The Lumberjacks - 2nd edition

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: The Lumberjacks - 2nd edition

Unread post by Kleetz »

That's it, I've had enough!! :uggrin:

From the beginning, the general consensus was that the hair on the courts was weird. Looked like bananas, intestines, snakes, etc. I wouldn't disagree with any of those. It's true.

Your comments didn't fall on deaf ears. I looked around online at how hair is done, went back and made some changes. Here's a new direction, I hope you guys like it.

I'll be modifying all of them in the next few days.
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Unread post by Eoghann »

Kleetz wrote:
Yashi wrote:Kinda strange how the AoC is a tree while the AoD and AoH aren't. Still looks good though.
So the concept there is because the AoS and AoC have stems, they are trees. The AoH and AoD don't have stems, so they are piles of leaves (from trees that have been cut).
Just tell them it's a bird's eye view of the tree. Just gotta like, think outside the box, man! :lol:

Kleetz wrote: Your comments didn't fall on deaf ears. I looked around online at how hair is done, went back and made some changes. Here's a new direction, I hope you guys like it.
Now I feel like a jerk for saying that. But I have to admit I like the new hair style. If you think that's the way to go then by all means. :)
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Eoghann wrote: Now I feel like a jerk for saying that. But I have to admit I like the new hair style. If you think that's the way to go then by all means. :)
Don't feel like a jerk! Comments / critique help mold a better... everything! I think it looks much better with the new hair.

So thanks guys!
pcggamer

Unread post by pcggamer »

The hair looks great. Love the new direction. The whole image has a better vibe to it. Earlier it was kinda like they all had blonde dreads. Keep up the great work
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Kleetz - Love the hair and boobs. I think every deck needs a boob card. :lol:

What weird is I'm looking at your deck differently in a whole new light besides the boobs. It seems your rank of card is a bit to big compared to your suit in your indices and you need to move it closer to the cut border. You are way off. The goal is to get as many cards in a person's hand with the squeezers. http://www.wopc.co.uk/usa/nyccc/index.html

Lets see that back of card. Would love to take a crack at it. YOu got tough skin Kleetz.
RussellSprouts
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

sprouts1115 wrote:@Kleetz - Love the hair and boobs. I think every deck needs a boob card. :lol:

What weird is I'm looking at your deck differently in a whole new light besides the boobs. It seems your rank of card is a bit to big compared to your suit in your indices and you need to move it closer to the cut border. You are way off. The goal is to get as many cards in a person's hand with the squeezers. http://www.wopc.co.uk/usa/nyccc/index.html

Lets see that back of card. Would love to take a crack at it. YOu got tough skin Kleetz.
Got to have tough skin! Sorry for the picture less update but I've been a little busy at work with another project. I have a few more hairdos to modify and then I will post before and afters.
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Back to the top!

I've finished all the new hair updates and I made edits to the "wood grain" so they match on each card. Here are all the new cards:

Spades:

Hearts:

Clubs (toned the queens hair a lot, it was a bit big):

Diamonds (note the queens completely new hair):

More below!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Here's the back design:

Kinda paying homage to the previous design with the tree and leaves, but with a twist. As you can see the ax is growing out of the tree and the caption on top reads "From the forrest itself comes the handle for the ax." Basically saying that the tree provides the tool that it used to kill it.

Love to hear what you guys think! I've also finished both Jokers and I'll be posting those up shortly. I think you'll like them.

Thanks!
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

@Kleetz - Why not. I see your little leaf badge in the corner will be seen in the fan. My only suggestion is to extend these leaves out near the cut border. They would also look good in the fan.
Screenshot 2014-12-12 19.07.13.png
Screenshot 2014-12-12 19.07.13.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

I see you have a nice thick wood border. :D That should piss off MagikFingerz to no end. :D
RussellSprouts
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

sprouts1115 wrote:@Kleetz - Why not. I see your little leaf badge in the corner will be seen in the fan. My only suggestion is to extend these leaves out near the cut border. They would also look good in the fan.
Screenshot 2014-12-12 19.07.13.png

I see you have a nice thick wood border. :D That should piss off MagikFingerz to no end. :D
Yeah, i'll give it a shot!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

As promised, here are the Jokers.

