Ultimate Universe Playing Cards

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Ultimate Universe Playing Cards

Unread post by Alyooola »

Hello UC friends!

I am currently working on an upcoming deck for Gambler’s Warehouse. The artist that I am working with has done posters for various famous musicians such as the Black eyed Peas, Kid Cudi, Mos Def and Common.

His style of artwork is a conceptual fusion of Japanese pop art and U.S. urban culture. I really liked his work and thought that it would transfer well to create some fresh, exciting and unique looking playing cards. Something a little more bright and fun than a lot of the horror themed stuff we have seen lately.

The concept behind this deck is based on oriental mythology: 4 guardians for the North, South, East and West. Each direction is represented by an animal which is shown in this deck with each suit being represented by it’s own animal. Fish, Tiger, Dragon, Bird etc.

Below are several rough drafts of what the artist and I have come up with so far. We are obviously still in the drafting/idea phase so nothing is permanent. We have some of the courts vectorized (most without color) and are still ironing out the color scheme.

The artist chose the name “Ultimate Universe” for this deck and the box and card backs feature an oriental style compass, all to follow the “four directions” concept. The box will be embossed and we are discussing foil options, but I am kinda leaning towards no foil on this one.

We have gone through several different color scheme options and so far this one seems to fit best to the design, while keeping the artist's signature bright color style.

I would love to get your feedback on the colors and am open to any other feedback you may have on the overall design. I feel that something is still a little "off" here with some things, and I always trust you guys to give great ideas and criticism.. So please have at it and let me know what you think.

-Alysha

Ultimate Universe Card Back
ultimate-universe-back-1.jpeg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Ultimate Universe Court Drafts
Ultimate Universe Queen of Hearts Draft (no color)
Ultimate Universe Queen of Hearts Draft (no color)
Ultimate Universe Colored Courts
Ultimate Universe Colored Courts
Ultimate Universe Box
Ultimate Universe Box
Ultimate Universe Box
ultimate-universe-box-1.jpeg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Alysha
I do marketing & other fun stuff @ http://gamblerswarehouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Ultimate Universe Playing Cards

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

I guess everyone is holding their breath to see how I will respond. Well frankly it's the same as it always has been! Breathe easy guys and gals...

While it is obvious that the artist worked hard on these, it's also obviously way outside the norm that we, as collectors want, and therefore fund. Unless these are re-engineered, I just don't think they are sellable. "I've been known to be wrong before"...
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Thanks for the reply, Mike. We are not opposed to "re-engineering" these to an extent. That is obviously why I posted here to the drafting category :) We went into the project knowing that these would be out of the norm, and something that you don't see everyday (or ever) on playing cards. We have received some feedback from others outside of the forum and it has been generally positive, however we do very much value the opinion of the UC members and realize that you all know your stuff.

I would love to hear your (and other members) thoughts on how we could make this concept/design better and more appealing to collectors. As you stated, the designer did work very hard on these so we don't want to take away his creativity entirely from the cards, but any suggestions on what we might do to improve them more to the liking of typical collectors is greatly appreciated.
Alysha
I do marketing & other fun stuff @ http://gamblerswarehouse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jock1971

Unread post by Jock1971 »

Fantastic looking cards. :drool:
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jock1971 wrote:Fantastic looking cards. :drool:
See, I told you, Alysha: not the final authority on what will or won't sell, for sure.
>Mike<
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Very interesting concept!

I like how colorful the cards are but I also LOVE the simplicity of the draft. Maybe consider a blank variant to go along with the colored version?

As for the colored ones, from far away they look great. But as I get closer, the gradient seems more and more distracting. The design is already extremely detailed and the gradient just adds to it and can be a bit much. And some details even get lost because it fades into white.

I was thinking of cel shading instead of gradients for the coloring. Keep the same color scheme but make them solid colors to balance the design a bit?

Speaking of color scheme, since the suits represent different regions and animals, I think it's only fitting that the scheme change between them. Fish can be gold/silver/purple, dragons red or green with golden accents, birds blue and tigers orange. Or whatever color you think represents them better.
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

I like the concept as well, HOWEVER there are several things, of the 4 mythical creatures, that representing the north (pei in japanese, bei in chinese, Diamonds in this case) is not a fish, but instead a tortoise.

The back to me needs to be coloured for sure and not greyscale as shown here, the greyscale looks out of place.

