Digital Mapping-inspired Deck [CARTOGRAPHICA]

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ivanrogov

Digital Mapping-inspired Deck [CARTOGRAPHICA]

Unread post by ivanrogov »

All,

I recently started designing decks. First one stalled due to licensing. So here is my first design without those restrictions. Inspiratio comes from my job and some other graphic design projects I've done. Pips and general layout are done, but haven't complete any one suit yet. Probably some minor issues, but I can touch those up. Courts are still pending and will feature work from my other major project. Back design is also still in works.
Attachments
mockup_112614.png
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Player: Yes

Re: Digital Mapping-inspired Deck

Unread post by StanKindLee »

Interesting concept. I would eliminate the binary (ones and zeros) at the top and bottoms of the cards. Maybe drop the digital and just go with a world mapping theme. What are you going to do for court cards?
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ivanrogov

Re: Digital Mapping-inspired Deck

The digital part comes from my work managing geographic information system ('digital mapping') data and a logo I designed for others I work with called "data monkey." This theme will be reflected in the courts (JoS example attached).

I also worked out a possible AoS layout as well.
Attachments
JoS_mockup.png
dm_cards_AoS.png
ivanrogov

Re: Digital Mapping-inspired Deck [CARTOGRAPHICA]

First, I've named the project now - Cartographica. Second, I've made alterations to the pips, indices and the binary. I've also drafted a back and started working on the tuck case.
Attachments
mockup_112814.png
Cartographica_tuckcase.png
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@ivanrogov - You placement of the indices is good. Pips usually don't have a border, but the courts cards do.
Screenshot 2014-12-02 18.18.19.png
Screenshot 2014-12-02 18.18.19.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Custom pips are good. Most of the time they also reflect them on the larger pips.

Screenshot 2014-12-02 18.20.24.png
Screenshot 2014-12-02 18.20.24.png (13.8 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
I trying to understand your theme. Maps of the world. That's a hard sell. It seems kind of boring...
RussellSprouts
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Actually, some of the most beautiful graphics I have ever seen are the maps of the ocean floor which were included in National Geographic magazines. Beautiful and fascinating to see underwater mountain peaks and valley depths, some of which have still not been seen with the human eye, only sounded. We still don't know all of what lives down there.

ivanrogov, you could perhaps make a deck that is half above water and half below, changing the colour between the earth and the sea (though it is all one surface).
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

dazzleguts wrote:Actually, some of the most beautiful graphics I have ever seen are the maps of the ocean floor which were included in National Geographic magazines. Beautiful and fascinating to see underwater mountain peaks and valley depths, some of which have still not been seen with the human eye, only sounded. We still don't know all of what lives down there.

ivanrogov, you could perhaps make a deck that is half above water and half below, changing the colour between the earth and the sea (though it is all one surface).
Damn dazzleguts are you smoking the same stuff I am? I like that idea. So, I'm guessing above ground hearts and diamonds and ocean floor map clubs and spades? Basically, to fix the back of card he just has to have one Antartica. So He has a center and 2 mirror elements. Seems simple. Red? I don't know....
RussellSprouts
ivanrogov

Here's a go at using the ocean floor for the spades. I might be able to do something similar for the reds using terrain.
Attachments
cartographica_var_120314.png
dazzleguts
White Whale: Das Kartenspiel Des Oberdeutsc
Decks Owned: 885

Unread post by dazzleguts »

Cool Ivan, I can see actual formations in there. They are very fine though, will they print well?

The red pips might work better if the land masses were given a faint sepia or rust colour, while the ocean floor could be a faint blue or teal. Would jazz the deck up a bit too. Is your cartography work all done in black and white?

Sprouts, you and I often think alike, I just don't voice my thoughts as much as you do ;)
I understand what you want to happen with the back, but I can see why he used 2 Antarcticas - to fill the space better and make it a simple 2-way back. How would you mirror Antarctica and still have it look the right shape?

I do keep wanting to move the major land masses further towards the ends of the card backs, to better fill the space. Also, those corners on the back are very plain and wouldn't look good in a fan, or held in the hand during a game. Perhaps some small embellishment there?
Worldwide Time Machine

"Cards from far off lands and bygone days!"
ivanrogov

Did some color for the black cards. Still working out the red cards, which will show land terrain.
Attachments
cartographica_var_120814.png
TGunitedcardists

Unread post by TGunitedcardists »

Everything looked better with borders on the number cards and solid pip colors.
ivanrogov

Here's a variation with solid pips and border.
Attachments
cartographica_var_011115.png