ACTIVE playing cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Collector: Yes

Re: ACTIVE playing cards

Unread post by Fud »

Howdy all,

I am planning on offering Tshirts with the KS campaign when it launches as a few people have said that some of the designs would look awesome. So I have set up a short Teespring campaign to order a prototype shirt. I am offering you fine folk the opportunity to help me test the prototypes and get a sweet shirt at production cost ($15 ea) These are at-cost so I'm not pocketing anything here, I just thought some might like to get an early deal :) I only have 1 design on offer for the prototype:
front.png
front.png (130.75 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Get it HERE: http://teespring.com/Pipmen_test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The final design might change a bit between now and the KS campaign (might move the EPC logo to the back), but I think they look pretty cool :) I'm planning on offering the Ace of clubs like this and inverted on a black shirt, the Ace of Hearts and the Ace of Spades, both on white. I might also do one of the Jokers. If you would like to see any other one as a tshirt, let me know :) As the minimum order quantity is 3, I will close it when at least 2 other people buy one. It might only be open for a few hours, so if you miss out, don't worry - they will be around again!

And here is another teaser, the A of Hearts (the rank symbol needs to be changed to red I know):
A Hearts.png
Enjoy :)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Hi guys,
I'm tossing up ideas to make the Pipmen more unique, and to try and move away from the inevitable comparisons to Emanuel Jose. To that end I was thinking of changing the clubs to blue and diamonds to orange while keeping the pipmen black - what do you think?
Attachments
Aces test (Large).jpg
BlueToy

Re: ACTIVE playing cards (wap)

Unread post by BlueToy »

I think you have a great idea but shouldn't deviate from red and black. They're part of the deck's appeal. Plus you've already made big changes on the cards, especially the number cards, that adding two more suit colors might make the cards look a bit confusing at first glance.

Comparisons are inevitable - and not just in the playing card world. I think your designs so far have kept their own ground.
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Player: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

BlueToy wrote:I think you have a great idea but shouldn't deviate from red and black. They're part of the deck's appeal. Plus you've already made big changes on the cards, especially the number cards, that adding two more suit colors might make the cards look a bit confusing at first glance.

Comparisons are inevitable - and not just in the playing card world. I think your designs so far have kept their own ground.
I agree with all of the above.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
jaytayo2212
Decks Owned: 36

Unread post by jaytayo2212 »

Maybe a mid-way point is to keep the different color schemes for the aces, but the red and black for the rest of the cards...?
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Fud wrote:Hi guys,
I'm tossing up ideas to make the Pipmen more unique, and to try and move away from the inevitable comparisons to Emanuel Jose. To that end I was thinking of changing the clubs to blue and diamonds to orange while keeping the pipmen black - what do you think?
Don't do it, this makes the deck less usable and less desirable. While Emmanuel is one of my favorite artists/designers and a great guy too, he didn't invent the idea of transformation decks or even semi-transformation, his niche is papercut sourced artwork in a semi-transformation style while limiting the total colors used in the entire deck to red & black. The only reason people may draw that comparison is those less informed whiners who simply point to the most popular current artist in the (semi) transformation space and scream 'copycat'. IGNORE THEM. You are using a more unique concept of tiny pipmen (I should have trademarked that ;) ) interacting with the card content using multiple colors in some cases, but that adheres to the traditional red/black suits in a very old semi-transformation style. There is rarely a true revolutionary original thought, but simply variations and remixes of prior ones.

Side note - I love the new AoD image, along with all the others and the entire deck. Can't wait for this and making virtual space on my wall for the uncut of these! :ugdance:

EDIT - I can see you keeping the AoD large diamond as an alternate color since it fits the artwork and making it red might look like they are collecting blood. Keep the side indicies and indicators the proper colors (red/black) and deviate with the middle colors only if required for the art, but otherwise stick to red/black with just a splash of others if needed.
LouCipherr
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by LouCipherr »

I have to agree with Nate and everyone else. Don't change the concept from your original intent. These cards have captured mine and others imagination since you first started posting examples and I don't think any of us see any reason to deviate from your original path. ;)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

You've got it (all of you)! The color scheme will stay as is, thanks for the speedy and decisive feedback - it's very helpful :)
And Nate, I'll have to send you something for coming up with such a great name :)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Here’s a strategic question – I am thinking of offering 2 decks for this part of the Pipmen project: 1 standard deck and 1 collector’s edition deck. They will have the same faces (maybe different Jokers), but different backs and different boxes; the collectors one with some fancy business.

