Olympus Playing Cards *COMING SOON* TO KS

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
ecNate
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
Decks Owned: 400

Re: Olympus Playing Cards *COMING SOON* TO KS

Unread post by ecNate »

purely preference perhaps, but I was really excited when I saw the draft drawings and disappointing when I saw the colored mockups. I think you are losing a lot of detail with the red background on the face of the cards. The back works, but the face is just too dark and not enough contrast. I liked your black on white and the gold on black in your inspiration, but the color choices just don't work for me. The red on red is even worse.

I'm not overly fond of red back cards, even black ones are tough to make work in my mind. So perhaps it's my bias, but I would carefully consider other combinations or at least lighten up the background.

I just can't get past that to even evaluate any further. The only other thing that pops out is the checkerboard pattern on the edges next to the columns. Why? Not clear what purpose that serves, but it's a bit distracting and doesn't fit the feel of the rest of the back.

I do love the theme though and the artwork overall is nice, but you're not giving it the presentation that allows it to 'shine'. ;)
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

I moved the topic as this is still clearly a work in progress.

And i agree with nate that the faces are far too dark for any of the details to be seen.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Levereno »

ecNate wrote:purely preference perhaps, but I was really excited when I saw the draft drawings and disappointing when I saw the colored mockups. I think you are losing a lot of detail with the red background on the face of the cards. The back works, but the face is just too dark and not enough contrast. I liked your black on white and the gold on black in your inspiration, but the color choices just don't work for me. The red on red is even worse.

I'm not overly fond of red back cards, even black ones are tough to make work in my mind. So perhaps it's my bias, but I would carefully consider other combinations or at least lighten up the background.

I just can't get past that to even evaluate any further. The only other thing that pops out is the checkerboard pattern on the edges next to the columns. Why? Not clear what purpose that serves, but it's a bit distracting and doesn't fit the feel of the rest of the back.

I do love the theme though and the artwork overall is nice, but you're not giving it the presentation that allows it to 'shine'. ;)
That's exactly what I would like to hear! Thanks for the great feedback. I appreciate it. I agree with you. What color choices do you think I should be working with? Should I make the red darker or lighter? Or simply take it out? What are your suggestions towards the pips? the number cards? Should I give them a different color? Different design maybe, what would you prefer? This was just a really rough draft and it is not the final piece however I just need some advice if I was going on the right direction and any feedback helps. You said the red on red looks worse, I kinda agree, how should I be changing that?

I'll sort out the back design later though, but I need to choose the right colors for the pip and number cards. If You don't like the red background on the pips what other color should I put, maybe give it a different texture? add borders? Please help me decide which will look better. Thanks.

I need to confirm the draft in order to begin adding details to the pips since these are just rough drafts.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

sprouts1115 wrote:@Levereno - I like what I see. If your courts don't have borders why should your back if card. If I had to pick, I pick your second one and try to extent this as far as I could to the top left. Mike is right. No man land is about an ⅛ of an inch. Do you like that the column is split in two? MagikFinger has mentioned it. Do you like it?
Great point sprouts. I should really consider having a good turnaround but that was just a rough sketch not the final piece AT ALL. The courts still need a great deal of detail. And overall it needs to be fixed.

I will update everyone shortly with the final design piece. Stay tuned!
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Here's a very early choppy unfinished Ace of spades medusa.

Thoughts?

haven't updated in a long time. but courts are almost finished now. just a couple of days left until launch.

Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

I like your style. And I really like that Medusa ace! It's seriously badass. :)

But I have to be honest that I really don't like the shiny effect you have on the cards. Also, even though I really like the ace, the style doesn't seem connected with the rest of the deck.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@Leverano - You might want to put some more black in your center and top in your AoS. It needs a bit more black. My brain is thinking 51% for the space on the AoS, but you can probably get away with less. What percentage of black do you have on your AoS or Medusa? Sorry, it's 2/32 border all round the card for the USPCC.
Attachments
Screenshot 2014-09-24 16.52.52.png
RussellSprouts
montecarlojoe
White Whale: Avant Guard UL Gr - No17 Crown
Decks Owned: 690

Unread post by montecarlojoe »

Not sure about needing more black - but sproutmeister is righ that it needs something to accentuate the point of the spade - the snakes are rounding out the top and it in danger of looking like a club.

Fab artwork though.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

I almost forgot about this, glad to see an update!
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Eoghann wrote:I like your style. And I really like that Medusa ace! It's seriously badass. :)

But I have to be honest that I really don't like the shiny effect you have on the cards. Also, even though I really like the ace, the style doesn't seem connected with the rest of the deck.
Thanks. it's not done though. it needs a little bit of more details and should be done. And yes, i'll take out that shiny effect.

the style doesn't seem connected is because we need to bring it on a red background and make it golden. it will look more connected after that. but I'm still thinking if i should do that or not. Maybe keep the cards white? like the ritual deck? with a red card back of course.

the design or color references in the deck are inspired by the muertos deck. I wanted to do something similar but with a red blood theme of ancient greece.

=======

@sprouts, i was debating on that. Keeping more black will bring out the design. shoving more and more details just looks ridiculous. the ace has less than 24% black. maybe I should put more solid black to bring out the design. it will look minimal and simplistic after that. Great idea.

========

@montecarlojoe, eh, it's because it's not done. it kinda looks like a clubs though after its done it will look crispier because I will outline it like an ace with pointed top.

========

@ecNate, thanks, hope you like it.
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Here are the rough sketches of courts.

Jack (Ares, God of War). Jack (Hermes, messenger), & King (Hades, God of the Underworld). with ace.

again far from done. detailing will make everything look better. just a rough sketches that i wanted to show.

Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

UPDATE:

Here they are - http://s28.postimg.orgg/3n7bjan9oo/Unti ... 444466.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Levereno
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Red on golden, So for example - http://s2.postimg.org/6ltf00u08/Untitle ... 4444444466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

@levereno - Oh yea. Any card that shows a nipple I like it.
RussellSprouts