The gradient done on the pips is distracting and affects functionality of the cards, i agree with Eoghann that the perhaps a 4 coloured deck would be good in your instance.

Honestly there are a hundred little things we could go try and point out, but those are my main "concerns" =)
th4mo

Unread post by th4mo »

With all the custom cards coming out these days, what i look for more and more is originality...

And these are terrific! :D

I agree that some of the gradient effects would affect playability, but then I almost never play with the cards in my collection.
That's to say that playability is less of a concern of mine, although i don't usually appreciate (or buy) cards that are completely unplayable (which is far from the case with these, so far).

I agree that the backs should have some color to make them relate to the faces better.

And since no one else has mentioned this yet, maybe it's just me... but i think the "bicycle" logo looks really out of place with the style of the rest of the deck.

I disagree with Ratman; I think this deck would fund with fairly minor changes, as long as it doesn't have heavy competition for backer's funds (so, a matter of timing on the release). 8-)
Keep it Sizzlin'!
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I really like these!!! The style reminds me of tokidoki. Not as kawaii (cute), but there are similarities. I think this style will be appreciated in Japan and other Asian countries the most.
Strag
White Whale: None
Decks Owned: 0

Unread post by Strag »

This would be the first of the Gambler's Warehouse decks I would go for.
StanKindLee
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by StanKindLee »

I'm kinda in <Eoghann>'s boat... the court card line art is quite appealing to me, but the appeal wears off quickly when looking at the colored versions. I suggest toning down the gradients and placing color in areas which highlight the line art.
-- $tanley
Flame Fractal deck - http://freakiebeat.com/index.php/flame- ... -in-spades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Animation of the Flame Fractal deck - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Kq0BA8w9w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Thank you so much for all of your feedback! :D

Funny how everyone is pretty much in agreeance about the gradient. I have felt the same way since the beginning. I am not really feeling that gradient at all. It looks nice from a distance but it seems to complicate the design and kind of blur things together as you all have said.

@volantangel - Thank you for pointing this out! I will mention this to the designer. I assumed that he had his mythology correct since he is of oriental descent.

@Eoghann I fully agree about possibly having a second deck with a blank variant. I really like the simplicity without color myself as well. And your point about the color scheme changing throughout the suits in the colored deck is spot on. My main concern with that is tying in all of those colors in with the back of the card and the box. Do you have any suggestions there?

@Sher Yes! That is exactly our vision here. I have some very neat new add-ons and rewards that will go along with the campaign for this deck that have not been done before. This artist is also fairly popular on his own in that area, so I am hoping that this will do well amongst his fans at the same time.

I think from this point forward the main concerns are getting the color sorted out overall… I may have the designer do a draft of the box without bicycle branding to see how it looks too.

I am glad that most everyone is liking the concept of this deck and appreciates seeing something fresh that has not been done before! I will keep you all updated as work on this design progresses ;)
Alysha
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

For the blank deck, I'm sure you've got it covered but keep in mind it's crucial that it not only be a stunning design, but also functional. The indices and pips need to be clear enough to be read from across a table. Same for the color scheme of the pips and indices.

As for the back, I was kicking around an idea of making the compass more prominent. The central pinwheel kind of steers away from the notion that we're looking at a compass. Perhaps also remove the boxes in the ordinal points as well. Each cardinal point could have a small figure representing each kingdom with their designated colors.

The blank back would be the same except the only splash of color would be the cardinal points animals and perhaps the corners? I would suggest full bleed, coz as you've seen with Occults, the fans could be potentially gorgeous here too.
sprouts1115
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 50

Unread post by sprouts1115 »

Holy crap, Strag likes your deck. He is like Mikey in that old commercial. I have to respond.

Screenshot 2014-07-16 16.35.08.png
Screenshot 2014-07-16 16.35.08.png (260.03 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
I like artistic decks, but they need to be functional. Lets start with the back of your card. Looks pretty good. Don't see any problems. It's a standard "2-sided" back. Your outer boarder is a bit thick though. MagikFingerz might bitch at you. Ppl have suggested to add a little bit of color. I think they are correct. So far, you have shown us your diamonds are a kind of pink and your spades are a kind of blue. Whatever your colors for your hearts and clubs are I would add them to you back of card. There you go you got your 4 colors for your back of card. Doesn't mean you have to stick with the 4 you can add more if you want to, but I would at least have the 4 colors for the 4 suits to tie everything to your back of card.
Screenshot 2014-07-16 16.35.31.png
Screenshot 2014-07-16 16.35.31.png (12.08 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Your indices needs some help. First, since you have a big ass block rank index "J" I think you need a big ass block suit index. I think the one you have now is to small. I would also take out the border around it and try to put it as far as possible in the top left. Put it in no mans land. No mans land is half way between the dotted line and the cut boarder. I feel you need a bigger suit index because you need to know what the card is at a distance plus your court cards are not traditional, but by using the 4 colors for the suits and having a big ass suit index it will help people when using you unique deck.

