Stained Glass Deck

Designing a deck? Need input? Show us here!
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
Collector: Yes
Player: Yes
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Re: Stained Glass Deck

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

ecNate wrote:
Yashi wrote:Looking good! Somehow I'm reminded of Beauty and The Beast, not that it's a bad thing.

ahhh!!! Can't unsee now! :D
There are several little items hidden into the basic back design, and Kai knows what people want. Heck if you've been hanging around here and don't know what people want ( and what will sell - or not) - then you need a CAT scan to see if there's any intelligent lifeforms present. Very well thought out, well executed and it will work from every angle that I look at it. Good job, buddy!
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
oojianhua
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 12

Re: Stained Glass Deck (wap)

Unread post by oojianhua »

Looking forward to the finished product man
Only the brave triumph.
ps. i forgot where i heard this quote
volantangel
Decks Owned: 350

Unread post by volantangel »

After revisiting what we have for our deck and concept, we felt that the first court card that we have presented simply wasnt our best, so we have decided to completely rework the queen for it to be more coherent with the theme and i think it looks much better artistically. Let us know what you think, any and all feedback is welcome.
10425782_10152345645101713_163820645_n.jpg
rjtomlinson1977
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Decks Owned: 15

Unread post by rjtomlinson1977 »

Looking good! :D
Barclay Mountains Co.
wahl0108
Decks Owned: 121

Unread post by wahl0108 »

Love the window feel, but to me it seems like the glass for the club is on top of the main window instead of a part of it. I think it would be better to completely capture the pip inside one of the diamonds and then have shards take up the rest of the white space because I don't think you would cut out just a club shape from a window and be able to support it, if that makes sense.
Romans VIII.XXXVII-XXXIX

ISO:
Boss Deck
Yashi

Unread post by Yashi »

Much better! But yeah, the club looks like it's popping out too much.
Mike Ratledge
Site Admin
Site Admin
White Whale: OG USPCC Vanity Fair [mint]
Decks Owned: 7800

Unread post by Mike Ratledge »

Really looking good, Kai! This deck looks like a good candidate to be the first Chromografix deck, maybe? It would allow you to utilize the even better paper (you'll see that when you touch the Venexiana Gold decks that go on sale later tonight - 12:01AM tomorrow per the clock, but we all think of that as being tonight and not "tomorrow"), along with the ultra high color and resolution technology I've applied for a patent to protect, and things like the name have been registered as trademarks, for example.
>Mike<
"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
They say "Ignorance is bliss". Obviously, some people are much happier than others...

Members are encouraged to
Show Us Your Cards!

Our UC2021 Decks entitled
"Odd Fellows"
by Lorenzo Gaggiotti / @Stockholm17
Coming soon: AKA
«Eighth Annual Decks»

UC members help maintain Portfolio52
THE Playing Card Database Online
Contact ecNate for details and access

UC2019 "Seventh Annual Decks"
by Montenzi Design
Funded 207% on KS: HERE

>>> UC Deck Sales <<<

Insert disclaimer here...
All information posted as fact is accurate at the time of posting to the best of my knowledge.
IAmTheChin
✔ VERIFIED Designer
✔ VERIFIED Designer
Magician: Yes
Decks Owned: 300

Unread post by IAmTheChin »

Hi Volantangel,
I'm incredibly intrigued by theme of this deck but if you're looking for some feedback I'd honestly have to say that it's a trepidatious one. I see this deck as a high risk/high reward scenario.

Cons: Includes possibly looking a little too coloring book and dwelling a bit too into religion. This sheer topic will be sure to shy away a few backers that would normally back a deck.

Pros: It has so many. So so many. I've wanted to do this concept for a while and I'm glad someone is. I would love to see you maximize the potential that this is. This isn't a concept of your cathedral. It's the concept of translucency, and when you frame the deck in that way you have so much more potential to offset this deck from others. As of right now I want to see those pictures pop. I want to see light shining through each and one of those cards. That's where the beauty of stained glass comes from. If you're not feeling them pop, then it's just a painting and not glass, and you lose your concept. Never lose your concept.

I'm not sure if you know but the word "story" comes from stained glass windows. Stained glass were stories that were displayed in the most expensive spaces. Very few places except churches could afford them. As churches grew bigger so did the stories. Eventually the height of a building that is measured in "stories" is based off that. I would love to see you leverage a good story into your video if you do KS especially with a topic with such heritage. Boost numbers and whatnot.

I've said this 2 years ago and I'll say it again. Competition makes our art better. I'm glad to see such great work coming out now. Best of luck.

-Chin
Manage Your Collections with
http://www.Portfolio52.com

Every collection starts somewhere. Start your saga. Start with Seasons.
http://www.SeasonsPlayingCards.com
volantangel

Thanks everyone for the comments, indeed the clubs was the one area i wasnt completely happy about, i wanted it to be bigger and more strategically placed. We will try our best to find a sweet spot and integrate the clubs into the court better.

@Alex, Super stoked to be praised by one of my favourite designers, you have to come up with a new deck, one seasons isnt enough. I understand what you mean by the translucency, its the main drawing factor of stained glass, that "glow" that sets it apart from normal paintings, hopefully we can capture that in a playing card. Also we are avoiding the religious theme, for that we are not actually following any saints, and not having the "halo" behind their heads as depicted regularly. The courts are inspired off actual stained glass, but we are not looking for religious accuracy as that isnt our aim. Also it doesnt quite look like a colouring book now does it ?
Sher
Decks Owned: 100

Unread post by Sher »

I'm liking the second version of your queen much better. I think it is definitely more reminiscent of stained glass than the first one was, and I like that it fills up more of the card space.
ecNate
Decks Owned: 400

Unread post by ecNate »

Any updates on this one? I'm really liking where this was heading, but it's been almost 2 months. Hoping it's not a dead project... :(
volantangel

Hey Nate ! Sorry for the lack of updates, the artist recently got a new day job and that's her priority at the moment, when things are a little more settled we will pick this up again :)
blejanre
Deck Artist
Deck Artist
Decks Owned: 3

Unread post by blejanre »

Did this ever happen?
-Ben
BlueToy

Unread post by BlueToy »

This looks really promising. I hope the artists pick it up again. Have some suggestions if they do go around to doing so...
-Ly

http://paralumanstudio.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/paralumanstudios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/designers/paraluman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
volantangel

Sorry guys, im afraid the project is at a standstill, i wish to one day revive this project, but the artist is terribly busy at the moment and cant spare time to work on this. One day, one day..

But any suggestions would still be welcome =)