ACTIVE playing cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: ACTIVE playing cards

Unread post by ecNate »

Fud wrote:
Eoghann wrote:And I found an artist called "leremy" with A LOT of similar illustrations. PLEASE tell me you're Leremy.
No, I'm not Leremy, and I am incorporating some of his figures into the Pipman designs. When I first saw them I knew that they would be great to be used in a deck of cards, and so that's what I'm building. I'm not claiming to have created all the figures (though I have done some), but I am using them in interesting and unique designs which will make a cool deck of cards.

I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

You're simply using existing artwork and really using them as a building block to make something more creative, adding in your own versions. This is far different than lifting artwork directly (Vellichor - which I was also OK with since it was public domain) or the worst when somebody claims to have created from scratch when it was later found to be simply copied. You made no claims and I don't think you have to explain yourself, but some will take issue that you didn't announce it for some strange reason. :roll: Your overall card designs are unique and to me that's the important part. I'm still ALL IN!
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

ecNate wrote:I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

You're simply using existing artwork and really using them as a building block to make something more creative, adding in your own versions. This is far different than lifting artwork directly (Vellichor - which I was also OK with since it was public domain) or the worst when somebody claims to have created from scratch when it was later found to be simply copied. You made no claims and I don't think you have to explain yourself, but some will take issue that you didn't announce it for some strange reason. :roll: Your overall card designs are unique and to me that's the important part. I'm still ALL IN!
Thanks Nate - I feel the same way.

And in the spirit of drip feeding spoilers until the launch in January next year (mark your calendars!), does anyone like Tetris?
3 Diamonds 2.png
BTW, I still have a few faces that I am stumped for designs; 7 Diamonds, 10 Diamonds and 8 Spades - these 3 I have gone through several different ideas but nothing seems right - any suggestions?
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Hi Guys,

I feel like I'm second guessing myself here, but I am going to go back to my original card back. The second one seemed too much like a Bicycle Rider back, and the first had a nice simplicity and neatness which was not confusing. I am also going to put some colour into it and have mocked up a few patterns; what are your thoughts on which one looks best? (One of the diagonals is messy - I will neaten it up as I go along).
Z-Gaff-combined (Large).jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

First, it's a simple design and adding the red just makes it distracting and less elegant. I also much prefer your more recent circle of life variation and inserted that below next to your initial and new colored versions for comparison. So what if it uses a similar layout to Rider back, it's not a clone of it and they don't have a patent on rectangle phone with rounded edges (Apple), or in this case mirrored circle based design elements with bordered embellishments. More to the point though, the top one with the circle of life is ACTIVE, the pipmen are doing things and it's more interesting and yes more familiar since it is similar to Rider back. The other one is just a bunch of pipmen, which I think you did a great job with the mirroring, but it's not active and just very simple. It works, but it can be (and was with circle of life back) so much more. I can live with either though, provided you don't use the red/black back and if you can still work in the circle of life on perhaps an additional card or something.

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I like the rider back-esque back much more as well, though I was wondering whether you could fill in some of the white area above the baby and infants (i.e. a mobile hanging above the baby on its back, a baseball cap on the boy, etc.) as it is a little distracting...or would that not work?
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

My thought was to make a Poker pair deck: a red edition and a blue edition which would have (among other surprises) an identical red-themed back and a blue-themed back. I also thought that the simple back might be more appealing to a less card-savvy audience. Doing 2 colours in the simple back would have been much easier than pushing colours into the tricky bicycle one which is really a black and white back.

