[off-topic]
volantangel wrote:Haha i wonder who talks to Giovanni more, you or me?..
Mike Ratledge wrote:
volantangel wrote:Haha...
I talk to Giovanni every day...
So, I am the only real friend of Giovanni, because I respect his real life and contact him only in case of necessity, definitely not each day :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/off-topic]
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Collector wrote:[off-topic]
volantangel wrote:Haha i wonder who talks to Giovanni more, you or me?..
Mike Ratledge wrote:
volantangel wrote:Haha...
I talk to Giovanni every day...
So, I am the only real friend of Giovanni, because I respect his real life and contact him only in case of necessity, definitely not each day :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/off-topic]
Heheheh. I don't normally. I am managing his Omnia decks campaign right now. We conspire using Facebook messenger a bit. Methinks he did quite well! With the risk of repeating myself, I am not an artist.
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

Eheh guys, when you need me don't be afraid to ask!

Sorry, I didn't saw this conversation before :D
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;