Black Widow Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Black Widow Deck

Unread post by Jamm Pakd Cards »

Hey Everyone! Here is another project I am working on with my designer. Everything is hand drawn as usual. I wanted to post a couple different options of the back of the card we are working on. Please let me know which one you like the best. The box is a work in progress. We are going to work on the lettering Widow some more. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attachments
widow_card_1.jpg
widow_card_2.jpg
widow_card_3.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Now Live

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Website: http://www.jammpakdcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kickstarter: Wild West Decks Now Live
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Re: Black Widow Deck

Tuck Box!
Attachments
widow_box_1.jpg
widow_box_1.jpg (158.82 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Website: http://www.jammpakdcards.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yashi
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by Yashi »

It has to be two-way so definitely not the first. The third looks pretty "trippy", so I'm going with the second. I'm not completely sold on the design though. I don't really know what it needs so I'll wait for others to chime in.
The tuck box looks alright but the back seems rather empty.

On second thought, maybe you could make the pattern on the spider's butt more imperfect. I'm not a spider expert but I doubt the pattern on the black widow's butt is that perfect. To me it looks like two triangles drawn out with the click and drag shape tool. And for some reason, seeing two perfect triangles is making me feel kind of annoyed. :ugthink:
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I really like the third design myself except for where the flies butts touch. Maybe thin that down b/c that wide oval shape is killing it.

I also have to agree with Yashi, the triangles are too much of a solid pattern. I'd say, round it off a little or instead of a solid shape, make the triangles out of hundreds of tiny hairs. Making it look more realistic will add so much to it, IMHO.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Love what I see so far. But the hourglass is actually under the female spider, not on its back. The male has spots or lines. But I guess you can take some artistic liberties. Just preparing you before other nerds decide to chime in. :ugeek: :ugking:

I like the first option but that's pretty much swimming upstream. :lol:
Third option is definitely a winner but as Kimble suggested, separate the conjoined flies.

Very interested to see what your approach to the court cards will be.
flashcards
Cardist: Yes
Decks Owned: 600

Unread post by flashcards »

I'm probably in the minority here but seeing the fly about to be devoured makes me sad. I must be flashing back to the original version of "The Fly" ("Help me! Help meeee!") Maybe do without the fly altogether?
Frimann79
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 200

Unread post by Frimann79 »

Definitely like the first one the most. And I wouldn't mind a one-way deck once in a while :-)
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eoghann wrote:Love what I see so far. But the hourglass is actually under the female spider, not on its back. The male has spots or lines. But I guess you can take some artistic liberties. Just preparing you before other nerds decide to chime in. :ugeek: :ugking:

I like the first option but that's pretty much swimming upstream. :lol:
Third option is definitely a winner but as Kimble suggested, separate the conjoined flies.

Very interested to see what your approach to the court cards will be.

Thanks for all the feedback, as usual it is helpful. Glad people like it so far. Yes we are being more stylized not actual on this design. So the triangles looked more menacing with the sharp edges and we are taking artistic liberties with the hour glass - is it on the front or back, up to interpretation.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Frimann79 wrote:Definitely like the first one the most. And I wouldn't mind a one-way deck once in a while :-)

Glad you like the first one! That is one of my favorites as well. I am not sure how the majority of the card community will like the one way design. Tough choice :)
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

I'd like to see a back design with 4 spiders as well, just for comparison. I think 4 spiders as corner elements (like the Tally Ho Fan Back) would look good.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

MagikFingerz wrote:I'd like to see a back design with 4 spiders as well, just for comparison. I think 4 spiders as corner elements (like the Tally Ho Fan Back) would look good.
Might be interesting.
Collector

Unread post by Collector »

Sorry for this little vandalism.

Attachments
widow_card_3a.jpg
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

[quote="Collector"]Sorry for this little vandalism.

