The Hounder's Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

The Hounder's Deck

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

A fun parody of the most notorious deck in Kickstarter history. By the way, this is still a work in progress. I was inspired by Weird Al. lol
This is Abrahound Lincoln
Barclay Mountains Co.
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: The Hounder's Deck

Unread post by Eoghann »

Haha whaaaa!

Love the idea. :)
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I might be crazy but I was toying with the idea of having this as my stretch goal deck for Colonial Unrest. What do you think? At $22,000 I'll have this deck printed by EPCC.
Barclay Mountains Co.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

AAAhahahaha! Brilliant :D

About the stretch goal, there's no harm in trying, I guess. Either people will like it or they won't.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
nECr0MaNCeD
Decks Owned: 677

Unread post by nECr0MaNCeD »

I love the deck and hope you will release it but I don't think it mixes well with Colonial Unrest. Just my 2 cents.....
If it's too loud.... you're too old!
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I agree, it's not related to the Unrest Series or Colonial Unrest... except for the Founding Fathers thing. I was just thinking it may be easier getting this funding as a ride-along to Colonial since novelty decks don't seem to do as good.

My first thought for the EPCC version (if we hit that stretch goal) would be do a different set of courts (just 12 not all 52). But with the tuck case do something similar to what Jody did with the Golden Spike black ink tuck case. I never thought of doing a spit cover like that. I can image half the eagle on one side and the other half on the back. Maybe do the American flag on the front and the British flag on the back.... that way when they get put together it will be somewhat similar to Civil Unrest.

My other thought for the EPCC version would be to do v2 of Civil Unrest but do it like Colonial... all 52 cards!

I'll probably put it up for a vote later on the project... but what are the thoughts here?
Barclay Mountains Co.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you want it to be part of a 2 deck set like you say with the split tuck cases, definitely a v2 (maybe not the right term, but kudos for not calling it a LE). If chosen, the Hounder's deck should be a separate deck with its own tuck and art, but I don't see a problem with it being a stretch goal and add-on.
- Tom

Check out my collection

nECr0MaNCeD

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:I agree, it's not related to the Unrest Series or Colonial Unrest... except for the Founding Fathers thing. I was just thinking it may be easier getting this funding as a ride-along to Colonial since novelty decks don't seem to do as good.

My first thought for the EPCC version (if we hit that stretch goal) would be do a different set of courts (just 12 not all 52). But with the tuck case do something similar to what Jody did with the Golden Spike black ink tuck case. I never thought of doing a spit cover like that. I can image half the eagle on one side and the other half on the back. Maybe do the American flag on the front and the British flag on the back.... that way when they get put together it will be somewhat similar to Civil Unrest.

My other thought for the EPCC version would be to do v2 of Civil Unrest but do it like Colonial... all 52 cards!

I'll probably put it up for a vote later on the project... but what are the thoughts here?

Excellent points and I agree. You sold me on it! ..... Now can I have my wallet back?!?! :shock:
mmiikk

Unread post by mmiikk »

i dont understand... what is the most notorious deck in history?
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

mmiikk wrote:i dont understand... what is the most notorious deck in history?
The Founder's deck is one (of several) decks on Kickstarter that scammed a ton of people (1,138 to be exact). Depending who you talk to it's either #1 or #2 as being the most notorious (infamous) decks in Kickstarter history. Go here: http://kck.st/XxHPgm to see the project and read the comments and updates. It will keep you busy for awhile reading all the comments. I know several deck artists have commented that they want to do a clone of the deck. My version is a parody rather than a clone. I feel he could still take legal action if you cloned his work out right. A parody is protected. However, if he did come out of the wood work, he would have so many legal issues it wouldn't be funny. Nobody can currently find him. But if I was a gambler... I bet he is a lurker here on this site and/or the other playing card forum. Who knows... he may have taken a new identity to protect himself.
Barclay Mountains Co.
nECr0MaNCeD

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:
The Founder's deck is one (of several) decks on Kickstarter that scammed a ton of people (1,138 to be exact). Depending who you talk to it's either #1 or #2 as being the most notorious (infamous) decks in Kickstarter history. Go here: http://kck.st/XxHPgm to see the project and read the comments and updates. It will keep you busy for awhile reading all the comments. I know several deck artists have commented that they want to do a clone of the deck. My version is a parody rather than a clone. I feel he could still take legal action if you cloned his work out right. A parody is protected. However, if he did come out of the wood work, he would have so many legal issues it wouldn't be funny. Nobody can currently find him. But if I was a gambler... I bet he is a lurker here on this site and/or the other playing card forum. Who knows... he may have taken a new identity to protect himself.
All very true. The other thing to worry about is if he gave the rights to the art to a third party before disappearing with everyone's cash. Not sure how that would work. Maybe Sinjin could shed some light on my theory.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Since we are talking about Weird Al here is his latest...

