Chroma Playing Cards - My First Deck - Looking for advice!

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
aliahmad955

Chroma Playing Cards - My First Deck - Looking for advice!

Unread post by aliahmad955 »

Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks I have been working on a set of custom Bicycle playing cards which I will hopefully launch on Kickstarter within a number of weeks.

My main inspiration were the Ornate Playing Cards by Randy Butterfield, however my cards have a much more modern and minimilist aesthetic, but similar to the Ornates there will be (hopefully) four decks (blue, red, green and yellow). The blue and red decks will feature the same cards but different backs and tuck cases, and the green and yellow decks will also feature the same cards but different backs and tuck cases.

Any and all advice and/or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated, whether on my artwork or advice on Kickstarter projects or working with the USPCC or the HOPC, who I have been considering working with on this project, not only for the success they brought to the Ornate Playing Cards but also the fact that working with them would increase the likelihood of the cards being produced. I also live in the UK, and i'm going back to college in a few weeks so it would be far easier for me if I didn't have to worry about shipping the cards (which the HOPC will organise for me, if I decided to work with them).

I haven't quite finished the yellow/green decks yet, plus I am still finishing the tucks so I will probably post images of them later. I would also like some advice for what to do for the Jokers (which I haven't started), particularly the colour scheme and whether I should make them different for the red/blue and green/yellow decks.

One last thing, i'm new to the forums but in the previews all of my images look very blurred, whether or not that will be the case once i have posted this, I am not sure, however, if that is the case please try to open the images in the browser where they shouldn't be blurred before commenting (many of the cards feature a polygon pattern which may not show up).

Thanks!
Attachments
Chroma-Playing-Cards---Blue+Red-Deck---Aces.jpg
Chroma-Playing-Cards---Red-Deck---3D-+-5H.jpg
Chroma-Playing-Cards---Red-Deck---3D-+-5H.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 580 times
Chroma-Playing-Cards---B+R-Deck---Spades.jpg
Chroma-Playing-Cards---B+R-Deck---Hearts.jpg
aliahmad955

Re: Chroma Playing Cards - My First Deck - Looking for advic

Sorry for the long post above ^^^
Here are some more photos to look at
Attachments
Chroma-Playing-Cards---B+R-Deck---Clubs.jpg
Chroma-Playing-Cards---B+R-Deck---Diamonds.jpg
Chroma---Backs.jpg
PRM19XX
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by PRM19XX »

The colors look great. Not enough people use bright colors I think. I'm not a fan of one way backs but yours kind of works. I think the cards need a little something more but I don't know what. Maybe someone else here can help?
montecarlojoe
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Minimal decks aren't eveyone's bag so you might not get a massively positive response.

Personally I feel like I've seen this before - not any way implying copying you understand - but there are only so many ways to draw a minimialist crown to denote your court cards, and only so many ways to design minimalis pips (i.e. essentaiily standard pips).

The pattern you do use is reminiscent of thei diamond cut decks, which had a mixed reception themselves (and several false starts). Though you are using it in a more sublte way.

One big issue is that the backs are one way - that is if you reverse a card in the deck it is very noticable. It's generally preferable that a card back looks the same whichever way around you hold it. (More functional for magic for instance and generally looks tidier in a shuffle or fan)
aliahmad955

Good advice, I think I will change the backs so that they are symmetrical. I understand what your saying about the whole minimalist thing getting a little tired, but I want to try it at least once myself to see how well it is received.