No problem on the "vandalism". Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, we have been toying around with some of the suggestions. We do want to keep the hour glass one of the focuses on the cards because I am thinking of actually putting foil on the card, red foil for the hour glass, not sure if this will be a stretch goal or one of the specs of the cards.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

The Ace of Spades turned out great! Here is the Ace of Spades for the Black Deck.
Attachments
Black-Widow-Ace---Black.jpg
Black-Widow-Ace---Black.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Ace of Spades looks good, but we all want to see the back of card. The hour glass is an issue. The hour glass is under the spider right? It looks like your black widow spider is battling a fly that is up side down. That fly is going to die.
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-04-04 19.18.47.png
Screenshot 2015-04-04 19.18.47.png (281.73 KiB) Viewed 2453 times
RussellSprouts
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

sprouts1115 wrote:Ace of Spades looks good, but we all want to see the back of card. The hour glass is an issue. The hour glass is under the spider right? It looks like your black widow spider is battling a fly that is up side down. That fly is going to die.
Yes we are being more stylized not actual on this design. So the triangles looked more menacing with the sharp edges and we are taking artistic liberties with the hour glass - is it on the front or back, up to interpretation.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

If you're going with the one-way back posted earlier than the Ace of Spades would be disappointing since it would seem like a copy+paste job.
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Yashi wrote:If you're going with the one-way back posted earlier than the Ace of Spades would be disappointing since it would seem like a copy+paste job.
Yes, I decided not to do the one way back, I really liked how the one way back looked so the ace of spades was inspired by the one way back concept. I really like how the ace of spades turned out.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

With this deck we have custom hand drawn court cards but I wanted them have a "standard" court card feel. We are adding the web in our custom court cards to add the spider flare to it.

Black Widow Deck coming soon to kickstarter.
Attachments
King of Hearts BW.JPG
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Travis Carter
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Travis Carter »

I really love that King of Hearts.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Now that's lovely. Now im starting to think, perhaps the theme doesn't need to be black widow and the back design can be better. Keep it up and ill definitely be in.
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Travis Carter wrote:I really love that King of Hearts.
Thank you!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Fyodor Krasniy
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Fyodor Krasniy »

The impact of the spider and the fly could be a bit more dramatic on the tuck box / backing.
Perhaps by lightening / bringing out the greys a bit more so they don't get lost amidst the details.
That spider, the red and the black, are such strong elements, it would be a shame to not have utilised the most of that tension between the predator and prey. Considering the nature of spider cannibalism, you can really go places with the ideals and symbolism just from that concept as well.
For instance, the Queen of Spades, in Russian literature has some pretty nice dark connotations which if you are reworking the deck to that lovely spider theme, the Queens could really benefit from a darker approach.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Queen_of_Spades_(story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Coming soon to Kickstarter! Look for in mid June - Red and Black Deck
Attachments
widow_kickstarter_video_black_Q_J_low_res.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Red and Black Deck coming soon to kickstarter - look for in mid June
Attachments
widow_kickstarter_video_boxes_low-res.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

shermjack
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Unread post by shermjack »

I really like the courts that you have shown so far...can you provide a clear shot of the back of the tuck box as well? Look forward to the launch and seeing all the other cards! :D
A deck a day helps keep the addiction at bay!

Check out my collection on Instagram @caratcasecreations
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

shermjack wrote:I really like the courts that you have shown so far...can you provide a clear shot of the back of the tuck box as well? Look forward to the launch and seeing all the other cards! :D
Thank you very much, glad you like them. The tuck box is laid out flat in the post at the beginning of this post.
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Woah very nice work on the courts! I especially like the black tuck. :)
Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eoghann wrote:Woah very nice work on the courts! I especially like the black tuck. :)
Thanks Eoghann! Glad people are liking the court cards!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards

Jamm Pakd Cards
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Hey Everyone! I am launching the Black Widow Deck on Kickstarter at 11:30am AZ Time/2:30 eastern tomorrow June 17th . Pledge early so you can take advantage of the early birds. The playing card case early bird is a big saving with the decks included. here is a pic of the case. Thanks for all of the support!
Attachments
widow_kickstarter_image_cigar_low-res.jpg
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards