Olympus Playing Cards *COMING SOON* TO KS

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Olympus Playing Cards *COMING SOON* TO KS

Unread post by Levereno »

Hello everyone! My name's scott I'm new! yeahh! :)

Take a look at this beauty!

Olympus playing cards, printed by the USPCC and Bicycle branded. Incredibly unique DIVINE deck of cards exclusively depicting the legendary ancient Greek gods of Mount Olympus. The deck focuses on the Olympians (the world's most influenced deities in the known human history). The deck will be featuring Zeus, Hades, Poseidon (as kings) and Athena, Aphrodite and Medusa (as queens) and a couple more which I won't reveal here :lol: :lol: so get excited! :) will glide perfectly in your collection. it is a divine deck, so it will be featuring all the gods of Olympus.

Here's the first look, :)

This special bad boy is ready to go and will soon make its way to kickstarter in a couple of days. Everything is ready to go! we're fixing a few things and as soon as it is fixed, it'll be LIVE! :-) :-)

Let me know what you think! I welcome awesome feedback from this forum :)

Hey! and Olympus UNDERWORLD deck is also looking forward to be unlocked. A place for all the bad, greedy and mean gods and Hades being the boss (of the underworld) since he was banished from Olympus.

Also, I need some help regarding the back of the Cards. How does this look?

The back of the deck features Athena (goddess of war), in the middle, the temple of Poseidon at the top and Apollo heads (protector) at the corners of the card.

What do you think about the color preferences of the card back? Should I make it lighter or darker? Which would stand out? Also you can notice the two has different rounded edges, one has a straight square edge but the other one has rounded edges, I have to add the border, but I would just like to get some feedback! :)

Here's the revised version of the card back No. 1 next to the previous design.

I'll be updating with more images of the deck & cards.

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Scott
Eoghann
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMMING SOON* TO Kickstarter

Unread post by Eoghann »

Hey Scott,

Deleted your duplicate thread in the drafting board. You're pretty much set to go minus a few tweaks so it made sense.

Question: is the shiny stuff how it will print or are you representing metallic inks?
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Eoghann wrote:Hey Scott,

Deleted your duplicate thread in the drafting board. You're pretty much set to go minus a few tweaks so it made sense.

Question: is the shiny stuff how it will print or are you representing metallic inks?

They will be pressed on metallic inks once the stretch goal has reached! If not, then we'll keep it to this design of having a "feel" and look of a metallic ink. Or I'd just give them a mettalic texture deducting the dark areas and replacing them with a solid gold texture.

Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

Welcome! I added you to the deck artist group :) I like the color scheme of your deck and the back is well designed and detailed. I notice that it's a one way back. I personally don't mind this, but other might... Would you consider doing a two way back?
DWulf

Unread post by DWulf »

I really like the art and the color choices! Just a couple of questions - why is Medusa one of the queens? It seems an odd choice since she's technically not an Olympian, and there are 5 (or 6, depending on which tradition/depiction is used) goddesses that make up the Twelve Olympians. She's a Gorgon or monster so she seems more fitting for the Underworld deck. Hades I can see since he is an Olympian in various traditions, even though he's not usually included amongst the Twelve Olympians.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the white semi-circle lines that go through the columns seem out of place to me.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Sher wrote:Welcome! I added you to the deck artist group :) I like the color scheme of your deck and the back is well designed and detailed. I notice that it's a one way back. I personally don't mind this, but other might... Would you consider doing a two way back?
Hey Sher,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, the card will be a two way back design. Sorry for the second picture of the card back since it shows a one way design. Here's a revised version of the card back. Replaced the old orb in the middle to a much cleaner design. Any other feedback is appreciated.

Scott

Sher

Unread post by Sher »

Ah, sorry... I didn't see the first back design as the image won't appear in my browser unless I click on it to view in a different tab. I'm on mobile, so it might just be me. But yes, that looks better :)
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

DWulf wrote:I really like the art and the color choices! Just a couple of questions - why is Medusa one of the queens? It seems an odd choice since she's technically not an Olympian, and there are 5 (or 6, depending on which tradition/depiction is used) goddesses that make up the Twelve Olympians. She's a Gorgon or monster so she seems more fitting for the Underworld deck. Hades I can see since he is an Olympian in various traditions, even though he's not usually included amongst the Twelve Olympians.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the white semi-circle lines that go through the columns seem out of place to me.
Hey DWulf,

Yes, Hades fits for the Underworld deck, but after days of research, I found out that scholars who have mastered the ancient greek mythology do say that Hades wasn't completely banished, and that he still is an acceptable figure among the Olympians (otherwise there would only be 11 Olympians). And sorry there bud, I made a mistake, medusa won't be among the queens, but will be among the jokers. Zues, Poseidon, Hephaestus, Hades (will be the kings) and Athena, Aphrodite, Hestia and Hera (will be the queens). Ares, Apollo, Hermes and Artemis (will be the jacks). Since there are 12 court cards on the standard deck of cards, the 12 Olympians slide in perfectly!