Any thoughts on doing the 2 decks? One of the reasons I want to do it is because I have 2 ideas for tuckboxes, and can't choose between them :( And I had a few other surprises involving dual decks...
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

I have gone back to the drawing board because I could not shake the idea that the rider imitation back was forcing a concept onto a theme that was not suitable for it. I think this fresh revision is a nice compromise between the simplicity of the figures and the activity of the Pipmen. I have included 3 colours because I am hoping to do a White and a Red version as a poker pair, but I tested the regular back with inverted colours and it didn't look too bad so I thought I'd chuck it up to see what you thought.
Z-Card Back (#4 - combined).jpg
I will mess around with the final figures before settling, but it's the concept that I'm going for here. What do you think?
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I can't help but feel like the simple spreadsheet of characters is just too simple and limiting on its own. How about putting them in different patterns, like continuing the cirle/spiral in the middle of your latest renditions? I'm sure there are countless other patterns that you can use as well, the current layout is just too monotonous for my taste.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Fud wrote:
ecNate wrote:I for one am TOTALLY fine with that, provided you are using proper rights and/or paying for any use if required. I'm of the mindset that 'everything is a remix', I just want to be sure you don't run into copyright dispute later. Provided you have your bases covered there, I'm good.

Thanks Nate - I feel the same way.

And in the spirit of drip feeding spoilers until the launch in January next year (mark your calendars!), does anyone like Tetris?
3 Diamonds 2.png
BTW, I still have a few faces that I am stumped for designs; 7 Diamonds, 10 Diamonds and 8 Spades - these 3 I have gone through several different ideas but nothing seems right - any suggestions?
Your 3oD is fine. You could enlarge it and bring it closer to the cut border. I think Emmanuel's is bit to close to the cut border. Don't worry about his style you have your own style...

Your BackOfCard needs some work. Invert the ppl to where they are the same in a row. simple. Not now it confuses the brain. It didn't matter if they are black or red...
RussellSprouts
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

MagikFingerz wrote:I can't help but feel like the simple spreadsheet of characters is just too simple and limiting on its own. How about putting them in different patterns, like continuing the cirle/spiral in the middle of your latest renditions? I'm sure there are countless other patterns that you can use as well, the current layout is just too monotonous for my taste.
This was exactly what I was going to write.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

After seeing the man with the ballon who takes up to spaces, I like the spiral effect. I'm torn. I guess make it like the Brady bunch. Have the ppl interact with another cell to tell a story... YOu do have something special going on...

RussellSprouts
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

OK, taking all that advice on board I tried to play around with the patterns of figures to make it more visually interesting, and it didn't work very well. To form shapes require angling the figures which messes things up more than it needs to be. So I moved onto making it more Brady-bunch-esqu; having the figures interract with each other more in their boxes. I think this is a good balance of enough interaction with still some simplicity. Enough going on that you can look at it and find more, but simple enough not to be too distracting. Finally :)
Z-Card Back (#5 - combined) (Large).jpg
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

I'm putting together the campaign page, prototypes are on their way; things are moving :) We are on track for a Mid-January launch date (mark your calendars!)

Here are some more card for you - some hearts this time.
Hearts (2-3) (Large).jpg
Hearts (4-5) (Large).jpg
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fud - If your are wanting to do the invert the cells on the same row that is fine, but make the top left of the card right-side up to suck me in to the spiral. You have to think this is the cell your opponent will see in a hand of cards. It should be right-side up. This looks upside down to me.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-11-04 16.38.14.png
Screenshot 2015-11-04 16.38.14.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Screenshot 2015-11-04 16.38.21.png
Screenshot 2015-11-04 16.38.21.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
RussellSprouts
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

You are right about the backs - the top left should be right-way-up. I've fixed that now.

I also realised I had not given out any Jokers for the Pipmen deck yet... They are some of my favorites - fun, playful and a bit mischevous!

There will be 4 Jokers (that's right - 4); different ones for different decks :) Here are the Black edition Jokers:
Joker (BLACK) (Large).jpg
Still on track for a January 14th launch - mark your callendars!
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Love the Human Cannonball Joker! :ugdance:

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Another few spoilers for you fine folk :)

The campaign page is set up, prototypes are almost in hand, designs almost 100% - all ready to go in January!!!