I went with a diptych approach for these cards. So when placed together, they will create a scene of two lumberjacks sawing a log. Let me know what you guys think!

Smaller with the cards together forming the scene:

And maybe I'll offer a small print with one of the rewards, so this one will have "The Lumberjacks" on top instead of the Joker text.

Love to hear what you guys think!
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Those Jokers are great! I would drop the "the" though, just "Joker" is enough. As a general rule, any text that isn't necessary should be removed from cards IMO. On that note I'm not sure how I feel about the quote on the back design, but it doesn't bother me as much as it usually does since it IS somewhat justified.
sprouts1115 wrote: I see you have a nice thick wood border. :D That should piss off MagikFingerz to no end. :D
At least they're not thick white borders. Those are the worst <insert inappropriate racism joke here> :ugthink:
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Fantastic work on the jokers! I almost feel as if you could go full bleed at the seam considering the frame is cut off to begin with. It's your call though. :)

Agree with Tom on the back quote. It might look nicer without it but since it's small it's not too intrusive.
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Eoghann wrote:Fantastic work on the jokers! I almost feel as if you could go full bleed at the seam considering the frame is cut off to begin with. It's your call though. :)

Agree with Tom on the back quote. It might look nicer without it but since it's small it's not too intrusive.
Thanks! Yeah, I've been contemplating going full bleed. I initially decided against it because they would be the only two cards that bled to the edge. Didn't know if that was a "no, no" or something.
MagikFingerz wrote:Those Jokers are great! I would drop the "the" though, just "Joker" is enough. As a general rule, any text that isn't necessary should be removed from cards IMO. On that note I'm not sure how I feel about the quote on the back design, but it doesn't bother me as much as it usually does since it IS somewhat justified.
sprouts1115 wrote: I see you have a nice thick wood border. :D That should piss off MagikFingerz to no end. :D
At least they're not thick white borders. Those are the worst <insert inappropriate racism joke here> :ugthink:
I'll drop the "The"

Thanks for the comments guys!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Okay, here we go, the tuck box! I'm lucky enough to have a pretty beast printer at work that prints really high-quality stuff. So I ran off a few "prototypes" to see what the real thing may look like and if anything gets lost or looks weird.

Freshly cut

Glued up! I added the original deck to show how the new one pay homage to it.

Backs.

What's this, a seal?! Yep, these things will come sealed this time! I'll opt in for custom numbered seals too.

Real pixels

Lastly, I wanted to mention and point out somethings.

As you can see, both tucks have similarities which I thought was important as this is the second edition. I decided to show the Ace of Spades on the front to follow in the foot steps of the "Standard Bicycle" deck and many other decks that feature the AoS on the front. The first edition also featured a tree on the front but that tree wasn't found anywhere else in the deck. The font changed from "Bebas" to "High On Fire" which I think matches the feel of lumberjacks / woods better than before.

The back design, which y'all have already seen also pays homage to the original. Both have trees, axes, leaves in the corners, and a caption. Although this time the leaves have been revamped, the rope has been removed and replaced with a woodgrain border (which is a theme throughout the deck) and the axes are incorporated into the tree.

The top and sides... The axes have been removed from the top of the tuck and replaced with a two-man saw (that is also featured on the Jack of Hearts and both the Jokers). On the sides, the old rope has been removed and replaced with the woodgrain mentioned earlier and a small text change was made from "Air-Cushioned Finished - Made in the U.S.A." to "Quality Playing Cards - Made in the U.S.A." huge change, I know! (this is still in the air).

And of course, the biggest addition (not really) is the seal. It was non existent on the first deck (which was a huge mistake). It features the name and number of the deck again paying homage to the original. I left a decent amount of space in the middle so when you guys open it, you can leave it and it'll still have meaning.

I need a gaff card and then done and off it goes to USPCC for approval. Tell me what you guys think.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

The printed tuck looks hella nice! Colors really pop! :)
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Eoghann wrote:The printed tuck looks hella nice! Colors really pop! :)
Thank you sir!

Good news, I've submitted all the artwork to USPCC for approval! Hope everything goes smoothly. I read over their guidelines and had to change my King of Hearts (because it would've gone against their policy).