Oh and the semi circle is the symbol of spiritual and intellectual strength, the symbol of hidden knowledge and secret in ancient greek mythology. I've been doing research on this quiet a while now and have given minute details on every symbol I put on the card back. According to a very old legend, this semi circle is the same symbol Zeus used when he went war with Coronos (Zeus father, a titan).

But hey,if you can suggest something unique I should put replacing the semi circle, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

All ideas are welcome.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Sher wrote:Ah, sorry... I didn't see the first back design as the image won't appear in my browser unless I click on it to view in a different tab. I'm on mobile, so it might just be me. But yes, that looks better :)
Haha, that's fine. I seriously don't like the look of the card back when I'm on mobile. It looks ridiculous. The colors completely bleed through.
DWulf

Unread post by DWulf »

scottadkinss wrote: Yes, Hades fits for the Underworld deck, but after days of research, I found out that scholars who have mastered the ancient greek mythology do say that Hades wasn't completely banished, and that he still is an acceptable figure among the Olympians (otherwise there would only be 11 Olympians).
There's actually still 12 Olympians without the inclusion of Hades - Demeter, goddess of agriculture and Persephone's mother, is typically included.
scottadkinss wrote: Oh and the semi circle is the symbol of spiritual and intellectual strength, the symbol of hidden knowledge and secret in ancient greek mythology. I've been doing research on this quiet a while now and have given minute details on every symbol I put on the card back. According to a very old legend, this semi circle is the same symbol Zeus used when he went war with Coronos (Zeus father, a titan).
Ah, ok - I'm not as familiar with ancient Greek symbology. I just wasn't sure if there was a meaning for it or not. Is the color inside the semi circle going to be a different shade as is shown in the second image (the double backer)? It looks grayer to me.

Which temple of Poseidon are you referencing on the card back?
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

DWulf wrote:
scottadkinss wrote: Yes, Hades fits for the Underworld deck, but after days of research, I found out that scholars who have mastered the ancient greek mythology do say that Hades wasn't completely banished, and that he still is an acceptable figure among the Olympians (otherwise there would only be 11 Olympians).
There's actually still 12 Olympians without the inclusion of Hades - Demeter, goddess of agriculture and Persephone's mother, is typically included.
scottadkinss wrote: Oh and the semi circle is the symbol of spiritual and intellectual strength, the symbol of hidden knowledge and secret in ancient greek mythology. I've been doing research on this quiet a while now and have given minute details on every symbol I put on the card back. According to a very old legend, this semi circle is the same symbol Zeus used when he went war with Coronos (Zeus father, a titan).
Ah, ok - I'm not as familiar with ancient Greek symbology. I just wasn't sure if there was a meaning for it or not. Is the color inside the semi circle going to be a different shade as is shown in the second image (the double backer)? It looks grayer to me.

Which temple of Poseidon are you referencing on the card back?
Yes, the edges are depicted through a heated look to represent the metallic ink. So far the shades are just there to depict the metallic ink which will be pressed on the cards, but if we don't reach the stretch goal, we would keep the gradient to give a feel or a look of a metallic ink.

Hmm, I don't think Demeter is included among the 12 Olympians. Am I missing something here? These are 12 Mainstream Olympians confirmed by mytho scholars.

Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Athena Artemis, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Ares, Hermes.

Overtime there may have been some slight modification, but if you ask any anthropologist, he'll have you lead towards the list I sent you.

And the temple of Poseidon is right on top of Athena. Do you see those four columns? Followed by a narrowing two columns? That's what holding up the temple structure.
DWulf

Unread post by DWulf »

scottadkinss wrote:Hmm, I don't think Demeter is included among the 12 Olympians. Am I missing something here? These are 12 Mainstream Olympians confirmed by mytho scholars.

Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Athena Artemis, Apollo, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Ares, Hermes.

