advice please...

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Leneric_Quiro

advice please...

Unread post by Leneric_Quiro »

I am designing a deck, to hopefully be printed by EPCC and funded on Kickstarter. My design are nearing completion, and I am startiung to think about the admin/business behind making it a reality. I am looking for all advice I acn get on this subject pleae, but my main concerns are: I know absolutley nothing about kickstarter (please lots of info here), and my tuck box design is very unuasual (as in, it is a different design of box, not just the graphics are different) will this be ok with EPCC? should I find someone else? etc., what is a good number of decks to have printed and how much should I charge in KS pledges?, what about other deck-related rewards such as uncut sheets and special edition boxes (this an idea very specific to the deck, it does make sense to make THIS deck with special edition boxes)?

Thanks in advance, I really value any input into this (wether you answer the questions or not) and I hope to post about my KS campaign up and running soon!
Leneric_Quiro

Re: advice please...

Unread post by Leneric_Quiro »

Also, is there any way to make profit out of this (to buy yet more cards) or does it have to bee a break even thing because I am using KS?
cosmicsecret
Cardist: Yes
Collector: Yes
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 140

Unread post by cosmicsecret »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You are asking a lot. Knowing nothing about kickstarter and how to run a campaign/project - dig yourself throgh the infos out there.
It´s not rocket science. It´s all in the Kickstarter FAQ Pages.
How to calculate the specific pledges is your job - get in contact with EPCC and talk with them what you want to do with your design.
They are your #1 source in terms of printing cost (1000 decks minimum order) and whats possible and whats not for your tuck case.
Sher
Collector: Yes
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Hi, would it be possible to see a preview of your design? :)

Based on your first post, it doesn't seem like you've contacted EPCC yet. I highly suggest you contact them and explain your design and request a quote. The minimum number of decks you can order is 1,000, so you will have to order *at least* this many decks. Also, think about whether you will be mailing out the reward packages yourself, or using a fulfillment company. I suggest you use a fulfillment company, as it can take a huge chunk of time (that you may not have) to fulfill rewards.

The price you charge per deck should always be based on the costs of production and fulfillment plus a small buffer to be safe. It is not a number which we can provide for you, since every project is different. Based on other campaigns, there is a price range that backers expect them to be (typically $10-$13) but I cannot emphasize enough that the prices per tier must be calculated based on your costs, to ensure you actually don't lose money in the process.

Uncut sheets and special edition boxes are the least of your worries right now. I think you need to do a lot of research first on how to properly construct and manage a KS campaign, more than asking this forum for help. It is not because we are not knowledgeable or unwilling to help. There are many individuals here who are more than capable of giving you sound advice. However, you will really need to do prior research by contacting those companies you are interested in for all of this to make sense.