I'll keep you guys posted on updates, more artwork (custom brick boxes) and other things as they come up!

Feel free to comment / ask questions!
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Really? But swords through head are ok? I've seen more graphic ones get printed. Requiem for instance. Maybe consult with them first? :lol:
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Eoghann wrote:Really? But swords through head are ok? I've seen more graphic ones get printed. Requiem for instance. Maybe consult with them first? :lol:
Yeah, I think those were done in the past, and maybe they weren't bicycle branded? Here's what the "offensive material policy" I copy and pasted...

"We reserve the right not to print anything we deem unacceptable or a threat to national security. We don't allow items that infringe trademark rights of USPC or any third party. We do not allow items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial, sexual, or religious intolerance, or promote organizations with such views. We will not print anything that graphically portrays violence or victims of violence, unless they have substantial social or humanitarian value.

In addition we will not allow the following:

1. Racially or ethnically offensive material
We do not allow the use of racially or ethnically derogatory language or offensive images.

2. Discrimination
We do not allow the use of art or language that discriminates against an individual or group of individuals based on their religious believes, gender, sexual orientation, race, or disability.

3. Offensive or violent material. We do not allow images and text that relate to:
-Explicit crime scene or morgue photographs
-Images of executions
-Images encouraging violence towards humans or animals
-Images related to terrorist organizations

4. Sexually explicit material
We do not allow images nor text that describes, depicts, expresses or otherwise deals with matters of exposed genitals, or sexual activity. We do not allow images that contain nudity or sexually explicate images of any kind depicting a person who is, or looks like, a minor under 18 years of age.

5. Disasters and human tragedies
We do not allow images or text that graphically portray or glorify human tragedy or suffering."
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Yay YAY!

My Rep at USPCC got back to me today saying that Legal approved the deck! Very exciting! I will be posting more updates following the New Year... Speaking of which, I hope all of you have an awesome New Year!

Kleetz
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

@Klettz - I FANtasize what this WOOD look like. :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-12-30 16.20.36.png
Screenshot 2014-12-30 16.20.36.png (13.57 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
RussellSprouts
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Hey guys,

It's sorta been a bit and I wanted to post an update. It's a pretty good one too!

I've been working on creating a very straight forward website for people to go to and subscribe to get notified when the 2nd edition Lumberjacks are on Kickstarter.

http://www.lumberjackplayingcards.com/2ndedition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out, and if you're interested in knowing when the campaign is live, subscribe! I will NOT email you any non-sense. You will only get an email when it's live! And of course, i'll be posting here saying it's live as well.

Again, very straight forward, but once the campaign is finished (and if successful) I will be redoing both sites and combining both decks into one, better store.

Thanks!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. So here's a progress update!

I've been working on promotional photography for the Lumberjacks, getting prototype cards printed and looking for a cardist near my area for the video. That last one was a real challenge.

The good news is all three things are done!

Here's a preview of the photos (please keep in mind that these are mocks that I made using my in house printer):
Tuck

Aces:

The prototype cards (even though they were printed by a 3rd party printer) look really cool. I'll post some photos of them as well. I'm currently storyboarding the video and building the KS campaign as much as I can.

If you haven't done so yet, please subscribe!

Thanks!
-Kleetz
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Teaser of the tuck box:

DragonSoul

Unread post by DragonSoul »

LOVE the tuck! Everything's looking good.
Pablo393
Decks Owned: 634

Unread post by Pablo393 »

Really like the Aces and the tuck. I look forward to the finished product.
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Thank you for the kind words guys! I'm working hard to get it up. (that's what she said?!)
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

@Kleetz - Is that what she said? Show us some more pics.... :drool: Got to love the RedWoods only 5% remain. So they say...
Attachments
Screenshot 2015-02-10 20.15.01.png
RussellSprouts
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Hahah wow, impressive! Yeah it's a total bummer that so few remain. Crazy trees! I'll have some more content up later in the week.

-Kleetz
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

Great news!

We've shot and edited the video. So mark your calendars, the Lumberjacks go live on Kickstarter March 9th!

Check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-grZ2GDqp8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, subscribe and I'll let you know as soon as it goes live on the 9th: http://lumberjackplayingcards.com/2ndedition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best,
Kleetz