Overtime there may have been some slight modification, but if you ask any anthropologist, he'll have you lead towards the list I sent you.
I think all my texts are still packed up from my last move, but check out "CANONIZING THE PANTHEON: THE DODEKATHEON IN GREEK RELIGION AND ITS ORIGINS" by Ian Rutherford (esp. pages 46-47) in this link: http://home.lu.lv/~harijs/Macibu%20mate ... Greece.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scottadkinss wrote:And the temple of Poseidon is right on top of Athena. Do you see those four columns? Followed by a narrowing two columns? That's what holding up the temple structure.
Right, I was just wondering if there was a specific Temple of Poseidon that you were using as a reference. The two main surviving Temples of Poseidon that I'm familiar with (at Sounion and at Paestum) have Doric columns, while the temple on the card back has Ionic columns. Unless you're depicting the Ionic temple on the Athenian Acropolis that's dedicated to Athena Polias, Erechtheus, and Poseidon, although that's usually referred to as the Erechtheion.
Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMMING SOON* TO KS (wap)

Unread post by Cbkimble »

I think Hercules would be an awesome joker card.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

DWulf wrote:
scottadkinss wrote:Hmm, I don't think Demeter is included among the 12 Olympians. Am I missing something here? These are 12 Mainstream Olympians confirmed by mytho scholars.

I think all my texts are still packed up from my last move, but check out "CANONIZING THE PANTHEON: THE DODEKATHEON IN GREEK RELIGION AND ITS ORIGINS" by Ian Rutherford (esp. pages 46-47) in this link: http://home.lu.lv/~harijs/Macibu%20mate ... Greece.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
scottadkinss wrote:And the temple of Poseidon is right on top of Athena. Do you see those four columns? Followed by a narrowing two columns? That's what holding up the temple structure.
Right, I was just wondering if there was a specific Temple of Poseidon that you were using as a reference. The two main surviving Temples of Poseidon that I'm familiar with (at Sounion and at Paestum) have Doric columns, while the temple on the card back has Ionic columns. Unless you're depicting the Ionic temple on the Athenian Acropolis that's dedicated to Athena Polias, Erechtheus, and Poseidon, although that's usually referred to as the Erechtheion.
Great catch, your a keen observer. Yes, the temple is influenced by Erechtheum to give it a general greek look with ionic columns. True, the temple of posiedon (at Sounion and Paestum) doesn't have ionic columns but our temple structure was influenced by Erechtheum which also had other functions, though, notably as the shrine centre for other more ancient gods like poseidon. The beauty of making art influenced by Erechtheum is that its not only a shine centre for posiedon but also for gods like, as you mentioned Athena, Erechtheus, Pandrosos or Kekrops.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMMING SOON* TO KS (wap)

Cbkimble wrote:I think Hercules would be an awesome joker card.
This guy is way ahead of the game. Hercules is indeed a joker (no pun intended).
DWulf

Unread post by DWulf »

scottadkinss wrote:Great catch, your a keen observer. Yes, the temple is influenced by Erechtheum to give it a general greek look with ionic columns. True, the temple of posiedon (at Sounion and Paestum) doesn't have ionic columns but our temple structure was influenced by Erechtheum which also had other functions, though, notably as the shrine centre for other more ancient gods like poseidon. The beauty of making art influenced by Erechtheum is that its not only a shine centre for posiedon but also for gods like, as you mentioned Athena, Erechtheus, Pandrosos or Kekrops.
I really like that choice - the Ionic order has always been my favorite of the Greek classical architectural orders. More elegant than the Doric, but not over the top like the Corinthian. Looking forward to when your KS goes live - I'm definitely in :)
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

DWulf wrote:
scottadkinss wrote:Great catch, your a keen observer. Yes, the temple is influenced by Erechtheum to give it a general greek look with ionic columns. True, the temple of posiedon (at Sounion and Paestum) doesn't have ionic columns but our temple structure was influenced by Erechtheum which also had other functions, though, notably as the shrine centre for other more ancient gods like poseidon. The beauty of making art influenced by Erechtheum is that its not only a shine centre for posiedon but also for gods like, as you mentioned Athena, Erechtheus, Pandrosos or Kekrops.
I really like that choice - the Ionic order has always been my favorite of the Greek classical architectural orders. More elegant than the Doric, but not over the top like the Corinthian. Looking forward to when your KS goes live - I'm definitely in :)
Yes, that's absolutely true. Ionic has more of a general Greek look than a Doric and is predominantly considered default or "neutral". The Corinthian design is hastily exhaustive, while Doric is too simple! Ionic was picked without a sheer hesitation since it's right in the middle, not too perplexing like the Corinthian or extremely simplistic like the Doric.