Is this an idea worth pursuing? Is it even worth offering 2 decks with the same faces? I saw that the Devastation campaign which just finished did this to great effect – thoughts?
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I would recommend starting with one deck and doing a stretch goal for the second. It's better to ensure your deck gets funded then offer the second. Once you get better established you may want to try to find 2 decks from the beginning but I would focus on one to start.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

I guess it depends on what the fancy business will be. Though they're generally nice on a deck, somehow I think golds or metallic would be at odds with the artistic style of this project. You might have to think up other embellishments that would go well with its style (maybe print inside the tuckbox as well? Your earlier back design with the gazillion pipmen in it would look good as an inside-box print pattern).
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

I don't really like when deck-makers slap on an alt back design, make a limited print run and call it special edition. I have a feeling collectors really like it though. Do it for the collectors, but tell them how many special edition decks you're printing.

Also, I feel like special edition artwork is usually "dressed up" and fancy, and more often than not I end up liking the original better. What about for special edition, you simplified things and made a minimalist version. I think that would go well with the pipmen aesthetic. Just spitballin'
-Ben
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Good points all.

I’ll hold off on the second deck for now. The concept I have for that one is pretty cool (I think), but I have an idea in mind where I will still be able to use it so it won’t be lost. Keeping things simple seems like a good go-to for now.

You will definitely be seeing more of it in time though :)
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Howdy All,

I'm finishing up the faces but had a stroke of inspiration for the backs to make them a bit more interesting and add a feature which I haven't been able to find a spot for in the regular deck - the lifecycle of a Pipman.

I have tweaked the back a bit - which do you prefer; the old one of the new one?
Z-Card Back (comparison).png
Almost ready for prototypes :)
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Man, I just love this deck. I much prefer using the pipman life cycle on the right. Pretty cool. I would change to have it go clockwise though.

Once you get the prototypes done I'll gladly take one and review in detail and provide feedback at no charge, what a bargain, huh? Lol
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

like.... this?
Z-Card Back (standard) 2.png
Clockwise is the way to go!

And I think I might have a competition or draw or something on the EPC facebook to give away a few prototypes for *review* - I'll think about it and keep your eyes peeled :)
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

That's a cool idea, but while I was browsing around I stumbled upon this:

blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

Eoghann wrote:That's a cool idea, but while I was browsing around I stumbled upon this:

:/
-Ben
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

And I found an artist called "leremy" with A LOT of similar illustrations. PLEASE tell me you're Leremy.

http://www.shutterstock.com/g/leremy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.54 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

[quote="Eoghann"]And I found an artist called "leremy" with A LOT of similar illustrations. PLEASE tell me you're Leremy.

No, I'm not Leremy, and I am incorporating some of his figures into the Pipman designs. When I first saw them I knew that they would be great to be used in a deck of cards, and so that's what I'm building. I'm not claiming to have created all the figures (though I have done some), but I am using them in interesting and unique designs which will make a cool deck of cards.
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Fud wrote:
Eoghann wrote:And I found an artist called "leremy" with A LOT of similar illustrations. PLEASE tell me you're Leremy.
No, I'm not Leremy, and I am incorporating some of his figures into the Pipman designs. When I first saw them I knew that they would be great to be used in a deck of cards, and so that's what I'm building. I'm not claiming to have created all the figures (though I have done some), but I am using them in interesting and unique designs which will make a cool deck of cards.

I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

You're simply using existing artwork and really using them as a building block to make something more creative, adding in your own versions. This is far different than lifting artwork directly (Vellichor - which I was also OK with since it was public domain) or the worst when somebody claims to have created from scratch when it was later found to be simply copied. You made no claims and I don't think you have to explain yourself, but some will take issue that you didn't announce it for some strange reason. :roll: Your overall card designs are unique and to me that's the important part. I'm still ALL IN!
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

ecNate wrote:I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

You're simply using existing artwork and really using them as a building block to make something more creative, adding in your own versions. This is far different than lifting artwork directly (Vellichor - which I was also OK with since it was public domain) or the worst when somebody claims to have created from scratch when it was later found to be simply copied. You made no claims and I don't think you have to explain yourself, but some will take issue that you didn't announce it for some strange reason. :roll: Your overall card designs are unique and to me that's the important part. I'm still ALL IN!
Thanks Nate - I feel the same way.