Here are some 6's and 7's :)
Clubs (6-7) (Large).jpg
Hearts (6-7) (Large).jpg
Spades (6-7) (Large).jpg
ecNate

Unread post by ecNate »

Fantabulus!!! Any chance you can do it sooner than that? I'm really anstsy to get my hands on this one! :ugdance:

The 6oH I maybe don't get, but the grey triangles are distracting and I just don't see what is going on there. Are they shining flashlights or something? If so, perhaps you can try it with a white background and slightly yellow beams shining from them instead? I think that would be more obvious and less distracting.

The 6oS and 7oS are pretty neat, but the pipmen aren't really interacting WITH the pips, instead they are just kind of there. Especially the 6oS which is a bit of an anomaly with the dark background, I wonder if you could make it work some other way or find a different scenario there.. The colors on the 7oS are pretty sweet though and there is some interaction with the birds so it's still good, just not as awesome as some of the others.

I'm pretty sure we've seen the 7oC before, which is quite good. The 6oC makes me smile and the 7oH is brilliant!
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Awesome! Love all the 6s and 7s :drool: except for the 7oS as it is a little distracting with the multiple colors (imo) :oops: ...maybe a few less colors?

Really looking forward to the launch! :ugdance: Any chances of getting a peek at the pledge page before you go live? :ugthink:

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

ecNate wrote:Fantabulus!!! Any chance you can do it sooner than that? I'm really anstsy to get my hands on this one! :ugdance:

The 6oH I maybe don't get, but the grey triangles are distracting and I just don't see what is going on there. Are they shining flashlights or something? If so, perhaps you can try it with a white background and slightly yellow beams shining from them instead? I think that would be more obvious and less distracting.

The 6oS and 7oS are pretty neat, but the pipmen aren't really interacting WITH the pips, instead they are just kind of there. Especially the 6oS which is a bit of an anomaly with the dark background, I wonder if you could make it work some other way or find a different scenario there.. The colors on the 7oS are pretty sweet though and there is some interaction with the birds so it's still good, just not as awesome as some of the others.

I'm pretty sure we've seen the 7oC before, which is quite good. The 6oC makes me smile and the 7oH is brilliant!
Thanks guys! I’m glad you like them :)

I can’t launch sooner as I’m heading to the US for a holiday over Christmas in a few days. It’s all ready to go though – just waiting on the protos to finish the project video, and maybe a few tweaks to some of the designs.

I can also see how the 6oH can be distracting. I guess I’ve been looking at it for so long that I see the flashlights, but to the first look it is a bit dark. I’ll try with some different colours or intensities.

It’s really interesting for me to see how people react to different designs – for instance Nate likes the colours in the birds, but Shermjack doesn’t. I have a farming one which I don’t really like but my wife loves. I guess it’s all about the balance… I’ll keep the 6oS as some others really like it, but if another idea comes to mind that will be the first to be swapped out.

And yes, you’ve seen some of them before. The 7oC has been a bit updated, but I’m starting to go through the pairs of cards now for previews, and some of them are just ones that I’ve shown already. I’ll put up a link to the project page around new years as all the designs are on there (all faces, backs, boxes, Jokers, and bonuses), and I don’t want to spoil the spoilers. Though here is the main project picture for a bit of flavor:
photo-original.jpg
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Fud wrote: It’s really interesting for me to see how people react to different designs – for instance Nate likes the colours in the birds, but Shermjack doesn’t.
photo-original.jpg

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of colours in the birds, but the colours that you choose (imo) didn't fit in with the rest of the colours in the cards you have shown and thus the rest of the deck. I do agree that everyone has different tastes and you can't please them all, but so far, I am very pleased with this deck and like Nate, can't wait for the launch :ugdance:

BTW, will you have prototypes available for us common folk? :ugthink:

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

shermjack wrote:
Fud wrote: It’s really interesting for me to see how people react to different designs – for instance Nate likes the colours in the birds, but Shermjack doesn’t.
photo-original.jpg