Though if you look closely, you'll see that the temple on the tuck box has Doric columns.

Thanks, will be updating when it goes live, stay tuned. Any feedback is still appreciated since we're wrapping up in a couple of days before launching.

Thanks.
Sher

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMMING SOON* TO KS

Unread post by Sher »

Do you mind showing us pictures of some of the court cards?
cherrynukacola

Unread post by cherrynukacola »

Very promising - I look forward to seeing more!
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Sher wrote:Do you mind showing us pictures of some of the court cards?
Yes, I'll be updating soon with the courts cards and pip layouts. Stay tuned.

Here's the updated, improved and revised card back No. 1 next to the previous design. The edges are now rounded and border is darkened to give a warm look to it. Which one do you prefer? Thanks.

Depending on your computer I guess, if not, what you're seeing now is the actual size of the card. Pick up any card and align it, you'll see that it will magically fit.

Here's the HD pic - http://postimg.org/image/u2lvmd7ev/full/
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Welcome, Scott!

You've obviously done your research, and the art looks great. There's a bit too much gold for my taste though (purely subjective, of course). What color scheme will the faces use?

I also agree that the semi-circle looks slightly out of place, the difference in color makes it look like a lens is covering the back design.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

MagikFingerz wrote:Welcome, Scott!

You've obviously done your research, and the art looks great. There's a bit too much gold for my taste though (purely subjective, of course). What color scheme will the faces use?

I also agree that the semi-circle looks slightly out of place, the difference in color makes it look like a lens is covering the back design.
Yes, the symbols on the card back are purely greek, even the tiniest insertions have stories and represents a Greek mytho. Thanks for the input. The court cards are laid down on a blood red background with courts being golden, but minimalist.

Yes, we're working on that now, which semi circle are you referring to? The one in the middle or the one at the top?

Thanks,
MagikFingerz
Site Admin
Site Admin
Cardist: Yes
Magician: Yes
White Whale: Sawdust and Delicious + uncuts

Unread post by MagikFingerz »

Levereno wrote: Yes, we're working on that now, which semi circle are you referring to? The one in the middle or the one at the top?
The one(s) crossing the column(s) on the sides.
- Tom

Check out my collection

My (abandoned and now severely outdated) Playing Card Wiki
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

MagikFingerz wrote:
Levereno wrote: Yes, we're working on that now, which semi circle are you referring to? The one in the middle or the one at the top?
What would you recommend? modify it or completely get rid of it?
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Levereno wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:
Just knowing what we expect to here - especially from Tom is that the margins are a bit wide, and so thinner borders would go a long way to making it look better. I don't think this deck works well with a borderless or "full bleed" type back design. It's just too ornate to fit into that category, and frankly with that minor adjustment I already like what I'm seeing a lot, without even really seeing much of the faces themselves. If you're using a USPCC-provided "poker die" layout, they're _very_ conservative about what's 'outside' the standard print area. You can easily push that a good bit, perhaps even about 1/8th of an inch on all sides, I'm thinking? I know several decks that push it right out to the edge, and in fact using the "Full Bleed" backs means there is no border in them at all - they "blend" together across the uncut sheet as a repeating pattern over and over. Good example of those is the old Bee "Diamond Back" used in a lot of the casino decks.

At this point, it was news to me reading the latest USPCC product branding guide that they no longer sell any Bee decks except from the casino side - nor Artistocrat branded decks or paper, and haven't sold anything on the 'custom' side of the plant in a couple of years, now. No decks, no paper stock either. Bee paper _is_ still available as a 'step up' to their standard paper stock, and even it was upgraded recently with a new "bicycle" paper stock that has more stiffness and 'snap'. I think all three of the companies that together do 99% of the US market (USPCC, Expert and MPC) have upgraded their paper stock recently - at least within the past six months or so. The most noticeable upgrade is for MPC, and that's actually quite a lot different from what they used to sell. Their new 310gsm 'linen' finish paper is almost what you would expect in quality and handling from USPCC, to be honest. I just got a new deck today from MPC, and it handles like a dream (no, I won't say "butter" again, because we don't want greasy fingers). ;)
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Mike Ratledge wrote:
Levereno wrote:
MagikFingerz wrote:
Just knowing what we expect to here - especially from Tom is that the margins are a bit wide, and so thinner borders would go a long way to making it look better. I don't think this deck works well with a borderless or "full bleed" type back design. It's just too ornate to fit into that category, and frankly with that minor adjustment I already like what I'm seeing a lot, without even really seeing much of the faces themselves. If you're using a USPCC-provided "poker die" layout, they're _very_ conservative about what's 'outside' the standard print area. You can easily push that a good bit, perhaps even about 1/8th of an inch on all sides, I'm thinking? I know several decks that push it right out to the edge, and in fact using the "Full Bleed" backs means there is no border in them at all - they "blend" together across the uncut sheet as a repeating pattern over and over. Good example of those is the old Bee "Diamond Back" used in a lot of the casino decks.