Original from Lorde....

RussellSprouts
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I put it up for a vote tonight... it's still early in the voting process but from preliminary results there is a clear desire to see the Hounder's deck come to light. I'm pretty sure with a parody, something like this would fall under the fair use law. Not to mention if this guy had an issue he can come out of hiding so everyone that has an issue with him can take up that issue. :D
Barclay Mountains Co.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Barclay Mountains Co.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:
Needless to say, it's one of the "loss leaders" in our "Hall of Shame" for fraudulent crowd funded campaigns right here: http://unitedcardists.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's hard to argue that they aren't #1 in that area, even though there are two decks that collected more money, those have been printed and at least partially fulfilled. The "Founders" deck was a fraudulent project from the beginning, never intended to do anything but take people's money. There are an awful lot of projects in the Hall of Shame that didn't start out as frauds, or never intended to be, but through lack of planning, use of the money other than what it was intended for or mismanagement of the funds otherwise, they ended up not having the funds to fulfill the backer rewards - in part - or at all. Some of them tried to repair the damage by selling enough to pay for shipping, but all in all, just sloppy and/or careless work was the cause of most of their problems. There are three projects from Circle City Cards in there, so it's hard to argue that Russell and Adam had 'good intent' running that third project and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would have funded a third deck when they were already waiting for two to be fulfilled - and waiting - and waiting (and still waiting for the most part). They tried to minimize the damage by sending out decks to a few key people - mostly those that shouted the loudest, but all in all it just turned ugly(er). I suppose the other side of the coin is that they thought they could make enough money with "deck 3" to help recover from the mess made by the first two - it just didn't happen.

How some of these decks ever funded is a mystery to me, and you really have to keep your eyes open when something shows up with what you know to be a very low goal. That is compounded by the fact that some of them even with those very low goals just barely squeaked by and were funded at 101% or similar. Just not enough money to get the job done. Production and fulfillment costs are something you have to know at least the basics about before you go trying to get a deck campaign funded. A lot of those in the Hall of Shame either didn't do their homework, didn't have a clue, or did and proceeded to collect funds in spite of the fact that they knew it just couldn't be done.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I think ol' George could do without the floppy ears RJ, they seem tacked on. Maybe shorter ears? They also seem pretty low.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Here's the cover WIP. Still have a few design elements to add but this is close to what I'm aiming for. Notice Uncle Scam on the top.
Attachments
New Cover1.jpg
New Cover1.jpg (300.1 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Barclay Mountains Co.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Not sure I'm on board with Pounders. Evokes the wrong kind of imagery. :lol:
I think Hounders worked best. Maybe it's just my gutter brain.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Eoghann wrote:Not sure I'm on board with Pounders. Evokes the wrong kind of imagery. :lol:
I think Hounders worked best. Maybe it's just my gutter brain.
I do see your point. There's two reason I was leaning towards Pounders... with that name I'm not limited to just hound dogs and with the P I could do the cute curly ends like he did with the F in Founders. The curly ends don't look as cut on an H.
Barclay Mountains Co.
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bah, who says you'd be "limited" to hound dogs? When I hear hound I simply think dog, and I think most people do the same.

I also vote for Hounders :)
- Tom

Check out my collection

Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I agree with Tom. You don't have to be limited to hounds. I just think of dogs. Hounders > Pounders
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

Lose the flappy ears, really..
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I do like the sound of Hounders better... so I'll see what I can do. I really like the curly ends on the P... so it's a hard choice to make. Plus I would have to turn Uncle Scam into a dog instead of the cat he is now. lol
I'll see if I can make the ears less floppy but that's what the ears look like on the dog I just got my kids. They've been begging for a dog for a long time so my wife and I finally broke down and took them to the local animal shelter.
Barclay Mountains Co.
nECr0MaNCeD

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:I do like the sound of Hounders better... so I'll see what I can do. I really like the curly ends on the P... so it's a hard choice to make. Plus I would have to turn Uncle Scam into a dog instead of the cat he is now. lol
I'll see if I can make the ears less floppy but that's what the ears look like on the dog I just got my kids. They've been begging for a dog for a long time so my wife and I finally broke down and took them to the local animal shelter.
+10 for saving a shelter dog. Remember... Love is a wet nose.... :ugdance:
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

MagikFingerz wrote:Bah, who says you'd be "limited" to hound dogs? When I hear hound I simply think dog, and I think most people do the same.

I also vote for Hounders :)

Pounders is so cats can be included as well. I also giggled a little on the name, but it's not a big deal.
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

I guess I could always call it Hounders and Friends. I'll think it over before I decide.
Barclay Mountains Co.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

rjtomlinson1977 wrote:I guess I could always call it Hounders and Friends. I'll think it over before I decide.
You can always go super punny and call it 'Hounders and Pawsidents' or 'Hounders and Meowsidents'. :o