And in the spirit of drip feeding spoilers until the launch in January next year (mark your calendars!), does anyone like Tetris?
3 Diamonds 2.png
BTW, I still have a few faces that I am stumped for designs; 7 Diamonds, 10 Diamonds and 8 Spades - these 3 I have gone through several different ideas but nothing seems right - any suggestions?
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Hi Guys,

I feel like I'm second guessing myself here, but I am going to go back to my original card back. The second one seemed too much like a Bicycle Rider back, and the first had a nice simplicity and neatness which was not confusing. I am also going to put some colour into it and have mocked up a few patterns; what are your thoughts on which one looks best? (One of the diagonals is messy - I will neaten it up as I go along).
Z-Gaff-combined (Large).jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

First, it's a simple design and adding the red just makes it distracting and less elegant. I also much prefer your more recent circle of life variation and inserted that below next to your initial and new colored versions for comparison. So what if it uses a similar layout to Rider back, it's not a clone of it and they don't have a patent on rectangle phone with rounded edges (Apple), or in this case mirrored circle based design elements with bordered embellishments. More to the point though, the top one with the circle of life is ACTIVE, the pipmen are doing things and it's more interesting and yes more familiar since it is similar to Rider back. The other one is just a bunch of pipmen, which I think you did a great job with the mirroring, but it's not active and just very simple. It works, but it can be (and was with circle of life back) so much more. I can live with either though, provided you don't use the red/black back and if you can still work in the circle of life on perhaps an additional card or something.

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I like the rider back-esque back much more as well, though I was wondering whether you could fill in some of the white area above the baby and infants (i.e. a mobile hanging above the baby on its back, a baseball cap on the boy, etc.) as it is a little distracting...or would that not work?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

My thought was to make a Poker pair deck: a red edition and a blue edition which would have (among other surprises) an identical red-themed back and a blue-themed back. I also thought that the simple back might be more appealing to a less card-savvy audience. Doing 2 colours in the simple back would have been much easier than pushing colours into the tricky bicycle one which is really a black and white back.

Any thoughts on doing the 2 decks? One of the reasons I want to do it is because I have 2 ideas for tuckboxes, and can't choose between them :( And I had a few other surprises involving dual decks...
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

I have gone back to the drawing board because I could not shake the idea that the rider imitation back was forcing a concept onto a theme that was not suitable for it. I think this fresh revision is a nice compromise between the simplicity of the figures and the activity of the Pipmen. I have included 3 colours because I am hoping to do a White and a Red version as a poker pair, but I tested the regular back with inverted colours and it didn't look too bad so I thought I'd chuck it up to see what you thought.
Z-Card Back (#4 - combined).jpg
I will mess around with the final figures before settling, but it's the concept that I'm going for here. What do you think?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I can't help but feel like the simple spreadsheet of characters is just too simple and limiting on its own. How about putting them in different patterns, like continuing the cirle/spiral in the middle of your latest renditions? I'm sure there are countless other patterns that you can use as well, the current layout is just too monotonous for my taste.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Fud wrote:
ecNate wrote:I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

Thanks Nate - I feel the same way.

And in the spirit of drip feeding spoilers until the launch in January next year (mark your calendars!), does anyone like Tetris?
3 Diamonds 2.png
BTW, I still have a few faces that I am stumped for designs; 7 Diamonds, 10 Diamonds and 8 Spades - these 3 I have gone through several different ideas but nothing seems right - any suggestions?
Your 3oD is fine. You could enlarge it and bring it closer to the cut border. I think Emmanuel's is bit to close to the cut border. Don't worry about his style you have your own style...

Your BackOfCard needs some work. Invert the ppl to where they are the same in a row. simple. Not now it confuses the brain. It didn't matter if they are black or red...
RussellSprouts
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

MagikFingerz wrote:I can't help but feel like the simple spreadsheet of characters is just too simple and limiting on its own. How about putting them in different patterns, like continuing the cirle/spiral in the middle of your latest renditions? I'm sure there are countless other patterns that you can use as well, the current layout is just too monotonous for my taste.
This was exactly what I was going to write.