I think you need to spend the extra .75 per deck and keep the "Bicycle" logo. In most cases, I think the logo is like a crutch, but in your case your deck is way to different. I think it would actually help you.

So what are the colors for your other suits?
RussellSprouts
RickardSmith

Unread post by RickardSmith »

I think the uncolored back provides too stark a contrast with the beautiful coloring of the courts. As they are drafts, I'm assuming the coloring/shading will be more consistent as the project evolves.

Otherwise, love the idea! Good luck :D
CBJ
Decks Owned: 2000

Unread post by CBJ »

I'm a huge fan of the front of the tuck... but, is there any way to add maybe a little red to make it pop a bit more?
CBJ

Are you a Bicycle collector? Come join the Facebook group: www.BicycleCardCollectors.com
52Ravens
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 34

Unread post by 52Ravens »

This has got a great original style to it but I'd like to see some flat colours to compare to, I feel gradients can date a design
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Hello everyone!

I received an update from our designer and I think he has really done a great job with taking everyone's feedback and coming up with a better coloring solution for the court cards. We will now begin editing the color on the back of the cards and the tuck box to match accordingly. (We still would appreciate any new feedback that you may have for this round of edits of course!)

Check it out!
Courts
Courts
Alysha
volantangel

Before i start saying too much, alysha how accurate does the designer want to be with the mythology ?
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Oh! Sorry, I meant to comment on that as well :) We discussed the tortoise and the reason he went with the fish is for design purposes. He says to consider this his artistic "twist" on the old mythology.
Alysha
volantangel

Alyooola wrote:Oh! Sorry, I meant to comment on that as well :) We discussed the tortoise and the reason he went with the fish is for design purposes. He says to consider this his artistic "twist" on the old mythology.
Haha no worries ! Traditionally there are colours associated with the creatures as well, (green, red, white, black) however i dont think white and black will work well as suits in such a colourful deck. But its always good to have more stuff to think about =)
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Gotcha! Good to know. I appreciate the input!
Alysha
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Wow! Loving the new look!
Kleetz
Deck Artist
Deck Artist

Unread post by Kleetz »

These are really really cool! Wasn't a fan of the gradients used and love that you took them out. Coloring is spot on. Well done!
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I really like how this developing.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sher wrote:I really like how this developing.
Yes, I agree as well. It looked interesting to begin with, but the changes make it more marketable. We're getting there!
>Mike<

Show Us Your Cards!

"Odd Fellows"
«Eighth Annual Decks»

by Montenzi Design

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Thirdway Industries
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer

Unread post by Thirdway Industries »

I really like the last update!
Now I want to see some queens.
Thirdway Industries shop > https://www.thirdwayindustries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Hello everyone

The designer has sent me an update on the color of the cad back. We have not yet sorted out the box coloring. I wanted to get your opinion on this first.

To me, the forest green seems a little out of place when compared to the courts. It doesn't scream "AWESOME" to me like the re-coloring of the courts did when I viewed the last update. However, others on our team seem to really like the shade. I am torn here. I like the mix of bright colors (reminds me of pachinko machine kind of, lol) but for some reason that green is throwing me off.

What are your thoughts? Any other ideas?
back_cardC.jpg
back_cardC.jpg (127.49 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
courts.png
courts.png (637.05 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Alysha
Eoghann

Unread post by Eoghann »

Black on some areas maybe? Might make the colors pop even more.
Attachments
back_cardCa.jpg
back_cardCa.jpg (132.66 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Alyooola
✔ VERIFIED Seller
✔ VERIFIED Seller

Eoghann I was thinking the exact same thing. I tinkered around with in in photoshop for awhile too. My only concern with the black is that there is no black on the faces. Do you think that really matters? the black really does make the colors pop. We want to stick with the final color on the face cards if possible.
Alysha