Oh, don't get me wrong, I do like the idea of colours in the birds, but the colours that you choose (imo) didn't fit in with the rest of the colours in the cards you have shown and thus the rest of the deck. I do agree that everyone has different tastes and you can't please them all, but so far, I am very pleased with this deck and like Nate, can't wait for the launch :ugdance:

BTW, will you have prototypes available for us common folk? :ugthink:

Ah, I see I see. The colour scheme for the birds are from some of the most colourful ones in my area (Sydney, Australia). There is a magpie, 2 types of rosellas, a galah, a Pidgeon, and some other ones I think. The overall color scheme has moved to more eclectic over the last few weeks so there is less of a unified appearance, but I think that’s part of the fun of it – individual and unique! If it’s harmony you are after though, just wait until next year. That’s all I’ll say now ;)

And prototypes? Not this time, sorry. They would be the same as the final decks but with some cards missing and unrealistically expensive for the low MPC print run. It won’t be like the Prism project where the prototypes were a different gloss ink to the final product. Though I will be releasing several images after the project to use on whatever you want. I’m also thinking about offering a nice notepad or coffee mug with a design or 2 on them if some other stretch goals dry up – is that worth investigating?
shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Fud wrote:
shermjack wrote:
Fud wrote: Ah, I see I see. The colour scheme for the birds are from some of the most colourful ones in my area (Sydney, Australia). There is a magpie, 2 types of rosellas, a galah, a Pidgeon, and some other ones I think. The overall color scheme has moved to more eclectic over the last few weeks so there is less of a unified appearance, but I think that’s part of the fun of it – individual and unique! If it’s harmony you are after though, just wait until next year. That’s all I’ll say now ;)

And prototypes? Not this time, sorry. They would be the same as the final decks but with some cards missing and unrealistically expensive for the low MPC print run. It won’t be like the Prism project where the prototypes were a different gloss ink to the final product. Though I will be releasing several images after the project to use on whatever you want. I’m also thinking about offering a nice notepad or coffee mug with a design or 2 on them if some other stretch goals dry up – is that worth investigating?
And I now see the reason for the variety of colours in the birds...also the statement of moving away from a unified appearance makes more sense too, especially with the release of the latest 6 & 7s. Anyways, I will be impatiently waiting for next year now. As for prototypes, no worries, the collector in me asking :D . At a minimum, I hope you plan on offering uncuts...normally I am not an uncut person, though I do have a few, I would really want one of this deck! As for other stuff, I personally wouldn't get anything else other than the deck (and uncut), so can't comment on that.

Do you know what printer you will be going with to make these decks?

Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

Uncuts will definitely be available! I have made it into a cool setout so the double sided courts frame the regular faces nicely, and the ‘full color’ designs are scattered throughout so it doesn’t look uneven. I’m looking forward to having it on my wall :) And I’ll be using LPCC – they have been excellent to deal with during the Prism campaign and their quality has always been superb
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Even if in the dark, I am also eager to get my hands on this deck. Just, please, think of international backers when you set the shipping costs up.
Thanks and great work!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
Fud
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Fud »

jsantafe wrote:Even if in the dark, I am also eager to get my hands on this deck. Just, please, think of international backers when you set the shipping costs up.
Thanks and great work!
I'm trying to minimize all the costs. I honestly don't know how some projects get away with crazy shipping costs, particularly when we know how they are shipping...

Current (and 99% final) shipping costs will be ~$3 US, $5 international for a deck; fulfillment and shipping through Gamblers.
jsantafe

Unread post by jsantafe »

Sounds good!
JS

Every deck I open makes your sealed one more valuable. You're welcome.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Fud - I like that you have a red and black joker. You can be more aggressive with your borders. The seven could match up to your cloud, but of course you would have to change all your indices. I sEe what your doing with the the 6oH. It's fine. YOu need cards to stand out.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-11-24 19.05.24.png
Screenshot 2015-11-24 19.05.24.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
RussellSprouts