At this point, it was news to me reading the latest USPCC product branding guide that they no longer sell any Bee decks except from the casino side - nor Artistocrat branded decks or paper, and haven't sold anything on the 'custom' side of the plant in a couple of years, now. No decks, no paper stock either. Bee paper _is_ still available as a 'step up' to their standard paper stock, and even it was upgraded recently with a new "bicycle" paper stock that has more stiffness and 'snap'. I think all three of the companies that together do 99% of the US market (USPCC, Expert and MPC) have upgraded their paper stock recently - at least within the past six months or so. The most noticeable upgrade is for MPC, and that's actually quite a lot different from what they used to sell. Their new 310gsm 'linen' finish paper is almost what you would expect in quality and handling from USPCC, to be honest. I just got a new deck today from MPC, and it handles like a dream (no, I won't say "butter" again, because we don't want greasy fingers). ;)
I was initially debating regarding the thinner borders, and now, taken the feedback they do seem to take a bit of space and toning them down would certainly help the card pop out and giddy it up further. Since this card is too gaudy, I would have to agree with you that having no border on this particular nature would look awfully unaesthetic. I appreciate it that you like what you see already and I’ll have you informed that courts are almost reaching their conclusion, which are influenced by the original depiction of Greek deities.

The Courts show more of a “refined” version of depictions and portrayals the ancient Greeks illustrated themselves regarding their deities. All courts designs, of gods and goddesses will have exactly what the ancient Greeks depicted the gods to be like, with a slight modification and pattern to fit in the playing card arena.

Here’s a rough sketch of Athena (the queen of diamonds), with a Spartan helmet, a spearhead and an armored attire to represent war and battle since she is, of course, the goddess of war and wisdom.

After the courts are completed they will be textured gold on a red blood background with custom pip layouts each having their own symbols of Greek mythology with references to the residents of mount Olympus.

This is a very early rough sketch to give you a visual idea about the courts (missing quiet a lot).

Inspired by Leonard Porter Achilles and Pentheselia on the Plain of Troy, with Athena, Aphrodite and Eros.

Regarding the USPCC phenomenon, I was not aware of their multiple changes in stock paper and quality. That’s a shock, perhaps they’re having some production hammering to further stick with the Bees? Not sure if it’s the low demand or simply costly expenses. But that’s quiet weird IMO. MPC’s new 310gsm does seem worth giddying up for. Thrilled to hear about their sudden upgrade in paper stock. Since you brought it up, I’ll order some MPC printed decks to check this out upgrade myself. What was the name of the MPC deck that you bought recently? Care to let me know so I can buy a couple?
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMING SOON* TO KS

hey everyone,

here's a rough draft of the court cards and the numbers.

this needs a lot of work, so please disregard some choppy details as we're fixing that and will fill it up with some extra details.

but here's the question. Do these look good? Would you buy them? Please and also give me some feedback if I'm going on the right direction. Thanks.

Please avoid the K on Athena. Will fix that later.

Maybe I should post this on the drafting board.

nd would be nice if you let me decide which card back looks better.

Cbkimble
Decks Owned: 363

Unread post by Cbkimble »

The court is nice although a little transparent. lol. IMO, the pips should be spread out a little more, but that's my preference. I prefer the back under the king.
Feeding the addiction one deck at a time.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Cbkimble wrote:The court is nice although a little transparent. lol. IMO, the pips should be spread out a little more, but that's my preference. I prefer the back under the king.
thanks mate. decided to keep the numbers little transparent while popping them out just a little bit so that they can look rather simplistic or minimalist. i will consider spreading out the pips, thanks.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Levereno - I like what I see. If your courts don't have borders why should your back of card. If I had to pick, I pick your second one and try to extent this as far as I could to the top left. Mike is right. No man land is about an ⅛ of an inch. Do you like that the column is split in two? MagikFinger has mentioned it.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-08-04 20.06.16.png
Screenshot 2014-08-04 20.06.16.png (33.6 KiB) Viewed 1391 times
RussellSprouts